Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 01:40 AM

Well silver, you should leave the old vets out of it. I think they have earned the right to do what ever they want with it. Maybe some are selling a bit on the side to make ends meet....kinda sad when immigrants and refugees receive twice what a veteran receives to get by.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Well silver, you should leave the old vets out of it. I think they have earned the right to do what ever they want with it. Maybe some are selling a bit on the side to make ends meet....kinda sad when immigrants and refugees receive twice what a veteran receives to get by.
I'm not the one that brought up vets, hunterdave did. His words, not mine. Veterans didn't have to be dragged into this, but some can't resist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
better to live buzzed than suicidal I guess. The lesser of two evils?
I guess it is better.

his same post - another interesting point.

Quote:
As for recreational use......why no mention of the lack of focus and short term memory loss as a result of using it? That's not just reefer madness
But it's ok for someone to be using 10 ounces of weed a month.

Last edited by silverdoctor; 03-28-2017 at 01:58 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:05 AM
Banned

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by histyle View Post
More than anyone wants the government to know about!! There are a lot of people on this forum that make their own wine & beer. I have no idea how many make spirits, but I do know that it is made. Ask any welder who can weld stainless steel how many stills they've been asked to make

YEA , right , have you ever tasted some of the homemade rat **** eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee,
Old 03-28-2017, 05:09 AM

I ain't no angel nor claim too be.

I had my stint on that side of the tracks, and it was OK, but family, friends, funds, and life style all have factors that lead us where we want too be for the latter parts in years.

So one day I woke up too enjoy life sober so I could take life on full bore. My sober pumpkin deals with ideas "the puzzles in life" with no restrictions.

Hey, this works for me, but its up to others what works for them.

Getting my self act together has allowed me too have funds for traveling, quading, sleds back in the day, camping, food, Harvesting, fishing, and many other out door activities as this is my new drug of choice.

Yes that life comes with bags of crap that is hard for folks to deal with at times, "up too each too find what works."

I'll take on life sober as my noodle works best at life's puzzle. Lucky I guess.

Funds saved too do things, buy stuff related to out doors, gas to get there, and a life worth living with funds saved for my retirement years "hopefully."

Find your path of where one wants to be in 10 or 60 years from now, set up the game plan too get there.
Aline funds and life too hit those goals so one can enjoy more time off, travel, Harvesting, fishing, camping and relaxing.

Really, addictions are masks for us to relax, cut stresses, issues in life, purhaps looking at it from other angles "sober" might be an option.

Just a bit of what works for others and my self as we have options of what works for us.

Been living life gooder for 10 ish + years, the sun shines it's brightest when nothing blocks the view.

Might take a year or 2 too get there, but when it happens one will think back too this post, and remember how bright that sun can be from the top of the Mountains of Alberta and BC.

PS: It might be cloudy and raining out side, but the sun light is always turn on in one mind if we choose to except it this way.

Don
Old 03-28-2017, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallardMan View Post
Almost everyone I know who smokes marihuana is a true addict. The weed controls their life. If you need to smoke marihuana to get your day going, to relax, to go to a movie... then you are an addict. It's pathetic that this garbage will be sold and supplied like it is popcorn. If you have a medical need for marihuana its already available and a licence is easy to get. For those of you that need to get high to go about your life, you truly do need to grow up. My opinion as I have seen alot of people start with marihuana and go on to harder drugs. Rant done.
There is a lot of ignorance in this post. I know a hundred people that use MJ that haven't and don't use other drugs.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
There is a lot of ignorance in this post. I know a hundred people that use MJ that haven't and don't use other drugs.
No different than alcohol .
I know lots of people who drink regularly with no issues .
I also know a lot of people who shouldn't drink but do .
Addiction is not s simple thing to define , especially when it comes to alcohol and
cannibas . I don't think we are going to see a huge influx of issues concerning weed , the biggest thing will be that the Govetnment can tax it .
There is s lot of misunderstanding and misconceptions concerning medical marijuana and frankly if I was using it I would be taking pills instead of smoking it .
I find the smoke from it to be particularly offensive to me as opposed to tobacco
Smoke
Cat
Old 03-28-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
You don't read this stuff do you...

That article is on "synthetic" cannabinoids.
I do. Thanks for being concerned.
Spice is a real problem. Usage spiked in Colorado with legalizing pot. Cannibis use disorder is getting more concerning in Colorado.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-28-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Addiction is not s simple thing to define , especially when it comes to alcohol and
cannibas . I don't think we are going to see a huge influx of issues concerning weed , the biggest thing will be that the Govetnment can tax it .
There is s lot of misunderstanding and misconceptions concerning medical marijuana and frankly if I was using it I would be taking pills instead of smoking it .
I find the smoke from it to be particularly offensive to me as opposed to tobacco
Smoke
Cat
This post is the most reasonable post of this entire thread. Addiction is complex and isn't picky either. It can affect anyone from any walk of life and you won't find one addict that will say they woke up one day and decided to become addicted to something.

I spent considerable amount of time on the Island this past year where I have met people that either work at both at a licensed producer or dispensary. All good people, most don't even smoke but they recognize the medicinal values of marijuana and how it helps people. It's still pretty hard to get a prescription for medicinal marijuana and the people who use dispensaries the most aren't hoodlums and stoners, it's seniors who have found something to aid their conditions without the debilitating effects that prescription drugs cause. They either haven't found a doctor yet who will give them a prescription or they're concerned about being labeled a stoner. The stigma is still pretty strong, reading this thread alone proves that.

Those who work at the licensed producers say that doctors know little to nothing about prescribing and that's where the 10 grams a day comes in. They'll call and follow through with the doctors and inform them that 10 grams is a lot but doctors will say leave it like it is.

The idea of legalization is to take the brunt of the market away from organized crime. And for those who defend prescription narcotics, many doctors are responsible for creating addicts by over prescribing drugs like Oxy to those with moderate pain.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle33448409/
Old 03-28-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Smoke
Cat
I had a tour of a medical marijuana facility not long ago. They extract the THC, remove the turpentine's that give it smell and taste, remove the fats and lipids , then cut it with a natural oil. The refined product has no smell or taste and can be applied orally under the tongue. Pretty amazing technology really. I can't stand the smell of it burning either. If I was dealing with chronic pain I would definitely try the extracted oil.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Curious if it gets you stoned or if it's a strain that doesn't do that. MJ is a preferred medication to many Veterans suffering from PTSD. So much so that Justin recently reduced the daily amount that Veterans Affairs will provide them with because of the cost. Some Veterans swear by it......better to live buzzed than suicidal I guess. The lesser of two evils?

As for recreational use......why no mention of the lack of focus and short term memory loss as a result of using it? That's not just reefer madness.
I don't get stoned or high or whatever.
I do use a lot of different strains , some high in THC, some high in CBD and the mix of both , I find that the stains with equal THC/CBD to be the most help for chronic pain. I eat & smoke it .

1 problem with medications is that over time , that 10mg of oxy just isn't cutting the pain , so now I need 2. Before to long you'll be on 80mg pills,
cannibis is no different . Thats why some people are aloud more then some can conceive as expectable amount .(10 a day is the max I've ever of ) I have never used my full alouded amount in a day but because I hate the pills I've learned to handle the pain and live with it .

Take today for example, I woke up and im feeling pretty good, I don't have any shooting pains or strong pains( I can feel my knees are not what a normal person should be and I'm not feeling my 3 bad disks in my back) so no meds

If something starts to hurt more then I'd like I can smoke and feel better and carry on as if their wasn't a problem or I take an oxy and I'm a puddle no good for anything. If I wake up in pain, I can smoke for relief and eat oil for longer lasting affects .

As for people buying from the companies and reselling it, it's not happening .
Their is about 15 companies your aloud to pick from to supply your meds . Even the ones with the business model of sell cheap and large volumes, I can still get it cheaper on the "black market"

Closed mines have hurt mankind so much
Just look at the history of the church , science was black magic , think of how far ahead we'd be right now if it wasn't for the two thousand years of oppression.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:18 AM

Growing up, the group of people I associated with, probably 99% tried or used alcohol. I'd say 80% tried or used cigarettes. I'd say that only somewhere around 50% or less tried or used marijuana. I'd say 5% were trying or using harder drugs.

If marijuana had been legalized in my youth, I wonder if that 50% of marijuana users would be on par with the 80% cigarette smokers or 99% alcohol users.

I have struggled with the legalization of marijuana. The common sense in me tells me to tax it and move on. However, I struggle with the effects it will have on others. I also believe that alcohol is as destructive or more so than marijuana. So we don't need to debate that.

My main struggle comes with the fact that I never used pot. Had it been legal in my youth I wonder if I would've? If I had, would my life be different? I did many stupid things while I was a young man. Maybe I would've done less, maybe more. I personally never lost any friends in my youth. If we were all stoned would that still hold true today?

Now I relate this to my kids. Now they have easier access (maybe legal access is a better term) to it. Now I wonder how it effects their lives? That right there is the very reason I somewhat oppose this legislation. If I didn't have kids I would say legalize it however. I really struggle with this one.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:25 AM

This isn't a war on drugs it's a war on personal freedoms

Let's look at Portugal 🇵🇹
In 2001 they made all drugs legal , many though it was going to be the end for the country, they've had full legalization for over 15 years
There's nothing but good to say, drug use gone down , rehab increases
Crime is less.

Google it
Old 03-28-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
I can't believe they didn't choose April 20 to announce the legislation. Opportunity missed!

Cheers
That would have been very appropriate.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooter View Post
Are you a PhD on this matter? Or perhaps you're writing your Masters on this topic? My point being, what credentials do you have to make this statement? My personal belief is that marijuana is a stepping stone to the "problem" drugs.
While weed may not be healthy (no matter what the internet doctors tell you), it certainly causes less physical and social issues than alcohol and that is legal.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
If the government can keep the prices low. It will work. If they get greedy and charge to much, people will grow dope and undercut the govt. if the govt can sell an ounce for 150.00 or lower, they win.
I seem to remember reading about this in the US. From what I recall Colorado kept there prices low and it went well and Washington did excactly the oposite and it didn't???? Hopefully I'm remembering it correctly
Old 03-28-2017, 10:34 AM
Banned

Arrow

FREEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!

Lets see if we can get some firearm laws more relaxed or removed now.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:08 AM
Banned

Default .

l sit back and watch everyone argue about it ,while l make money from it.
l don't use it ,but l bought stock in it 2 yrs ago just before Trudeau said he was going to legalize it , figured if that happens , the stock should be the next Bre-x , sure enough , l bought it for $2.25 a share now its at $12.00 a share , word is , after its legalized ,skys the limit.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
My main struggle comes with the fact that I never used pot. Had it been legal in my youth I wonder if I would've? If I had, would my life be different? I did many stupid things while I was a young man. Maybe I would've done less, maybe more. I personally never lost any friends in my youth. If we were all stoned would that still hold true today?

Now I relate this to my kids. Now they have easier access (maybe legal access is a better term) to it. Now I wonder how it effects their lives? That right there is the very reason I somewhat oppose this legislation. If I didn't have kids I would say legalize it however. I really struggle with this one.
Question for you, given a choice between your teen choosing weed or another street drug like meth, which would you prefer? No parent can stop their child from doing drugs, all you can do is educate and hope they make the right choices.

That said. how many parents are treating their ADHD children (for example) with strong pharma drugs? Adderall and Ritalin are good examples, both are now street drugs with an increasing addiction rate. Again, out of Isreal, it's looking like weed is an effective treatment.

But yet, weed is a terrible thing.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Question for you, given a choice between your teen choosing weed or another street drug like meth, which would you prefer? No parent can stop their child from doing drugs, all you can do is educate and hope they make the right choices.

That said. how many parents are treating their ADHD children (for example) with strong pharma drugs? Adderall and Ritalin are good examples, both are now street drugs with an increasing addiction rate. Again, out of Isreal, it's looking like weed is an effective treatment.

But yet, weed is a terrible thing.
As a parent, am I the only one who thinks this is a ridiculous question to ask someone about their kid?
Old 03-28-2017, 12:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgill808 View Post
As a parent, am I the only one who thinks this is a ridiculous question to ask someone about their kid?
It was meant to be a ridiculous question.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:30 PM

Soooo......

Other than the current medical users and system...
We all know that the current distribution for marijuana is a massive cash cow for organized crime and even a living for the small time sellers. In fact the last time I did a little digging on it, the estimate for JUST BC alone had the illegal marijuana industry at $6 billion a year in GDP. That was ahead of the lumber industry at 5billion.

So lets say that these numbers are correct......obviously across ALL of Canada, thats a LOT of money in this business. Wanna guess.....25 billion a year??

Now the cost to produce marijuana......even if its 50% of the final price, the profit currently flowing to organized crime...lets say 25% of this to organized gangs and 25% to the little end dealers is easily around 12.5 billion.

The end numbers could be low by a factor of 10, but its just for scale for the next segment of this post.

By the govt legalizing it and taking it over, there is lot of cash that is going to flow to the govt. That may be good for the taxpayer, BUT......

What is going to happen with organized crime and the small dealers living on it? (This is not a sympathy post) Think about it before you post............not sure how many of these people are going to put down their patches or dust off a resume that shows they haven't held a job for 20 years.

AND how is BC going to handle loosing their number one industry? (Again not a sympathy post.......maybe they can learn to weld pipelines)
Old 03-28-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
It was meant to be a ridiculous question.
But, unfortunately it is a very realistic question unless you have your head buried in the sand.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:37 PM

Default Offensive

Thanks moderator. For deleting my opinion again seem everyone else is a aloud there's must be a pot head. Done with this useless site.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:44 PM

I find allot of what I've read in this thread bewildering to be honest. Nobody I've ever met who uses pot has ever experienced any negative effects, unless overeating snack foods applies. From what I know of them, interest in drugs never escalated from it either. If there exists compelling evidence that it's a "gateway" drug, I've yet to see it. My impression of it is that it's relatively harmless, but if you're an "addictive" personality, you probably don't have boundaries of any kind. If it's not booze, it's pot. If it's not pot, it's something else..but it WILL be something, always.

What I HAVE seen allot of (and my wife and I are of Irish descent) all my life is how alcohol destroys lives. I've seen (in my family) a cocktail of prescription drugs and depression lead to suicide attempts (more than I care to reveal here) and have even seen one of those attempts turn into more than an attempt. My brother in law is fighting a life-long addiction to alcohol right now and there are daily discussions about whether or not "today is the day". I've lost my dad (pancreatic cancer) my father in law (lung cancer) and my closest friend (pancreatic cancer) all in the last 5 years, all life-long cigarette smokers. On the contrary, I've seen pot restore the appetite of people fighting cancer in my life, I have a close personal friend who turned to it as a last-resort and it's turned his life around...he's no longer fighting depression, and is off all pharmaceuticals.

You can believe all of what I've said or none of it, but in my experience...I'm left with the impression that at the VERY least...it's a personal decision, and a better alternative/life choice than cigarettes or tobacco will ever be for most people. Use it/don't use it~up to the individual, but I wonder about hysteria level surrounding the discussion. I've also never heard the smell of burning pot described as a "stench" until I read some of the comments here! YES our prime minister is a first-rate, attention-mongering knuckle-head...and YES, this is likely politically driven. However, I don't think that necessarily makes it a bad idea.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Growing up, the group of people I associated with, probably 99% tried or used alcohol. I'd say 80% tried or used cigarettes. I'd say that only somewhere around 50% or less tried or used marijuana. I'd say 5% were trying or using harder drugs.

If marijuana had been legalized in my youth, I wonder if that 50% of marijuana users would be on par with the 80% cigarette smokers or 99% alcohol users.

I have struggled with the legalization of marijuana. The common sense in me tells me to tax it and move on. However, I struggle with the effects it will have on others. I also believe that alcohol is as destructive or more so than marijuana. So we don't need to debate that.

This is really my concern and viewpoint as well. Well said!!! As a parent I worry that my kids will want to try it (and it will be easy because it will be legal) and end up in a less fortunate spot than otherwise could have been. I worry for them and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooter View Post
This is really my concern and viewpoint as well. Well said!!! As a parent I worry that my kids will want to try it (and it will be easy because it will be legal) and end up in a less fortunate spot than otherwise could have been. I worry for them and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Your concerns as a parent are warranted. I worry that my kids will drink, smoke, do drugs, get sexually abused, abducted, killed in a car accident and so on.

Where I would disagree with you is that it's easy to get now. Legalizing it would only mean that you have to be 18 and buy it in a store like cigarettes. I would argue it's easier for a kid to get dope than cigarettes today.

Cheers
Old 03-28-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskinner View Post
l sit back and watch everyone argue about it ,while l make money from it.
l don't use it ,but l bought stock in it 2 yrs ago just before Trudeau said he was going to legalize it , figured if that happens , the stock should be the next Bre-x , sure enough , l bought it for $2.25 a share now its at $12.00 a share , word is , after its legalized ,skys the limit.
I would suggest that you sell now.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingaddict View Post
Thanks moderator. For deleting my opinion again seem everyone else is a aloud there's must be a pot head. Done with this useless site.
Before you get all sarcastic and stuff I just checked this thread and there was nothing of yours deleted and another moderator delet d but one post here so before you get all offended maybe go back and check for yourself.
The only reason a post would be delet d was if it truly was either offensive , off topic or simply trolling.

Cat
Old 03-28-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
Soooo......

Other than the current medical users and system...
We all know that the current distribution for marijuana is a massive cash cow for organized crime and even a living for the small time sellers. In fact the last time I did a little digging on it, the estimate for JUST BC alone had the illegal marijuana industry at $6 billion a year in GDP. That was ahead of the lumber industry at 5billion.

So lets say that these numbers are correct......obviously across ALL of Canada, thats a LOT of money in this business. Wanna guess.....25 billion a year??

Now the cost to produce marijuana......even if its 50% of the final price, the profit currently flowing to organized crime...lets say 25% of this to organized gangs and 25% to the little end dealers is easily around 12.5 billion.

The end numbers could be low by a factor of 10, but its just for scale for the next segment of this post.

By the govt legalizing it and taking it over, there is lot of cash that is going to flow to the govt. That may be good for the taxpayer, BUT......

What is going to happen with organized crime and the small dealers living on it? (This is not a sympathy post) Think about it before you post............not sure how many of these people are going to put down their patches or dust off a resume that shows they haven't held a job for 20 years.

AND how is BC going to handle loosing their number one industry? (Again not a sympathy post.......maybe they can learn to weld pipelines)
They are not losing their number one industry, they are just able to collect taxes from it! Highly doubt those dealers were filing tax returns...
Old 03-28-2017, 01:11 PM

Just to dispel a myth, You can overdose on THC and die.

Just like you can with alcohol or even water or oxygen....

That being said as a safety person I actually with they would legalize it so they could set a level of impairment like they do with alcohol and have a test that determines current levels such as a saliva test.

I ascribe to the gateway drug theory.... but what I have seen is the biggest gateway to drug abuse is through prescription opiates and then because the withdrawal is so horrible people resort to other opiates such as fentanyl.

Why is fentanyl so popular... because an amount of carfentanyl that could stone all of Edmonton can be smuggled in a package no bigger than two decks of playing cards. It can be shipped through the mail, there is no odor or smell drug dogs can detect. It really is a business decision...

Problem is weed is being laced with fentanyl to create stronger addictions.

One thing I always tell my kids is that they call weed dope.... for a reason.
Closed Thread