Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-18-2013, 01:57 PM

Default Cheapest US hunting licence for 6NIA ?

I am wanting to fill out my 6NIA form so that I can have it on hand just in case for this year and also for when I go to Alaska next May. Where is the cheapest/easiest on-line place to buy a US hunting license ? Also does anyone know if there is an expiry date for the 6NIA form ?
Thanks
Old 06-18-2013, 01:58 PM

not sure that's still required. maybe double check?
Old 06-18-2013, 03:50 PM

Default Still required

Was required last year. I think if you are entering Alaska with a gun and have a Texas license your not going to be successful. I hunt most years South of the border and have had no issues. Last year my father was refused entry with a 12 g bird gun, Texas license, (as its cheap) and a correct and approved 6n form. Just happened to get that one power tripping Homeland Security guy!
Old 06-18-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Was required last year. I think if you are entering Alaska with a gun and have a Texas license your not going to be successful. I hunt most years South of the border and have had no issues. Last year my father was refused entry with a 12 g bird gun, Texas license, (as its cheap) and a correct and approved 6n form. Just happened to get that one power tripping Homeland Security guy!
Your 6n form is good for 1 yr from the date its approved
Old 06-18-2013, 04:52 PM

go to losttarget.com they have all the steps laid out for ya! great website
Old 06-18-2013, 07:02 PM

Get an alaskan small game licence. It was like 24 bucks when I got one 2 years ago.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by full_throttle View Post
I am wanting to fill out my 6NIA form so that I can have it on hand just in case for this year and also for when I go to Alaska next May. Where is the cheapest/easiest on-line place to buy a US hunting license ? Also does anyone know if there is an expiry date for the 6NIA form ?
Thanks
If you are going to Alaska to hunt I would just drop the $300 for the Alaska licence and be done wit it. Most of the lower 48 licences are around140 to 150
Old 06-23-2013, 08:52 PM

Try Utah only about $35 and you can purchase online.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellbor View Post
Try Utah only about $35 and you can purchase online.
Pretty sure UTAH was in the $140 range, I had to buy one when I put in for the draws.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:50 AM

Default Cheapest U.S. Hunting Licence for 6NIA

Since this is an old thread, I thought I would update it.

1. You still need to include a valid hunting licence for any U.S. jurisdiction (doesn't have to be where you intend to hunt) along with your temporary import permit application.

2. I checked all of the States listed in this thread, and a few more, and the Alaska Non-Res Annual Small Game Licence for $60 USD is still the cheapest I can find. And it is done online.

3. When you are actually looking to cross the border into the U.S. for your hunting trip, you will obviously have to provide your valid 6NIA, but also a valid hunting licence for your actual destination and species. Planning to simply purchase one once you arrive at your destination is not usually going to work. Have your guide/outfitter send it to you before you leave, or buy it online.

4. Since you will obviously need to buy the actual licence for the species you intend to hunt anyway, I often just purchase that one and use it when applying for my 6NIA, instead of buying the Alaska Small Game that I will never actually use. The only problem with that, however, is that some jurisdictions don't issue fall hunting permits until late summer, and I don't like to wait that late to apply for my 6NIA, in case there are any problems with the application (they say it can take 8-10 weeks).
Old 03-27-2017, 12:59 PM

Got mine last year before my hunting license.....
Old 03-27-2017, 03:12 PM

Faxed mine last year got it back by email in pdf to be printed in 5 days.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:47 PM

100% hear say from a US Border Officer; "you know that you no longer need the US Valid License to apply for the 6N1A". After I got back I checked the US ATF sites etc. and could not find that to be true. So this year I will again get a ND non game License for <$20 US and attach it to the faxed / scanned
6N1A. As in other years I will have the printed License, Canadian Registration tag and form for the firearms, originals of the signed 6N1A, passport, all in a case or with me and I will declare the firearms upon entry.

I have had two issues with the border firearms crossing in a dozen or so crossings; once going into US, the Agent detained us while I presume looked into prior convictions, felony warrants etc. that process took an hour.

The second was with Canada custioms in that the young Customs Agent asked me to take the firearms into the office, I told her that they always come out the vehicle and Inspect as they have a procees for safety, she said NO bring them in. I was met at the door by a Customs officer c/w his weapon on alert. I asked him to go talk the Agent at the window as she said to do this. it turned out I was right, don't go into the office with firearms, no harm no foul. But it was sort a scary for 10 seconds or so.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:40 AM

You may not need the license but it goes easier if you have one when submitting the form. Cheapest is main coyote license $6.00. (Now it is a night hunting license $4.00). Have been using it for years. As to having a license for where you are going to hunt, all you need is a letter from the outfitter you are using. If you are self guiding then I would have the proper license bought in advance and take it with me too. You FAC, Approved Form 6 and you pass port or Nexus card are all you need for non restricted since there is no longer a registry in Canada.

I have never had an issue crossing the border to hunt or shoot in competition.

Last edited by Dean2; 03-28-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:45 AM

Dean; I understand you do not need the registration, BUT I've found they seem to like it and pay attention to it.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilngas View Post
Dean; I understand you do not need the registration, BUT I've found they seem to like it and pay attention to it.

Problem with that is over half the guys don't have registration certificates for their guns any more. If we get them used to still seeing them it messes up everyone else. If is the same as Hunting license or shooters invite. As a non-Visa entrant Canadians are not required to produce either. We can use the reason general target shooting as a perfectly viable reason to enter with firearms. I don't provide them initially in the doc package, Just the Approved form 6, my FAC and passport. If I get strong push back I will give them the Guide letter or hunting license but the ones that insist on them either don't know the law or are just pushing their "discretionary" envelope. With the Nexus card I have never had one push it.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:32 PM

I am confused here. You know you don't need a hunting license to get guns across the border right? But you still want to get one anyways in case?

Once you have the paperwork to o.k it(6NIA form) then you are cleared so why bother with a hunting licnese.

http://www.shootata.com/ATADiscussio...s/Default.aspx

When I went last year I stated on my form I was going to New Mexico hunting. No hunting license was available at the time I applied for the form and it all went fine including 2 other friends of mine.
They could easily wonder what you are up to if you have a hunting license in Alaska and are headed to texas.....
Old 03-28-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I am confused here. You know you don't need a hunting license to get guns across the border right? But you still want to get one anyways in case?

Once you have the paperwork to o.k it(6NIA form) then you are cleared so why bother with a hunting licnese.

http://www.shootata.com/ATADiscussio...s/Default.aspx

When I went last year I stated on my form I was going to New Mexico hunting. No hunting license was available at the time I applied for the form and it all went fine including 2 other friends of mine.
They could easily wonder what you are up to if you have a hunting license in Alaska and are headed to texas.....
Its amazing the amount of mis information out there...the hunting license or invitation to a shooting event requirement was done away with years ago (I know there was a time i needed it, but just looked at my old applications and starting in 2013 I didnt have one onward). You dont need anything other than to fill out your 6NIA form, get approval then your good to go. Ive taken rifles into the US many times both before and after the requirement for hunting licenses. The US is about the easiest country I have ever been to as far as getting in firearms. If the entire process to apply takes you more than 15 minutes, theres something wrong, lol
Old 03-29-2017, 09:12 AM

Yes it is amazing how many people will not take the time to read the information on the form and the requirements. It is all in paragraphs 18 and 19.

https://www.atf.gov/file/11386/download

Para 19:
Accordingly you must attach documentation to your ATF F 6NIA (5330.3D) application that establishes you fall within exception 1 or 2 of paragraph 18 in order to demonstrate your possession of the firearm(s) or ammunition in the United States will be lawful. In order for your application to be approved, you must provide ATF with a copy of either: (1) a valid hunting license or permit lawfully issued by the Federal Government, a State, or local government, or an Indian tribe federally recognized by the Bureau of Indian Affairs which is valid and unexpired (the hunting license/permit does NOT have to be from the State where you will be importing and/or using the firearm(s) and ammunition), or (2) an invitation and/or registration confirmation to attend a competitive target shooting event or sports or hunting trade show, sponsored by a national, State,
Old 03-29-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
Yes it is amazing how many people will not take the time to read the information on the form and the requirements. It is all in paragraphs 18 and 19.

https://www.atf.gov/file/11386/download

Para 19:
Accordingly you must attach documentation to your ATF F 6NIA (5330.3D) application that establishes you fall within exception 1 or 2 of paragraph 18 in order to demonstrate your possession of the firearm(s) or ammunition in the United States will be lawful. In order for your application to be approved, you must provide ATF with a copy of either: (1) a valid hunting license or permit lawfully issued by the Federal Government, a State, or local government, or an Indian tribe federally recognized by the Bureau of Indian Affairs which is valid and unexpired (the hunting license/permit does NOT have to be from the State where you will be importing and/or using the firearm(s) and ammunition), or (2) an invitation and/or registration confirmation to attend a competitive target shooting event or sports or hunting trade show, sponsored by a national, State,

Yes it does amaze me how many people don't read the instructions!!
Please carefully re-read the application and instructions. This requirement applies to applicants entering on a non-immigrant Visa. Canadians DO NOT require a non-immigrant Visa or any other kind of visa.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:51 AM

Well you boys have fun spending your money on a hunting license then... I'll keep my money in my pocket and will get my guns across the border with no issues at all. Cheers
Old 03-29-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Well you boys have fun spending your money on a hunting license then... I'll keep my money in my pocket and will get my guns across the border with no issues at all. Cheers

Wont you need a licence when you get there anyway And if so what difference would it make if you bought it before
Old 03-29-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Please carefully re-read the application and instructions. This requirement applies to applicants entering on a non-immigrant Visa. Canadians DO NOT require a non-immigrant Visa or any other kind of visa.
Hahahah!
Old 03-29-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguyd View Post
Wont you need a licence when you get there anyway And if so what difference would it make if you bought it before
Because sometimes it takes weeks before to apply for your papers to take your guns across the border. I try to do mine at least a month in advance. Last time I did it I filled it out wrong in one spot and it got returned after 3 weeks. So good thing I did it sooner. The Landowner tag I had was not ready at the time or I did not have the info either to use on my gun paperwork and it was not needed either. It was changed in 2012 I believe and you no longer need a hunting license.
What do guys do when they cross the border to shoot gophers? I would be surprised if you needed a license for those and guys cross all the time to go shoot prairie dogs in Montana. I have a friend who does it every year and never has mentioned needing a hunting license.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:42 PM

Nube
All you do is buy a license to hunt on goverment land in Montana. Just did mine think it was 11 dollars and it will get you into the states and just buy the license for what ever animal and state you want to hunt after. I use that to go pdog hunting.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Yes, my bad. A simple call to AFT clears it all up. I've been living in the past.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:20 PM

I was once turned back at the border because I did not have a valid hunting licence in my possession for the jurisdiction I was going to. I intended to purchase it once I got there, but that wasn't good enough. I too wondered what would happen if I was going to hunt something like feral hogs for which there is no licence in most places. I can't afford to take such chances anymore so I just get any licence for that jurisdiction and say that's what I'm going to hunt.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:46 PM

Well, further to my previous post, I just called the ATF and spoke with an agent who was very informative. They confirmed that ATF DOES NOT require that a hunting licence be submitted with the 6NIA application (I stand corrected on that). The ATF also DOES NOT require that you have any hunting licence in your possession when seeking to cross the border. HOWEVER, U.S. border services have and do enforce their own rules, including possibly requiring a hunting licence. In fact, this agent told me that they have even heard of instances where the border services agents required not just a valid hunting licence for the destination jurisdiction, but also for the jurisdiction of the port of entry. She recalled that it was Washington State that required the Canadian hunters travelling to hunt in California to not only produce their California licences but to also have Washington State licences. Although that sounds wrong to most of us, she said that border services enforce not only federal laws, but also state laws for that particular port of entry, so it's possible that Washington State has such an actual requirement.

In any event, she suggested calling border services for the particular port of entry you are looking to use and confirm their specific requirements. When I pointed out that the person you would speak to on the phone would likely not be the same agent you would be dealing with at the border, she suggesting getting the name of the agent you speak to on the phone and then referring to that name if the agent at the border says something different.

Bottom line to me is that nothing anyone says is going to be true or problem-free 100% of the time, as so much is left to the discretion and whims of the individual agent you happen to get at the border. I think the more steps we take to reduce the risk of a problem, and show that we have done our homework, the better the chances of a smooth crossing.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:56 PM

Hate to hear they didn't allow you entry. I crossed into Washington with firearms before and didn't have a problem. Had in my possession a hunting license from a state other than WA and it was not brought up that it was a requirement to have a hunting license from WA.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:17 PM

When I did it I had to list all firearms all ammunition and quantity I wanted to bring in.

LC