Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-28-2014, 10:28 PM
Banned

Do I shake my head or hang it in shame? Are you people seriously looking for a source of blame to point a finger at? Are you serious?

Look in the mirror, there lay the blame - and it lay with all Canadians.

No idea that they have rights in the first place, too GD lazy to get educated on them, heaven forbid they get off facebook and research the charter of rights and freedoms or the criminal code.

Do you realize why the RCMP and other police forces get away with what they do? Every flipping time you submit to anything the police push you on, you give them power - give them an inch, they take a foot. Here you go, swallow the pill, it's a bitter one... They are allowed to lie to you - and they do. They get away with it cause you don't know the difference - the more they get away with, the more they go for!!

Hence the reason they can do whatever the hell they want to these days. Hell, we have people on this forum that near break their arms trying the pat the cops on the back for anything and everything - they shoot to kill? Perp must have deserved it, poor cop was facing a perp with a hammer.

Enjoy the decline... Guns? They are a privelege, not a right.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:48 PM

I am amused by the posters who refuse to hold individual members accountable for the actions of their peers.

If my co-workers were committing unethical or illegal acts - I would be kicking up a fuss pretty quick, or finding a new place to work.

I hold each and every RCMP officer accountable for the actions of their peers.

Thugs with badges.

Fire them all.

I will not forget the human rights abuse they committed in High River.

My door will never open willingly to a man or woman in the RCMP uniform.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:53 PM
Banned

The truth, but until they are burned they do not understand.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
I am amused by the posters who refuse to hold individual members accountable for the actions of their peers.

If my co-workers were committing unethical or illegal acts - I would be kicking up a fuss pretty quick, or finding a new place to work.

Thugs with badges.

Fire them all.

Well I am sure given your high moral standard you will never have to worry about the police showing up at your door.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:01 PM

Painting all RCMP with the same brush because of the actions of some of them sort of seems like the anti gun lobby treating all gun owners as criminals due the actions of a few. I thought most of us didn't like that.

As far as getting our own police force....the RCMP is a federal police force, and while they may be not contracted for municipal policing everywhere, they still are and always will be responsible for federal policing. They will always enforce the federal firearms act.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreya3212 View Post
Painting all RCMP with the same brush because of the actions of some of them sort of seems like the anti gun lobby treating all gun owners as criminals due the actions of a few. I thought most of us didn't like that.

As far as getting our own police force....the RCMP is a federal police force, and while they may be not contracted for municipal policing everywhere, they still are and always will be responsible for federal policing. They will always enforce the federal firearms act.
Have you been living in a cave for the past decade? Actions of a few???
Old 02-28-2014, 11:16 PM

I guess so. Mods please change my name to cave man. I find all these RCMP threads the same. This one starts as a list of scandals involving RCMP members over the years, some despicable things for certain. And here we have most of the comments in this thread regarding the RCMP taking our guns. We will bash them at any opening we can and make it about gun seizures. It's tiring and I usually don't get involved in these threads and yet here I am. Oh well.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
I guess so. Mods please change my name to cave man. I find all these RCMP threads the same. This one starts as a list of scandals involving RCMP members over the years, some despicable things for certain. And here we have most of the comments in this thread regarding the RCMP taking our guns. We will bash them at any opening we can and make it about gun seizures. It's tiring and I usually don't get involved in these threads and yet here I am. Oh well.
Cave Man would work, you can change your name yourself, you don't need a Mod to do it.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:31 PM

One thing I see is a lot of people who think Alberta would be better off with a Provincial Police force. There are some things to consider:
  • The RCMP is currently paid less than most major police forces in Canada, especially compared to municipal forces.
  • The RCMP is not unionized as is the case of provincial forces like OPP or municipal forces like EPS.
  • Typically RCMP provincial contract policing in the provinces is understaffed.
Are Albertans ready to pay as much per capita in taxes as Ontarians for a unionized provincial police force that is properly equipped and staffed?

The OPP got a big fat raise in spite of the poor Ontario economy.

I like paying lower taxes and most mounties I've dealt with were polite and professional. We don't need six figured salary cops on the prairies or worse, high taxes. I'll stick with the Mounties.

My two cents worth.

Dan
Old 03-01-2014, 02:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the Saskbertan View Post
One thing I see is a lot of people who think Alberta would be better off with a Provincial Police force. There are some things to consider:
  • The RCMP is currently paid less than most major police forces in Canada, especially compared to municipal forces.
  • The RCMP is not unionized as is the case of provincial forces like OPP or municipal forces like EPS.
  • Typically RCMP provincial contract policing in the provinces is understaffed.
Are Albertans ready to pay as much per capita in taxes as Ontarians for a unionized provincial police force that is properly equipped and staffed?

The OPP got a big fat raise in spite of the poor Ontario economy.

I like paying lower taxes and most mounties I've dealt with were polite and professional. We don't need six figured salary cops on the prairies or worse, high taxes. I'll stick with the Mounties.

My two cents worth.

Dan
After 3 years in the RCMP, salary is $82K, OPP is 90K, EPS is $75K...?

The big blue line is big enough, do we really want the RCMP unionized?
Old 03-01-2014, 02:09 AM
Banned

Quote:

It is fair to paint the RCMP with the same brush. When an officer screws up, the damn big blue line comes out - they are all going to hide behind it and be treated above the law.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post

The RCMP is not unionized nor will it ever likley be which was my point. They're cheaper in the long run and part of a longstanding tradition on the prairies. Not sure about the "big blue line" you speak of.

I have friends that dislike one police force or another for various reasons but it usually means having been previously turned down for employment in the past.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the Saskbertan View Post
The RCMP is not unionized nor will it ever likley be which was my point. They're cheaper in the long run and part of a longstanding tradition on the prairies. Not sure about the "big blue line" you speak of.

I have friends that dislike one police force or another for various reasons but it usually means having been previously turned down for employment in the past.
No doubt they have been on the prairies since the beginning and did great work - that tradition you speak of is only a memory now, very sad.

They have to clean up the corruption and abuse of power that has infested the force, from the top down, they could start with a proper investigation of the High River fiasco but I think we all know where that's headed.

The only way to deal with these guys now is with voice recorder on and the lawyer on speed dial, again very sad.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:53 AM

http://www.bcpolicecomplaints.org/rcmp_john_graham.html

worth the read.

How things get left out of the story as there was a fence between Mr. Reid and the officer. No way of Mr. Reid charging officer with axe. Yet fence was broken down before ambulance arrived to provide access. Now this is from close family accounts. Cover up they got him out of town soon after.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post

Yes but I know the contracts are base on the number of "Police Units", here in SP we pay for X amount of units

RCMP unit = 1 car, 1.4 person (approx.) vacation and sick leave factored in.
EPS unit= 1 car, 2.25 persons (approx.) vacation and sick leave factored in.

Reason:

EPS has 2 man units in certain areas and on all evening and night shifts where RC's is always a 1 man unit.

Now do the Math.

Every year EPS puts in offers to our SP council and all other Edmonton surrounding RC's areas (Leduc, St. Albert etc), and every year they are rejected. The RC's contracts are for 10 years but there is a clause which allows our council to opt out of the contract every year. I wonder why we don't. Is it just the money? Are people happy?

Regardless of who replaces the RC's they will be unionized. So what do you see as the differences between a unionized RC's as opposed to a unionized EPS or Calgary?

And don't forget the initial start up cost; recruiting, equipment, cars, uniforms, etc... Where do we train all these provincial police officers, sure lots will jump ship and come over but where do you train the new recruits. Easier said than done to replace the mounties and if you ask most people they are more nervous of an encounter with the Sheriffs or EPS than dealing with a Mountie, so now how do you make the masses happy?
Old 03-01-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
It is fair to paint the RCMP with the same brush. When an officer screws up, the damn big blue line comes out - they are all going to hide behind it and be treated above the law.
When you protect the guilty, you become the guilty!
Old 03-01-2014, 08:31 AM
Banned

Quote:

I agree. Not all RCMP are bad. But the bad ones sure make it hard for the good ones.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Yes but I know the contracts are base on the number of "Police Units", here in SP we pay for X amount of units

Reason:

EPS has 2 man units in certain areas and on all evening and night shifts where RC's is always a 1 man unit.

Now do the Math.

Every year EPS puts in offers to our SP council and all other Edmonton surrounding RC's areas (Leduc, St. Albert etc), and every year they are rejected. The RC's contracts are for 10 years but there is a clause which allows our council to opt out of the contract every year. I wonder why we don't. Is it just the money? Are people happy?

Regardless of who replaces the RC's they will be unionized. So what do you see as the differences between a unionized RC's as opposed to a unionized EPS or Calgary?

And don't forget the initial start up cost; recruiting, equipment, cars, uniforms, etc... Where do we train all these provincial police officers, sure lots will jump ship and come over but where do you train the new recruits. Easier said than done to replace the mounties and if you ask most people they are more nervous of an encounter with the Sheriffs or EPS than dealing with a Mountie, so now how do you make the masses happy?
Pretty straight forward answer, and makes sense to me.

That last little part of your post is also easy to fix. Hold those who screw up accountable for their actions. And this has to start at the top.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:

Reason:

Now do the Math.

So your argument in favor of keeping the RCMP is that it is too expensive to not taser Polish Immigrants, murder aboriginals, shoot prisoners in the head while in custody, lie in court, violate human rights, steal property, (and the list goes on).

An easterner trying to tell Alberta we have to put up with RCMP garbage because if not we will have big unions asking for more money. - Creative, but backwards.

Pretty sure a solution can be found to the RCMP problem that involves effective use of taxpayer dollars.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:53 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
I know my RCMP very well.

2 of them are neighbours.

Both are stand-up guys, outdoorsmen and hunters.
Yes we should not paint the entire force with the same brush. I said this before and will say it again if you want to make a difference than join up and start the process. Every company has bad apples, don't always make the right decisions but for the most part are not too bad after all.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-01-2014, 08:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
So your argument in favor of keeping the RCMP is that it is too expensive to not taser Polish Immigrants, murder aboriginals, shoot prisoners in the head while in custody, lie in court, violate human rights, steal property, (and the list goes on).

An easterner trying to tell Alberta we have to put up with RCMP garbage because if not we will have big unions asking for more money. - Creative, but backwards.

Pretty sure a solution can be found to the RCMP problem that involves effective use of taxpayer dollars.
Same things happen regardless of the police uniform. Just look at the US, or even any other police service in Canada for that matter. Lots of recent problems with the exact same issues with the Toronto Police.

Regardless of the police service, if the senior management don't control their members, then they all get a bad reputation.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recce43 View Post
working for a evil boss
Recce42 did you get your peepee slapped recently by the RC's and now are upset? You like myself and many others on this site served and I know first hand that our regiments were not full of angels and do gooders but for the most part we soldiered on...left the moaning and groaning to the sick,lame and lazy, followed orders and made a difference!

Old 03-01-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:

Thugs with badges.

Fire them all.

No I am in favor of positive change but you stated "Fire them all." So what is your plan to replace them or should we go without police and everyone fend for themselves.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:09 AM

I don't think a provincial police force is the answer. As coreya pointed out, the RCMP will still be around. This is more about the need for accountability within the RCMP. Officers do these things, because they can; and because, in most cases, their actions will be supported or condoned by their superiors. The problem is that the force, as a whole, is corrupt. Yes, there are plenty of stand-up officers in the RCMP; but there are also a large number who will do as they please; and the top brass will always excuse/encourage them.
Replacing the RCMP with a provincial force will only lead to the same problems at the provincial level, especially with the current government. We need a federal government with the testicular fortitude to step up and say "enough is enough;" and to increase the level of accountability within the leadership structure. We need an RCMP Commissioner/Deputy Commissioners who will separate the wheat from the chaff; and will turf out those who, as officers, defy the law themselves. Do I dare to think that those things are possible? Not in my lifetime. Is a provincial force the answer? Absolutely not.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 03-01-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
And how did that make you feel when the actions of a few tarnished all the good work that the Airborne had done over the years? And I believe our Military serves the interest of the Canadian public very well given the extreme circumstances they are sometimes placed in. They are the only Canadians that a lot of the undeveloped world will ever see or encounter. You bet they served and represent the Canadian public in all they do; maybe the just don't need to justify every decision they make because it is not portrayed negative or sensationalized in the media.
We'll said!

Old 03-01-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Recce42 did you get your peepee slapped recently by the RC's and now are upset? You like myself and many others on this site served and I know first hand that our regiments were not full of angels and do gooders but for the most part we soldiered on...left the moaning and groaning to the sick,lame and lazy, followed orders and made a difference!
no I did not get my peepeee slapped only my wife does that Iam tired of the rcmp thinking that they run this country , its time somebody took control of them.

If a police force can make its own laws ..Does that make us a police state?

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 03-01-2014, 10:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
I don't think it's just the RCMP. My opinion of the EPS is much lower, after the experiences of a family member with them.
Police forces in this country are full of people who are there because they are insecure and want to feel big. The organizations that they are a part of, help to promote this behaviour.
Gotta agree. Changing forces won't change much. Being a member of the RCMP used to be a well respected position. It was a profession. The people employed there were professionals and conducted themselves as such. Now...

The powers of the police need to be severely curtailed. They are no longer capable of utilizing these powers in a responsible manner and they have shown time and time again that they are unwilling to "self-police" themselves OR subject their members to any sort of disciplinary actions warranted by their abuses of power.

Not only do there need to be cuts to their levels of power, but there needs to be CIVILIAN oversight committees of some type. NOT the internal nudge and a wink and a "don't do that again" investigations that we have become used to.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Absolutely. A police force is paid to enforce the laws as written, not to bypass our governments, and make their own laws.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recce43 View Post
no I did not get my peepeee slapped only my wife does that Iam tired of the rcmp thinking that they run this country , its time somebody took control of them.

Could look at it from that perspective to a certain degree but at the end we are way better off than no to little police at all like some countries. I am sure you have seen things like I had if the police where overthrown or non existent. Rape, murder,theft, drugs etc would be run by certain organizations within our country and then you would see hard ships. Sometimes we need to step back and see the big picture from a world wide perspective, we are not too bad off!

Old 03-01-2014, 11:03 AM

no we don not need to step back the rcmp are hired by joe Canada tax payer they serve us we do not serve the rcmp.. Our government makes the law and the the rcmp enforce them. but now rcmp are making the laws.

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”