Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-29-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief16 View Post
Dude, all he was doing is how to contact this AOGAA thing. Its pretty hard to find something when you don't know where to begin. Taking a leap to saying someone has no social skills because he doesn't have to phone number to physically dial is quite absurd. This AOGAA sounds like some underground organization thing by the lack of description you are giving and wouldn't be a surprise if people wanting to get into guiding didn't join this group simple because of the cliche surrounding it. Just because someone is not part of the "in" group of fly fishers in Calgary does not mean they are going to be a terrible guide.

I am assuming by how the rest of this post went that he knows who Nancy is but repeatedly telling some to "JUST CALL NANCY" is getting nowhere. If he wanted to be a "psuedoguide" i don't think he would be putting in the effort here to trying and start out right. Give the guy a break and actually help him rather than putting him down.
Dude, Very first recommendation was trying to be helpful, was to call Nancy, who is one of the organizers for AOGAA for more info about the AOGAA if he was serious. He asked how to do it properly, I told him to call fish tales fly shop and speak to Nancy. I Explained it further a second time, and it still wasn't sufficient. A quick google search for fish tales fly shop, gives you this phone number 403 640-1273

Had he called FT and Nancy from the get go would we be having this conversation? It had to be reiterated 5 times in total by myself and Jayhad that it was in his best interest to call Nancy for further information, who would have given him a full explanation as to how the AOGAA works.

There also is no "in" crowd. The fly fishing world exists outside of AO and Facebook. These are guides that do it full time during the summer and take their jobs seriously, because its how they support their families. Not just doing it on the side like so many are trying to do. Not saying OP is doing that because he is legitimately interested.

Labels me as an dick apparently for trying to help 2 times before spelling it out. Shouldn't bother helping anyone in the first place, and next time, wont.

Last edited by Bhflyfisher; 03-29-2017 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:51 PM

I wonder if you're a guide? I'd do my best to avoid you, judging by how you act like a child.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:11 PM

I need to apologize in here. I had misread it and did not realize that BHflyfisher said contact Nancy at Fishtales. I should not have made the comment I did and am at fault for this.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:06 AM

I hope you guys have a good one!
Old 03-30-2017, 12:41 PM

Yeah I really didn't mean to offend anyone and I hope nobody was too bent out of shape, just wanted a little more info that's all!

Thanks BH for the tips, I will take you up on that! Meanwhile if any of you would like to go for a float one day keep me in mind!
Old 03-30-2017, 05:38 PM

This "Nancy" person sounds like Keyser Soze, be careful out there
Old 03-30-2017, 07:02 PM

After taking to a fish cop. Was told there is no fishing guide licence in Alberta.
Only in Big game hunting.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:50 AM

It is my understanding that if you want to guide for fishtales that you need to be a member of the guide association they organize.
Also is it possible to have a well drawn up liability waiver in place for clients to sign to avoid the outfitters insurance?
Old 03-31-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleflyfisher View Post
It is my understanding that if you want to guide for fishtales that you need to be a member of the guide association they organize.
Also is it possible to have a well drawn up liability waiver in place for clients to sign to avoid the outfitters insurance?
Hi Eagle,

The way I understand it through my insurance company is the premium is much lower if you do....but I am not sure if many guide companies have waivers or not??
Old 03-31-2017, 08:52 AM

When I submit my renewal info every season to my insurance company, I must confirm use of a waiver and medical info document. Don't take waivers lightly! "Well Written" vs "Professionally" written by a lawyer, two different things!! Lucky for me, my Association allows me to use their waiver! The benefits of being a member of a professional association!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shortington View Post
Hi Eagle,

The way I understand it through my insurance company is the premium is much lower if you do....but I am not sure if many guide companies have waivers or not??

-Confucius
Old 03-31-2017, 05:00 PM

Yup if it will make you fuzzy and warm inside join that club that was just made up from a local fishing guide here in town.
Been on a few fly-in fishing camps in the north ,never sighed a waver .
Old 03-31-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleflyfisher View Post
Bow river troutfitters, out fly fishing adventures and I believe CP and Ironbow all require it. Not just fish tales.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:42 PM

So your saying a fish & wildlife cop is going to give you a ticket or hall you to court.
Old 04-01-2017, 03:18 PM

To all who have been discussing this. I don't get very much time to post or even read some of these forums but this was brought to my attention due to the fact that our business and my wife is being mentioned a lot!! Nancy is away right now so could not respond. I want to make some things crystal clear.

Nancy is president, and has been for a number of years, of the AOGAA (Angling Outfitters and Guide Association of Alberta). Currently this is strictly a voluntary organization that has about 55 members and is growing constantly. The fact there are no "rules" in place for fishing guiding in Alberta is not totally true. If anyone is guiding (launching a boat with a client) OR teaching in a Provincial Park or Protected area the below criteria apply. Directly cut out of the provinces website

APPLICATION FOR
GUIDING OR INSTRUCTING AN OUTDOOR ACTIVITY PERMIT

Definition: Anyone who guides or instructs persons on recreational trips in Provincial Parks and Recreation Areas for a fee paid by client(s) is considered a commercial guide or instructor and must obtain a Guiding or Instructing an Outdoor Activity Permit.

PERMIT APPLICATIONS WITH ATTACHMENTS (FEES, INSURANCE, BUSINESS LICENCE, POST- SEASON REPORT, etc.)

This may come as a surprise to many, especially guides, that this rule has been in place for many years. It has barely been enforced, especially in Fish Creek Park, but look to that to change. The AOGAA has adopted the provinces "requirements" to streamline with them. There are members currently working on a public website or Facebook page for the AOGAA to inform people what the group has been up to. There are a lot of things happening in fisheries, access, regulations, etc areas at the moment that directly affect the guiding industry which is the whole reason the group exists. Joining the group doesn't give anyone any more credibility but does add their voice to a strong group that has gained some substantial credibility when it comes to specific issues.

If anyone has any questions regarding the AOGAA they can contact Nancy (president) at Fish Tales or Josh (vice president) at OutFly or several others who are actively involved. This started and still is primarily a Bow River Watershed organization but does have members from across southern Alberta. There is NO "in club" or "clique" that's high school BS stuff. The ability to have input on serious issues (stream temperature, whirling disease, access, habitat degradation, and many more) that directly affect the fishery and therefore the guiding industry is critical.

I hope this clears up some of the mis information out there and look for a pubic website AND/OR Facebook page regarding the AOGAA in the near future.

Sincerely,

David Blair
Fish Tales Fly Shop
Calgary, AB
Old 04-01-2017, 04:43 PM

Thanks Dave!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWB View Post
To all who have been discussing this. I don't get very much time to post or even read some of these forums but this was brought to my attention due to the fact that our business and my wife is being mentioned a lot!! Nancy is away right now so could not respond. I want to make some things crystal clear.

Nancy is president, and has been for a number of years, of the AOGAA (Angling Outfitters and Guide Association of Alberta). Currently this is strictly a voluntary organization that has about 55 members and is growing constantly. The fact there are no "rules" in place for fishing guiding in Alberta is not totally true. If anyone is guiding (launching a boat with a client) OR teaching in a Provincial Park or Protected area the below criteria apply. Directly cut out of the provinces website

APPLICATION FOR
GUIDING OR INSTRUCTING AN OUTDOOR ACTIVITY PERMIT

Definition: Anyone who guides or instructs persons on recreational trips in Provincial Parks and Recreation Areas for a fee paid by client(s) is considered a commercial guide or instructor and must obtain a Guiding or Instructing an Outdoor Activity Permit.

PERMIT APPLICATIONS WITH ATTACHMENTS (FEES, INSURANCE, BUSINESS LICENCE, POST- SEASON REPORT, etc.)

This may come as a surprise to many, especially guides, that this rule has been in place for many years. It has barely been enforced, especially in Fish Creek Park, but look to that to change. The AOGAA has adopted the provinces "requirements" to streamline with them. There are members currently working on a public website or Facebook page for the AOGAA to inform people what the group has been up to. There are a lot of things happening in fisheries, access, regulations, etc areas at the moment that directly affect the guiding industry which is the whole reason the group exists. Joining the group doesn't give anyone any more credibility but does add their voice to a strong group that has gained some substantial credibility when it comes to specific issues.

If anyone has any questions regarding the AOGAA they can contact Nancy (president) at Fish Tales or Josh (vice president) at OutFly or several others who are actively involved. This started and still is primarily a Bow River Watershed organization but does have members from across southern Alberta. There is NO "in club" or "clique" that's high school BS stuff. The ability to have input on serious issues (stream temperature, whirling disease, access, habitat degradation, and many more) that directly affect the fishery and therefore the guiding industry is critical.

I hope this clears up some of the mis information out there and look for a pubic website AND/OR Facebook page regarding the AOGAA in the near future.

Sincerely,

David Blair
Fish Tales Fly Shop
Calgary, AB

-Confucius
Old 04-02-2017, 08:32 PM

God some of these responses are embarrassing.

Thankfully a professional chimed in.

Time for some self examination young fella.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooner View Post
God some of these responses are embarrassing.

Thankfully a professional chimed in.

Time for some self examination young fella.
Welcome to the forum.