Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-12-2017, 08:56 PM

Default Cheapo rifles (axis, american, 783, etc) stories

who has actually had these rifles break or fail on them? I've heard lots of horror stories about the package scopes, but not many about the actual rifle itself breaking or failing.

happen to anyone?

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 11-12-2017, 10:52 PM

Yup. Had to send a Savage back twise for the ejector spring. When I got it back the second time I gave it away.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:32 PM

I bought one, put it in a Boyd's stock, and it's now a super accurate dependable firearm.

My story isn't very exciting...
Old 11-13-2017, 06:07 AM

Had axis magazines break on me
Old 11-13-2017, 09:19 AM

My nephew (at my recommendation) bought a Savage Axis .223 years ago, to use on groundhogs mostly...but as a varmint gun overall. The gun definitely hasn't been babied, and plugs away getting great accuracy. The mag catch does look flimsy (it is plastic) but in spite of the criticisms of that design...hasn't failed, even in cold weather.

I don't have a big gun budget (and never have) but still...have no plans of adding a gun in this class to my own collection. However, no denying that the Axis in our family is a decent, utility gun capable of sub-MOA groups using factory Hornady 55gr.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:41 AM
Banned

Thousands of the Axis rifles being used, they are not perfect but they are an accurate, dependable rifle over all. I have had a .223 for a few years now, no problems.

I see there are still a few boneheads that feel they have to call the rifle ugly........even though they look like a dozen other synthetic stock rifles that 99% of gun owners could not tell apart.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:50 AM

I never got the scoped version but I have helped people try to sight in savage axis with the factory scope to find the scope totally f.u.b.a.r and useless. As for the actual guns themselves either than some with less than stellar accuracy I have yet to see one that would not kill a deer at regular hunting distances.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 11-13-2017, 09:56 AM

I bought myself an axis in 223 several years ago when wholesale sports had them on during they're boxing week sale (maybe 2010 or 2011?). Hundreds of rounds through it now, never been babied, and still shoots lights out. Sub MOA with factory hornady customs in 55 grain. I reinforced the forearm with some aluminum rod and a two part epoxy back sometime around 2012 to stiffen things up, and did the trigger spring mod (cringe) and otherwise it is as the day it left the box. Still wearing the factory bushnell 3-9, although I pulled all the mounts off, and locktite amd torqued them.

I don't know that I'd buy one now for what they sell for, but for the $250 that I paid for this was peanuts, and for that price I'd do it again in a second
Old 11-13-2017, 09:58 AM

Maybe the issue is some people buy budget rifles and treat them like budget rifles? Maybe if a person spent alot of money on say, a Cooper, it may not see the same abuses that an entry level Savage might?

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:01 AM

Bought one for my then 12 years old son from Wholesale.
There was some problem with a pin , it was going BANG when you close the bolt.
Had to send it to Savage to repair.
It took them around 3 month to send it back.

Then there was another thing, the trigger , that was around 8 pounds.
2 trips to the gunsmith and it was around 3.5 pounds.
Was not happy about that neither.
Had to use file and got it to around 1 1/2 pounds.
Have to say they have very simple , almost primitive trigger system similar to some military guns like Mosin Nagan and such.

Stock scope was total garbage and was replaced with Bushenel 3x9.

But after all this little gun shoots 0.6-.07 groups with Barnes 80 gr TTSX
and my kids like to shoot it .
Old 11-13-2017, 10:08 AM

Default Owned an Axis

I had an Axis 25/06 wast a bad gun. Had a horrible trigger. Pulled at what I thought was about 15 lbs (probably 5 to 7) I could never shoot it accurately. My father on the other hand loved it. He could get sub moa groups out of it fairly regularly. I sure couldnt.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter12 View Post
Bought one for my then 12 years old son from Wholesale.
There was some problem with a pin , it was going BANG when you close the bolt.
Had to send it to Savage to repair.
It took them around 3 month to send it back.

Then there was another thing, the trigger , that was around 8 pounds.
2 trips to the gunsmith and it was around 3.5 pounds.
Was not happy about that neither.
Had to use file and got it to around 1 1/2 pounds.
Have to say they have very simple , almost primitive trigger system similar to some military guns like Mosin Nagan and such.

Stock scope was total garbage and was replaced with Bushenel 3x9.

But after all this little gun shoots 0.6-.07 groups with Barnes 80 gr TTSX
and my kids like to shoot it .
All that time and effort to get a trigger down to 1.5 pounds for a 12-year old? You sure the gun was for him?

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiewolf View Post
All that time and effort to get a trigger down to 1.5 pounds for a 12-year old? You sure the gun was for him?
Well , I like to have all my guns with a light trigger .
So it was more about me then 12 years old , to spend so much time with a cheap rifle.
He is 16 right now anyways , and shooting 270 wsm Win mod 70.
My 12 years old daughter shooting this Axis right now.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:21 AM

I have 2 rem m710s in 3006, (dad and me) and 1 770 in 300WM. Never changed the scope all have Around 1000 through the barrel no issues on accuracy with the package scope. Never had an issue with the guns only the magazine spring sometimes sticks so it's hard to cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2017, 11:31 AM

Default I have lots of them.

I wish that they didn't come with a scope, and an accu trigger. All mine have new scopes and a basix trigger. I'm very happy with the results. I only shoot targets and varmints, however to-day WF took the 243 deer hunting.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:32 AM

I had an Axis in .223 for awhile, it shot really well but I eventually got rid of it just because it felt like a toy, and despite its accuracy I never learned to like it.

I've owned several Lee Enfields over the years, none of them were particularly accurate, but good enough for general hunting. They are rugged and well made and I liked every one I've shot. I'll take a .303 that will do 2.5" groups over a budget rifle that will do .5" groups any day.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:53 AM

It's all priorities. I could hunt with a budget rifle the rest of my life and never have a problem. Some people see rifles as just another tool and don't spend money on fancy stuff, nothing wrong with that. I spend money on fancier guns because that's my thing, they don't kill any better or shoot any better on average and are not without their own problems.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:07 PM

Default X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
It's all priorities. I could hunt with a budget rifle the rest of my life and never have a problem. Some people see rifles as just another tool and don't spend money on fancy stuff, nothing wrong with that. I spend money on fancier guns because that's my thing, they don't kill any better or shoot any better on average and are not without their own problems.
Very Good Point well made. You cant shoot something deader with a nicer rifle. Now if your going to spend alot of time shooting it because you enjoy shooting then get something that is comfortable and something you take pride in ownership. Tikka Sako Browning Weatherby or Cooper all come to mind.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
I wish that they didn't come with a scope, and an accu trigger. All mine have new scopes and a basix trigger. I'm very happy with the results. I only shoot targets and varmints, however to-day WF took the 243 deer hunting.
^great points, and I agree. I should have mentioned~there was no way I was taking a chance with a "package"..and basically gave my nephew a half-decent scope to get started with. I remember our first day at the range with it. He had that Axis with it's heavy trigger, my hand-me-down scope, a cheap Harris knock-off bipod and factory 55gr Hornady Varmint ammo, unmodified trigger.

I was at the bench beside him with my Savage 10 "Precision carbine" (rifle in my avatar pic), a Vortex Viper 4-16x scope, hand loads, heavy bags fore/aft and an accutrigger dialed-down to it's lightest.

All the extra time/money/effort wrapped up in my set-up meant tiny/cloverleaf groups @ 100 yards. His set-up with that dreadful trigger? All groups sub-MOA, including a few groups better than 1/2 MOA. Both guns equally capable of what they were purchased for...only @ drastically different cost!

I recently mounted a better scope on that rifle for him, and offered to zero it next time I hit the range. I did a little work to the trigger (for my sake, not his) but kept everything in the VERY safe zone weight-wise. I don't own a trigger-pull gauge, but it had to be in the 8lb range and I'd guess it's about 1/2 that now.

As for being ugly~I don't think they LOOK any uglier than most modern/econo bolt guns, but in terms of "feel"...? Pretty darn cheap. However, the gun gets in done, and I'd hazard a guess that most people who own them feel the same way.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:34 PM

There are a ton of Yutube videos out there on how to adjust or simply swap out an Axis trigger and a bunch on how to stiffen and bed the stocks .

I don't own an Sxis but I do own three Davage match rifles and all are extremely accurate .
Cat
Old 11-13-2017, 01:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Thousands of the Axis rifles being used, they are not perfect but they are an accurate, dependable rifle over all. I have had a .223 for a few years now, no problems.

I see there are still a few boneheads that feel they have to call the rifle ugly........even though they look like a dozen other synthetic stock rifles that 99% of gun owners could not tell apart.
I have found that the fellows that complain about them, are not the owners, rather the fellows with the coopers and the custom rifle owners that are unable to shoot as well the savage.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:00 PM

I just picked up an old Husqvarna rifle for $450, its got a few dings but its extremely well made and very accurate... A few years back I got a Mauser 96 sporter for $350 with a scope, well made and accurate as well. I cant understand why anyone would bother with the new breed of budget rifles when deals like this are quite common.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:17 PM

I bought one of those Vanguard 2 rifles with the ugly blaze camo, when WSS was blowing them out, for $399, and it was a decent rifle. The trigger was not all that bad, and the accuracy was good. I have not seen a better rifle for the price since.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:25 PM
Banned

I bought my son a savage axis for his first gun, it shot cheap factory ammo more accurately than both my Sako Finnlites. A good trigger and maybe a Bell and Carlson stock and it would be an excellent rifle. The only thing I don't like about them, something that can't be fixed, is the bolt, it's not really the smoothest bolt on the market.

Great value imo.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:31 PM

I traded a Leupold for a NIB Ruger American in 223 one time......sold it before firing a shot...that's my story.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rembo View Post
I traded a Leupold for a NIB Ruger American in 223 one time......sold it before firing a shot...that's my story.
haha I did the same thing with (I think it was reloading supplies?) for an american 22-250. Looked it over, worked the bolt a couple times, sold it without ever firing a shot

yeah they may be accurate, but accuracy isn't everything. A rocket on a toboggan may be fast, but I'd still rather drive benz

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 11-13-2017, 06:56 PM

After I got a savage LRPV (that particular type no longer in production), I did all sorts of things to it to get it shooting predictably. New precision barrel, new trigger, custom picatinny rail, new bolt shank, new PTG bolt head, precision PTG go/nogo guages, bolt wrench, barrel grip blocks, shaved the stock for a better grip.

It's pretty good now, but POI still occasionally lurches unexpectedly sideways a half inch or so at 300m. Wouldn't do it again, but back in the day I had to be real careful with the pennies and dimes. Can't be bothered to replace it, after all the trouble and effort which has gone into it.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I bought one of those Vanguard 2 rifles with the ugly blaze camo, when WSS was blowing them out, for $399, and it was a decent rifle. The trigger was not all that bad, and the accuracy was good. I have not seen a better rifle for the price since.
I concur.
I grabbed one up during the same sale. Sadly, I could not get one with the blaze camo stock. I use it strictly as a range gun to practise with from field positions. I was pleasantly surprised with its performance. It would make a great hunting rifle for someone looking for a budget rifle. The prices have increased but it's still a good deal.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
I concur.
I grabbed one up during the same sale. Sadly, I could not get one with the blaze camo stock. I use it strictly as a range gun to practise with from field positions. I was pleasantly surprised with its performance. It would make a great hunting rifle for someone looking for a budget rifle. The prices have increased but it's still a good deal.

Vanguards are not your typical "budget" rifle. They have a conventional all steel action and metal floorplate assembly unlike the others mentioned in this thread. A Howa/Vanguard is a better designed and machined action than a lot of others that are not considered 'budget" rifles.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:29 PM
Banned

My main rifle is nothing special just a plain jane weatherby vanguard but she shoots great not a 1/2 moa rifle but every animal I aim at bullet goes where I want it to every time. Only thing I'm going to do is swap out stocks when I can find an aftermarket