Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-28-2014, 07:15 PM

It is not really the RCMP that is the problem at all.

It is our politicians and government.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:15 PM

Smile

The only one I knew personally lived next door for a few years. He was a great Guy just trying to raise his family.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:16 PM

If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 02-28-2014, 07:27 PM

Default Just Wondering

Recce,

If someone started a thread titled "How well do you know your Military and Veterans?" would you find that offensive and disrespectful for the sake of the wonderful people you served with? Let's not kid ourselves, the Canadian Military's list of transgression is as long or longer than the RCMP one you posted. A person may want to ensure their own household is in order before slinging mud at another's!
Old 02-28-2014, 07:29 PM

true the military has its issues to but the military is not taking my guns away from me the rcmp are making there own laws up as they seam fit. and I have no issue of putting military members in jail for wrong doing

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 02-28-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Recce,

If someone started a thread titled "How well do you know your Military and Veterans?" would you find that offensive and disrespectful for the sake of the wonderful people you served with? Let's not kid ourselves, the Canadian Military's list of transgression is as long or longer than the RCMP one you posted. A person may want to ensure their own household is in order before slinging mud at another's!
the Canadian military is trying to clean up its backyard the rcmp are not

Old 02-28-2014, 07:39 PM

I don't think it's just the RCMP. My opinion of the EPS is much lower, after the experiences of a family member with them.
Police forces in this country are full of people who are there because they are insecure and want to feel big. The organizations that they are a part of, help to promote this behaviour.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 02-28-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm1273 View Post
Unfortunately not all of them are like your neighbors.
My uncle was RCMP for almost 20 years. His son tried the force but missed his family too much and felt he wasn't ready. Kid I grew up with had similar issues but found a home in the infantry after a few years of growth later.

I work with a fair bit of them on a volunteer basis, most right out of depot up here with some experience thrown in for good measure.

Like every other organization, some really sound guys, some okay, and in this case, some that you wonder why they aren't in a truck outside of a gate somewhere as a guard.

Take the good, work with what you have, and correct what you can find out wrong.

My problem is, who is doing the correcting and how it's being done.

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanik View Post
My uncle was RCMP for almost 20 years. His son tried the force but missed his family too much and felt he wasn't ready. Kid I grew up with had similar issues but found a home in the infantry after a few years of growth later.

I work with a fair bit of them on a volunteer basis, most right out of depot up here with some experience thrown in for good measure.

Like every other organization, some really sound guys, some okay, and in this case, some that you wonder why they aren't in a truck outside of a gate somewhere as a guard.

Take the good, work with what you have, and correct what you can find out wrong.

its not
Attached Images
File Type: jpg commie.jpg (36.1 KB, 61 views)

Old 02-28-2014, 07:47 PM

Default Recce

Far enough, so why paint them all with the same brush? Would you want someone associating your comrades with the criminals? You are suggesting that we should be suspicious of all RCMP for the fact that the wear the uniform. I still respect the Canadian Military as a whole even though some of their individual Members have done criminal acts. My experience with the Members of the CF's has always been good other than 1 rough night at Richard's Pub. I can not imagine that social media alone created your distain for the RCMP. What was your personal encounter with the Mountie's that created your turmoil? Should it be on your list?
Old 02-28-2014, 07:49 PM

they did paint us with same brush the airborne regiment was disbanded. the military does not serve the public . the rcmp serve the public and should answer to the public

Old 02-28-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post

Incorrect in a way, my friend.

How firearms are classified in this country make little to no sense. Our politicians are supposed to be the legislative arm and the RCMP the enforcement of that legislation.

Somewhere along the line, the enforcement began making policy. The issue with this is, they are accountable only to themselves while the legislative arm is accountable to tax payers and voters. We choose, as a nation, who we want setting policy for us yet we end up with the RCMP saying what is and what is not legal.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:52 PM

but if you want the military police in charge . instead of the rcmp

Old 02-28-2014, 07:53 PM
Banned

Quote:

I don't agree that the blame lies with our government and politicians. I would say it lies with the senior management of the police themselves for not dealing with issues in a timely and efficient manner.

Our government is not trained to be police, so they rely upon the police to be professional and do a proper job of policing.

Perhaps there is a need for a better system of watchdog to watch over the police, and then all other groups who are self administered like the law society, and doctors, as these groups also seem to be self serving.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
I don't think it's just the RCMP. My opinion of the EPS is much lower, after the experiences of a family member with them.
Police forces in this country are full of people who are there because they are insecure and want to feel big. The organizations that they are a part of, help to promote this behaviour.
I will go as far as saying as a lot of bullies from the school yard make it into the ranks of the police.

AL: Bullies turning to a police career would be an excellent study for an up and coming doctoral level student in criminology.

Thanks Al.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:

How firearms are classified in this country make little to no sense. Our politicians are supposed to be the legislative arm and the RCMP the enforcement of that legislation.

Somewhere along the line, the enforcement began making policy. The issue with this is, they are accountable only to themselves while the legislative arm is accountable to tax payers and voters. We choose, as a nation, who we want setting policy for us yet we end up with the RCMP saying what is and what is not legal.
This.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:59 PM
Banned

Quote:

This last bit is exactly where I see the problem as well.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recce43 View Post
its not
You are correct:they are not being corrected in an appropriate manner. That's why I have a problem with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm1273 View Post
This last bit is exactly where I see the problem as well.
Do we have a legislative arm that is realizing that their jobs are in jeopardy and are interested in changing the Bureaucracy to show that they're doing something? Elections coming up, look busy the bosses are a watching!

IIRC one of the issues the CPC was claiming they would change is the entitled bureaucracy that seems to believe that they run Canada. What happened? Who gelded them while we weren't watching?

Old 02-28-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
they did paint us with same brush the airborne regiment was disbanded. the military does not serve the public . the rcmp serve the public and should answer to the public
And how did that make you feel when the actions of a few tarnished all the good work that the Airborne had done over the years? And I believe our Military serves the interest of the Canadian public very well given the extreme circumstances they are sometimes placed in. They are the only Canadians that a lot of the undeveloped world will ever see or encounter. You bet they served and represent the Canadian public in all they do; maybe the just don't need to justify every decision they make because it is not portrayed negative or sensationalized in the media.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:

Yes, that is what I am refering to.

Our legislators have allowed the RCMP too much control.

And we the voters need to start holding our legislators responsible for that.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
And how did that make you feel when the actions of a few tarnished all the good work that the Airborne had done over the years? And I believe our Military serves the interest of the Canadian public very well given the extreme circumstances they are sometimes placed in. They are the only Canadians that a lot of the undeveloped world will ever see or encounter. You bet they served and represent the Canadian public in all they do; maybe the just don't need to justify every decision they make because it is not portrayed negative or sensationalized in the media.
My great uncle served in the military in Italy then as a rcmp for 35 yrs I think he wood be embarrassed of what the rcmp have become if he was still alive

Old 02-28-2014, 08:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
You are off topic:

We are talking about the Massive intrusive powers the RCMP possess using the LIBERAL Bill C68 under the Harper government.

Harper is using the Liberal laws of Bill C68 for gun confiscation. It is simple as that. Who are going to vote for nest election? The RCMP? They are not a political party ......Yet.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:25 PM

the rcmp should not be allowed to make up its own laws and force them on Canadians

Old 02-28-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
My great uncle served in the military in Italy then as a rcmp for 35 yrs I think he wood be embarrassed of what the rcmp have become if he was still alive
Not sure how old your great uncle is but your list of RCMP transgressions date back to the turn of the century (actually 2 turns ago), so maybe it hasn't changed that much. Even the old timer cop's you talk to today rant about how policing use to be before the Charter of Rights and what they use to get away with. I just think that in today's age we are made aware of everything because of the constant media coverage as opposed to during the time of your great uncle.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:00 PM

Let say you think you are right and I think iam right and you are not going to change my mind .Say high to the rcmp when they come for your guns .. cause they are not getting any of mine

Last edited by recce43; 02-28-2014 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:10 PM

Default OK

OK Recce, that sounds fair. And by the way, Thank-You for your service in the Canadian Forces.

Cheers.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Seems like a PERFECT time for a non-renewal of the ALBERTA WIDE RCMP contract and build our own Alberta Provincial Police Force.
Stelmach signed a 20-year contract with the RCMP; we're stuck with it.

Quote:
my limited interactions with RCMP officers have ranged from neutral to positive.
My brother was a Crown Prosecutor, now in private practise in the US. My take on what he said about his interactions ranged from neutral to negative to pathetic. He far preferred working with Port Moody (#1), New Westminster (#2) and VPD (#3). Horsemen were a distant fourth.

Quote:
the Canadian Military's list of transgression is as long or longer than the RCMP one you posted.
We aren't tasked with upholding the Criminal Code of Canada, nor are we allowed to carry firearms in support of. Our job is to go and kill people, kinda different from police.

Quote:
Far enough, so why paint them all with the same brush?
Fair cop, one bad apple and all that. It's usually only the bad examples that we see; an open mind is a wonderful thing.

My ex-Father-in-Law, WO George D Hawkes, finished out his RCMP career (post RAF & London Metro Police) as deputy commander SIU Ottawa. His criticism of the weakening of the RCMP standard would make you weep.

My recent closest personal experience was during the 2010 Olympics. Lots of cops, lots of gross stupidity. The 19-year RCMP veteran who got busted for theft over $5000 for stealing jewelry; the three RCMP riders we barred from our helos since they kept showing up drunk, and stayed in hotels on full per-diem since it would apparently cost more to fly them home; the two drunken cops who were punched out on the cruise ship accommodation facility by a SF trooper (he was sent home, the drunken cops stayed, wtf?).

In the latter part of our Bosnian experience, we had a lot of police helping out since by 2003-4 (my last 2 of 4 tours there) it was a civil crime issue, not so much a military one. I had the privilege of working with Scotland Yard Chief Inspector Simon Grantham, a man whom I would follow into hell. He hated the RCMP's he had to work with, mainly because usually the worst got sent; maybe not the worst but the most useless. Since I controlled the rotary assets in our AO we had lots of good talks, and the consensus was that of all the EU and other police forces, RCMP were the least effective.

Shot, over.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:50 PM
Banned

Quote:

If you question your employer you will be censored.
It will limit your time.
They are in a no win situation.
Its not pretty we all want the reward.

Burn.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Gill View Post
Stelmach signed a 20-year contract with the RCMP; we're stuck with it.

My brother was a Crown Prosecutor, now in private practise in the US. My take on what he said about his interactions ranged from neutral to negative to pathetic. He far preferred working with Port Moody (#1), New Westminster (#2) and VPD (#3). Horsemen were a distant fourth.

We aren't tasked with upholding the Criminal Code of Canada, nor are we allowed to carry firearms in support of. Our job is to go and kill people, kinda different from police.

Fair cop, one bad apple and all that. It's usually only the bad examples that we see; an open mind is a wonderful thing.

My ex-Father-in-Law, WO George D Hawkes, finished out his RCMP career (post RAF & London Metro Police) as deputy commander SIU Ottawa. His criticism of the weakening of the RCMP standard would make you weep.

My recent closest personal experience was during the 2010 Olympics. Lots of cops, lots of gross stupidity. The 19-year RCMP veteran who got busted for theft over $5000 for stealing jewelry; the three RCMP riders we barred from our helos since they kept showing up drunk, and stayed in hotels on full per-diem since it would apparently cost more to fly them home; the two drunken cops who were punched out on the cruise ship accommodation facility by a SF trooper (he was sent home, the drunken cops stayed, wtf?).

In the latter part of our Bosnian experience, we had a lot of police helping out since by 2003-4 (my last 2 of 4 tours there) it was a civil crime issue, not so much a military one. I had the privilege of working with Scotland Yard Chief Inspector Simon Grantham, a man whom I would follow into hell. He hated the RCMP's he had to work with, mainly because usually the worst got sent; maybe not the worst but the most useless. Since I controlled the rotary assets in our AO we had lots of good talks, and the consensus was that of all the EU and other police forces, RCMP were the least effective.

Shot, over.
Great post, thanks for sharing some of your experience's from the inside
Old 02-28-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
You are off topic:

We are talking about the Massive intrusive powers the RCMP possess using the LIBERAL Bill C68 under the Harper government.

Harper is using the Liberal laws of Bill C68 for gun confiscation. It is simple as that. Who are going to vote for nest election? The RCMP? They are not a political party ......Yet.
What? Read the op's original post. It was in relation to all misdeeds of the RCMP, not just firearms. I think you got your threads mixed up, lots of them going on right now in relation to what you thinks this one is about.