Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-01-2014, 11:47 AM

Default Remote Car starter install.

Does anyone know of a reputable place/guy to install my car starter in Spruce Grove area? I've called around to Visions, Certified, etc, and getting pricy quotes from $600 to $900+. It's a VW Passat 2000 manual trany, which they say is the reason why its so expensive. Also need to hide one of the keyfobs in the dash for some reason.
I have already bought a Cdn tire ProStart 2-way and just need to find someone to install it for me.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:34 PM

Daughter got hers done at Visions. I know it can be pricey depending on your vehicle type. Looked into it for my wife's Camry and it was going to be like $600. so I said forget it.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowleg View Post
Daughter got hers done at Visions. I know it can be pricey depending on your vehicle type. Looked into it for my wife's Camry and it was going to be like $600. so I said forget it.
Check future shop. They always have few on sale installed for 200 - 300.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo500 View Post
Does anyone know of a reputable place/guy to install my car starter in Spruce Grove area? I've called around to Visions, Certified, etc, and getting pricy quotes from $600 to $900+. It's a VW Passat 2000 manual trany, which they say is the reason why its so expensive. Also need to hide one of the keyfobs in the dash for some reason.
I have already bought a Cdn tire ProStart 2-way and just need to find someone to install it for me.
Yes...It is very pricey...Soon as I read Manual transmission

Expect at least 600 bucks
Old 03-01-2014, 07:37 PM

My Fathernlaw is a retired Mechanic of 40 years now and he has installed a couple of my starters (Automatic) and is a Crappy job...hence, he will not even do it for me any more (even though retired)...LOL

I will not even dare to ask him now and forever...LOL
Old 03-01-2014, 08:24 PM

Transmission type does not effect the price.The outrageous price you were quoted is because it is a VW.Make absolute sure that whoever installs it is competent in VW installs.As a tech I personally would never install one in a VW.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:57 PM

FX audio in spruce grove.
Right by the Wendy's.
My BFF owns it.
Omg, I said BFF!

Top notch guys.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo500 View Post
Sounds about right. Most command starts require by-passes depending on options the car has which make it expensive for a install..
Old 03-01-2014, 09:01 PM

A lot of places will tell you its more expensive for a manual. That's a joke. Some places will tell you its more expensive for a diesel as well because of programming it for a delayed start for glow plugs, that is also a joke. I found an honest shop in the Calgary area and he charged me a flat rate for my diesel as well as my manual car. He said theres about a 5 minute difference in install time if its a manual or diesel. For a manual, all they have to do is program it for a manual. Remote starters are are manual transmission ready. I paid $575 tax included for each vehicle and that's with 2 way remotes and they are starter/alarm combos. Shop around. Ive got them done at visions before but Ive found way better service and probably a better install at smaller, independent businesses rather than the big box store.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiph0id View Post
FX audio in spruce grove.
Right by the Wendy's.
My BFF owns it.
Omg, I said BFF!

Top notch guys.
Just had my NEW 2014 F350 CCSB Diesel done there and was happy. Best deal I could find.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:57 AM

Thanks for your replies. I called FX in spruce, and they charge around $600 also. So i did some research and found a place in south edmonton who will do it for about $400. Sounded pretty knowledgeable too. Going in tomorrow to have it installed. (funny cause It's so cold today my car wont start...ironic. lol) This remote starter i bought has a scheduled cold weather mode that can start the car at regular intervals.