Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-27-2017, 10:57 PM

Default License to Guide in Alberta

Hi Guys,

I was just wondering if any of you knew if you need any sort of license to guide in AB? Or is it just the type of thing where you can just go ahead and do it?

Any tips/info you guys have would be much appreciated!
Old 03-27-2017, 10:58 PM

Are you thinking about becoming a guide?
Old 03-27-2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason.seaward View Post
Are you thinking about becoming a guide?
Just something to do on the side....I do it a lot anyway, figure I could maybe make a few bucks or at least break even haha.

All that being said I want to make sure it's set up properly!
Old 03-28-2017, 12:07 AM

Apply at shop for a guiding position if you really want to do it properly. Don't be another self proclaimed guide.

Register through AOGAA (Alberta Outfitter and Guide Association of Alberta) Might not be government run, but you're credible within the community. If you want to be your own guide/outfitter you require insurance to be properly registered. If you work under a shop, generally the shop carries insurance. Contact Nancy Storwick at Fish tales if you're truly interested. You also require emergency first aid to be a member of said organization.

Don't dilute the guiding pool like the other wannabes. Do it right.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:22 AM

YOU just need to find a outfitter to work for and he will get you your guides licence $25 that's all no courses ,no school your a guide
Old 03-28-2017, 06:33 AM

I have guided in both BC and Alberta, Be sure to be covered by an emergency First Aid and insurance. You are libel as a guide for the welfare and well being of your client. Over the years I have had a few instances where medical knowledge was critical. Plus if you are faced with litigation general insurance will not do it. I've even seen guides sued over non performance (lack of knowledge).

As was suggested the best way to start is to work for an existing guide service and be covered with their umbrella as there are a host of pitfalls.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 03-28-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
Apply at shop for a guiding position if you really want to do it properly. Don't be another self proclaimed guide.

Register through AOGAA (Alberta Outfitter and Guide Association of Alberta) Might not be government run, but you're credible within the community. If you want to be your own guide/outfitter you require insurance to be properly registered. If you work under a shop, generally the shop carries insurance. Contact Nancy Storwick at Fish tales if you're truly interested. You also require emergency first aid to be a member of said organization.

Don't dilute the guiding pool like the other wannabes. Do it right.
Do you have a link? Because I couldn't find anything on the web about AOGAA.

They thing is that I know most of my clients through the relationships I have built through my "day job". I just want to A) make sure I am covered if anything happens and B) set it up so it could be something I do full time when I am older/semi-retired.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shortington View Post
Do you have a link? Because I couldn't find anything on the web about AOGAA.

They thing is that I know most of my clients through the relationships I have built through my "day job". I just want to A) make sure I am covered if anything happens and B) set it up so it could be something I do full time when I am older/semi-retired.
BHFlyfisher gave you the steps needed to get a hold of the AOGAA.

A) If you want to just be covered have a business license, insurance and file your taxes. it's going to take a few thousand for the insurance.

B) It's not a "retired" guys gig unless you have super shoulders at 65.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:52 AM

ARE you talking about fishing only ,
Old 03-28-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
ARE you talking about fishing only ,
Yessir!
Old 03-28-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
BHFlyfisher gave you the steps needed to get a hold of the AOGAA.

A) If you want to just be covered have a business license, insurance and file your taxes. it's going to take a few thousand for the insurance.

B) It's not a "retired" guys gig unless you have super shoulders at 65.
Yeah I appreciate his help but I couldnt find anything on the web about an organization called the AOGAA.

I appreciated the advise re: insurance etc. I am already on my way to securing those things.

My day job is stressful and if all goes well I wont have to do it until i'm 65....
Old 03-28-2017, 10:24 AM
Gone Hunting

What is it you want to guide for?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-28-2017, 10:42 AM

Don't think you need much to guide for fishing ,I guess if its a business than you should have First aid ,insurance and liability,
Old 03-28-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
What is it you want to guide for?
Sorry! Haha. Just fishing!
Old 03-28-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Yeah I appreciate his help but I couldnt find anything on the web about an organization called the AOGAA.
BHFlyfisher never said anything about websites, but he did tell you who to contact if you are serious.
No body is going to spoon feed you through this process, the guides that are registered want to see you put some effort into the process and they strive to keep the stink of "fly-by night" guides off of themselves publicly.

If it is to much effort for some the chaff separates itself from the wheat. The reality is that you can just say "I'm a guide," and you'll be a guide in Alberta, BUT if you want to build something sustainable and profession jump through the hoops. Your days on the water will be easier.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
BHFlyfisher never said anything about websites, but he did tell you who to contact if you are serious.
No body is going to spoon feed you through this process, the guides that are registered want to see you put some effort into the process and they strive to keep the stink of "fly-by night" guides off of themselves publicly.

If it is to much effort for some the chaff separates itself from the wheat. The reality is that you can just say "I'm a guide," and you'll be a guide in Alberta, BUT if you want to build something sustainable and profession jump through the hoops. Your days on the water will be easier.
Sorry if I am confused. Are you saying that the AOGAA literally doesn't have a website? And that it isn't mentioned anywhere on the internet? My next call will be to a few of the shops, but I am just wondering how this organization can be beneficial when it's hard for people to know if it even exists?
Old 03-28-2017, 06:26 PM

Also, if you are considering guiding within a Provincial Park (launching a boat or rigging up or teaching a Spey casting class within Fish Creek PP, or taking clients to Upper K Lakes, for example) you require a permit (though I suspect most guides/shops don't know this or don't care - just wait until one of their clients has a heart attack and their liability insurance doesn't cover them). My AB Parks Permit cost me about $500 per season ( to which you have to prove a minimum of $2,000000 in liability insurance -which adds another $700+, and that's before the season even starts)!

-Confucius

Last edited by ÜberFly; 03-28-2017 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:30 PM

BS! Never heard of this!! Where did you hear of this "Guide License"?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
YOU just need to find a outfitter to work for and he will get you your guides licence $25 that's all no courses ,no school your a guide

-Confucius

Last edited by ÜberFly; 03-28-2017 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:54 PM

Default Dr Shortington

FYI Sent you a PM Boat Cover...contact me
Old 03-29-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:

I think he was confused as Jeremie said who to contact but never said anything about how to contact them. He was asking for a website as that is how most people look up contact information. I don't think he is asking to be spoon fed, rather just some contact information rather than just a name of some organization he can't find online.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:36 AM

There is no website. At best there is a facebook group. Alberta does not have any regulations on guiding, so those that are recognized and part of the FF guiding community took it upon themselves to self regulate.

If you want to be have credibility within the commmunity, you will do what I told you, and contact Nancy about joining. Any shop you apply at will also ask you to join the AOGAA, because it proves your credibility and that you do in some way have insurance either for yourself or through the shop, and you have the first aid certification.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
There is no website. At best there is a facebook group. Alberta does not have any regulations on guiding, so those that are recognized and part of the FF guiding community took it upon themselves to self regulate.

If you want to be have credibility within the commmunity, you will do what I told you, and contact Nancy about joining. Any shop you apply at will also ask you to join the AOGAA, because it proves your credibility and that you do in some way have insurance either for yourself or through the shop, and you have the first aid certification.
So if you don't mind me asking, what are the credentials to join the group? If I just call up Nancy and join them, how does that give me any credibility? Sorry I am just trying to understand the situation, and how the group works.

Aside from this group, I would assume that gaining credibility in the community would happen by my actions while I am operating vs. just joining the AOGAA.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:22 PM

Default Spoon Feeding

Is it that hard to make a phone call? She will give you explicit details on how to join. The fee to join is minimal, what the AOGAA allows for, is for you to be a part of the guiding community that is recognized by all fly shops in Calgary or any outfitter that would guide throughout Alberta.

This allows/does three things

1. If a shop is ever short on guides they have a list they go through, if they can't find anyone for their days, they contact members of the group to fill the guided days that they have.

2. Your fees go to an "organization" that lobby's for things such as regulation changes, boat launch improvement, etc etc. Its a very small group in Alberta that are guiding fly fishing seriously and do it to make a living.

3. Gives you a sort of title, that if anyone were to check in on your credibility should anything ever arise, they can vouch your credibility as being a licensed guide, with the appropriate first aid certifications and in one form or another, you're insured.

Why is this so hard? Just call Nancy. She will give you a run down for what is required if you want to do it properly. Honestly what is the issue? If you can't make a simple phone call instead of trying to just find it over the internet, to someone about being certified as a guide and doing it right, I dont think your social skills or people skills are going to get you very far in guiding. Guiding is a people business, you have to interact with people, and being a real guide isn't a way to fish and make money while fishing.

Here's a hypothetical situation for you, because I'm assuming the issue for you is the cost of insurance or lacking the emergency first aid certs.

If you end up somehow managing to achieve a clientele, and say an American is in your boat/walking along the river with you. He has a heart attack, and dies. What are you covered by if his family tries to sue?

Just make the call or do it without joining the AOGAA and be just another pseudo guide like all the wannabes on instagram and facebook.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:33 PM

Enough bull***** let's get fishing I'll go first how much for a day?I promise I won't have a heart attack or die this discussion could go on for weeks about good guides bad guides.Everybody is self proclaimed guide so let him do his thing and make a name for himself and if it fails it's not your problem.Now back to fishing talk.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Is it that hard to make a phone call? She will give you explicit details on how to join. The fee to join is minimal, what the AOGAA allows for, is for you to be a part of the guiding community that is recognized by all fly shops in Calgary or any outfitter that would guide throughout Alberta.

1. If a shop is ever short on guides they have a list they go through, if they can't find anyone for their days, they contact members of the group to fill the guided days that they have.

2. Your fees go to an "organization" that lobby's for things such as regulation changes, boat launch improvement, etc etc. Its a very small group in Alberta that are guiding fly fishing seriously and do it to make a living.

3. Gives you a sort of title, that if anyone were to check in on your credibility should anything ever arise, they can vouch your credibility as being a licensed guide, with the appropriate first aid certifications and in one form or another, you're insured.

Why is this so hard? Just call Nancy. She will give you a run down for what is required if you want to do it properly. Honestly what is the issue? If you can't make a simple phone call instead of trying to just find it over the internet, to someone about being certified as a guide and doing it right, I dont think your social skills or people skills are going to get you very far in guiding. Guiding is a people business, you have to interact with people, and being a real guide isn't a way to fish and make money while fishing.

Here's a hypothetical situation for you, because I'm assuming the issue for you is the cost of insurance or lacking the emergency first aid certs.

If you end up somehow managing to achieve a clientele, and say an American is in your boat/walking along the river with you. He has a heart attack, and dies. What are you covered by if his family tries to sue?

Just make the call or do it without joining the AOGAA and be just another pseudo guide like all the wannabes on instagram and facebook.
It isn't hard and I have not stated I am not willing to call Nancy....I was just asking for a little more information about a group that you have knowledge of so that I can understand them a little beforehand. I do not understand why you get the impression I am not willing to call, so please save your rant about people skills. Your 3 points are the exact types of things I was inquiring about, so thank you for that.

I still don't understand why a guide who is not a member of the AOGAA is not as qualified as someone who is? I agree that it is more likely they have their stuff together but I would assume that there are many quality guides out there that are not members of the AOGAA, or am I mistaken??? (I am just asking this as a question)
Old 03-29-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vital shok View Post
Enough bull***** let's get fishing I'll go first how much for a day?I promise I won't have a heart attack or die this discussion could go on for weeks about good guides bad guides.Everybody is self proclaimed guide so let him do his thing and make a name for himself and if it fails it's not your problem.Now back to fishing talk.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
It isn't hard and I have not stated I am not willing to call Nancy....I was just asking for a little more information about a group that you have knowledge of so that I can understand them a little beforehand. I do not understand why you get the impression I am not willing to call, so please save your rant about people skills. Your 3 points are the exact types of things I was inquiring about, so thank you for that.

I still don't understand why a guide who is not a member of the AOGAA is not as qualified as someone who is? I agree that it is more likely they have their stuff together but I would assume that there are many quality guides out there that are not members of the AOGAA, or am I mistaken??? (I am just asking this as a question)
Sorry for the rant, and if it felt like I went off on you. A situation has arisen in the last 4-5 years with wannabe guides/guiding companies who just go ahead and guide because there are no regulations in place. Pseudo guides are a pet peeve of mine.

Yes, if you did not specifically register with AOGAA, you could still guide without issue and as Jayhad recommended, a business license and liability insurance and your first aid would be sufficient. In the end, your best way to get into guiding is still through a fly shop. Its such a small group especially if you're based out of Calgary, and everyone knows everyone.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:09 PM

Interesting thread. I have no intention of being a guide for compensation but have been on a number of guided trips down the Bow and in Montana and California. Compared to the latter, Alberta requirements/regulations for guides seem to be pretty loosy goosy (sp?)so maybe things need to be tightened up here? The trips here charge the same amount of money.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:09 PM

Chief16 has guided me a couple times and he's great! Not even that expensive. He's also a nice guy, hard to find these days.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:

Dude, all he was doing is how to contact this AOGAA thing. Its pretty hard to find something when you don't know where to begin. Taking a leap to saying someone has no social skills because he doesn't have to phone number to physically dial is quite absurd. This AOGAA sounds like some underground organization thing by the lack of description you are giving and wouldn't be a surprise if people wanting to get into guiding didn't join this group simple because of the cliche surrounding it. Just because someone is not part of the "in" group of fly fishers in Calgary does not mean they are going to be a terrible guide.

I am assuming by how the rest of this post went that he knows who Nancy is but repeatedly telling some to "JUST CALL NANCY" is getting nowhere. If he wanted to be a "psuedoguide" i don't think he would be putting in the effort here to trying and start out right. Give the guy a break and actually help him rather than putting him down.