Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-02-2014, 10:23 AM

Default Political views

This country is going to hell real fast and it is ticking me off. You look at what we have voted in and see what they are doing and it is frustrating. Then you look at what else we could vote for and any other party is just as bad or worse. No wonder people don't vote. I wouldn't right now if I had the chance. Why would I vote when they are all scum and will screw this province and country up
Old 03-02-2014, 10:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
This country is going to hell real fast and it is ticking me off. You look at what we have voted in and see what they are doing and it is frustrating. Then you look at what else we could vote for and any other party is just as bad or worse. No wonder people don't vote. I wouldn't right now if I had the chance. Why would I vote when they are all scum and will screw this province and country up
There should be another option on the ballots. "NONE OF THE ABOVE".
Old 03-02-2014, 10:25 AM

I feel your pain.
Perhaps it's time for all us malcontents to join riding associations, or put our own hats in the ring, that way we have some control over who's name goes on the ballot?

There are no absolutes
Old 03-02-2014, 10:32 AM

Please expand on your rant - what is Harper doing that raises your ire?

Personally I think he's doing a great job - there maybe some things I don't agree with but you can't please everyone. The other political parties would put this country in the tank as soon as they get into power! That trudeau is laughable at best and out of touch with reality; mulclair has his head up his arse!
Old 03-02-2014, 10:38 AM

Default What exactly do you want?

Easy to just say 'wrong!'.

What exactly do you want? What do you seriously want out of a politician?

Can't please everyone.

My view is that our society is too damn complex and fast changing for a person or a small group of people to 'get it right' most of the time.

We all need to 'democracy' more... Get involved. It's not a sideshow.

Democracies are like teeth... Constant effort and care.... If you attend to it when there's a problem you feel... Well by then it's probably a pretty big problem.

See the chipped tooth thread.

How many of us regularly brush our teeth?
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 03-02-2014, 10:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
I feel your pain.
Perhaps it's time for all us malcontents to join riding associations, or put our own hats in the ring, that way we have some control over who's name goes on the ballot?
Dick284 is right.

You don't even have to be in a large group to start making your views known.

You also get to meet people who share the same views as you, and you start supporting them and they start supporting you.

You also get to meet some very smart ladies who think like you. Those girls know where there is politics the money is not far behind.

Get some friends together and join.

Its fun.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Vote independant then or... express your democratic rights publically by carrying a sign that demands accountability and change. Or join a party and try to force change from within.
For that matter... you can do all of those things.

Not voting at all is worse than regretting a vote cast because it is surrenders one of the few opportuinties to express your self that you have.

People do not vote for dictatorships but people who do not vote live in one.

We have more choice than the Consrevitards, the Libtards and the Dippers.

We can have the government we want... all it takes is for all Canadians to put aside their political differences to focus upon our common problems.

Lack of accountability
Partisanship
Abuse of authority
Disregard for individual rights and law.

Seems to me that it all boils down to government that spends far more time looking for ways to stay in power, increase their own wealth and control voters than it does looking for ways to do their job better or maintain the confidence of people by displaying an interest in protecting fundimental rights that we all have.

Government is supposed to run the country and its infrastucturre and act on behalf of its people not try to find ways to run people and wiggle out from under the rules established to make sure that it is done honestly.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:06 AM
Gone Hunting

heck out how many people are eligible to vote in your riding. Then check out how many voted. Then check out how many votes it took the MP to get elected.

You may be surprised at how few people are actually steering the country.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-02-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
Vote independant then or... express your democratic rights publically by carrying a sign that demands accountability and change. Or join a party and try to force change from within.
For that matter... you can do all of those things.

Not voting at all is worse than regretting a vote cast because it is surrenders one of the few opportuinties to express your self that you have.

People do not vote for dictatorships but people who do not vote live in one.

We have more choice than the Consrevitards, the Libtards and the Dippers.

We can have the government we want... all it takes is for all Canadians to put aside their political differences to focus upon our common problems.

Lack of accountability
Partisanship
Abuse of authority

Seems to me that it all boils down to government that spends far more time looking for ways to stay in power, increase their own wealth and control voters than it does looking for ways to do their job better or maintain the confidence of people by displaying an interest in protecting fundimental rights that we all have.

Government is supposed to run the country and its infrastucturre and act on behalf of its people not try to find ways to run people and wiggle out from under the rules established to make sure that it is done honestly.
Good Thoughts Badger.

Trapper 92 it seems you have had your eyes closed lately. You said int he other thread you didn't know they were messing with your pension. How could you not know that? Di you know they are adding years of extra work to your plate for for the same pension you would receive with the current plan? Have you not been reading the paper on all the waste of tax dollars and scandals? Did you know it costs $45K to fly to a funeral in Africa? lol Read the paper it is a daily thing with all the BS our Gov't is doing. Badger said it right in his thoughts
Lack of accountability
Partisanship
Abuse of authority
Old 03-02-2014, 11:18 AM

What I question is how much of your ire is really towards politicians? In a lot of cases they assign a budget to the department and it is bureaucrats that come up with policy. Sure a ruling party can lay ground work or lean a certain direction but when a bureaucrat has the power to do what he wants until it is exposed an the minister steps in things can go south pretty quick.

Cases in point:

RCMP reclassification of Swiss Arms

New Veterans Charter (convinced the minister of two parties its what the army wanted partially because the army wanted to stop the old system abuses)

F35 was airforce driven prior to the party getting involved

I'm sure there are examples from all departments where the motive can be anything from trying to work within the budget, personal opinions, power tripping and in some cases perhaps even to screw over the ruling party that they didn't vote for.

In the end the party doesn't matter until after the damage is done and they step in to fix or realign the policy.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hat in the Cat View Post
What I question is how much of your ire is really towards politicians? In a lot of cases they assign a budget to the department and it is bureaucrats that come up with policy. Sure a ruling party can lay ground work or lean a certain direction but when a bureaucrat has the power to do what he wants until it is exposed an the minister steps in things can go south pretty quick.

Cases in point:

RCMP reclassification of Swiss Arms

New Veterans Charter (convinced the minister of two parties its what the army wanted partially because the army wanted to stop the old system abuses)

F35 was airforce driven prior to the party getting involved

I'm sure there are examples from all departments where the motive can be anything from trying to work within the budget, personal opinions, power tripping and in some cases perhaps even to screw over the ruling party that they didn't vote for.

In the end the party doesn't matter until after the damage is done and they step in to fix or realign the policy.
Good points but for my part I see little difference between the parties at the end of the day.
They are all motivated by the same things and they all do what they can to help themselves at our expense.
One party raises taxes...another cuts services...is the end result really any different?

I do strongly disagree on one point though.

Regardless of the BS that a previous government may legislate the next one seldom does anything at all to repair the damage.

The Firearms Act and GST are both examples of that.

Sure... some of it has been repealed or modified but very little and..at what cost?

In the end as much as a party might oppose something while waiting for their turn at bat... they suddenly lose their resolve when in power and enjoying the
benefit themselves.
When changes are made... they tend to be superficial and largely worthless or worse still..accompanied by something equally disagreeable.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
heck out how many people are eligible to vote in your riding. Then check out how many voted. Then check out how many votes it took the MP to get elected.

That is an excellent point Redfrog. Those northern lights out at Bodo are refreshing those cognitive thoughts of yours hourly.

or: have you been drinking? Just kidding.

Your post is so true.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:44 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
That is an excellent point Redfrog. Those northern lights out at Bodo are refreshing those cognitive thoughts of yours hourly.

or: have you been drinking? Just kidding.

Your post is so true.
Please don't kid about my drinking. It's getting very serious.

I have to drink more, spring has to get here or I have to step away from this computer. It isn't good for my BP.

I'd tell you why but then someone else would be making the decision that I not post anymore.

Hat in the Cat, you make some very good points. I don't think about how much power bureaucrats have in the day to day running of the country, and there may be others equally ignorant.

If we can say all RCMP are not duds, then I guess we need to say all politicians are not the same or not incompetent.

I can't believe I said that out loud.

It is impossible to please everyone and politicians make pretty easy targets when we get our ire up.
It is revealing that there are a lot of us unhappy about the system, or the politicians in it and so many just on this board alone have all the answers, but no one has the stones to run for office to change things.

The mice sit around cutting the cheese and saying that 'belling' the cat is a wonderful idea, but until some one steps up to do it, it is just hot air.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-02-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post

Yup very true and furthermore it's so easy to have a voice and many just don't want to bother