Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-26-2014, 09:19 AM
Banned

Default Atvs

Lets start a loud demand here to allow atvs on secondary gravel roads , Govt officials , ARE YOU LISTNING.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post
Lets start a loud demand here to allow atvs on secondary gravel roads , Govt officials , ARE YOU LISTNING.
It all depends on where you live, the County of Parklands, OK, the County of Sturgen,Ok. No ATV/UTV..... in the County of Strathcona. It seens that the Counties have the final say, so why blame the Alberta Gov officials.

Bruce.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:52 AM
Banned

Yup, it's a county thing. The counties in this area are atv friendly and it's legal to drive the gravel roads.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Yup, it's a county thing. The counties in this area are atv friendly and it's legal to drive the gravel roads.
Same in B.C. as long as you are registered you can drive on secondary roads.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:11 PM

Secondary (3 digit) highways fall under the designation and authority of the Prov. govt. for maintenance and control and even if a County or MD has an ATV bylaw - it can not cover these roads(gravel or paved). Many counties have these bylaws that allow ATV usage on it`s own roadways or ditches but they do not cover Secondary highways.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:45 PM

ATVs on a travelled road ? Sounds about as bright as wearing headphones and texting, while crossing the C train track.

Grizz
Old 02-26-2014, 06:48 PM

Default Idaho side by sides

Had a visit there this summer in Bonners Ferry our good friends from Creston took us down there , really beautiful country neat people , it was sweet , checked out a Mennonite store just over the border and a women parked her horse out side in back of the store she come out of the hills and strolled in packing a 9 mm on her hip, wife beater , jeans, beat up cowboy hat and a looker about 45 nobody batted an eye except me , went to WallMart got in line with shopping carts full of beer cheap , hardware stores with tons of rifles and side arms and for you side by side guys ATV's driving down main street and not just one we saw about 30 , it would be nice if we could do the same in the smaller bush towns .
,Talk about hog heaven .. Talked to a few people, you best be on your good behavior and polite you check your gun not your hat at the bar, low crime rate, jee i wonder why. The wife and i thought this would be a cool place to live
Old 02-27-2014, 11:28 PM
Banned

Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
ATVs on a travelled road ? Sounds about as bright as wearing headphones and texting, while crossing the C train track.

Grizz

OK, please expain ,l dont see the conection you mention at all .
Old 02-28-2014, 09:24 AM
Banned

Heck ya,..let's have donuts 100' apart in the all gravel roads.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:37 AM
Banned

Default atv

Quote:
Originally Posted by bison View Post
Heck ya,..let's have donuts 100' apart in the all gravel roads.

You sound like one of the goofs who would do that , l,m talking about driving on the side of the road the same as bicycles ,and that would be the first law put in place ,NO DONUTS ,if caught 3,000 fine.
Theres idiots out there for sure but, their everywhere ,not just on a road , so do we all bow down to their level and regulate our lives because ,of them.
All im asking for is the right to use the back roads in a safe and proper manner,no worse then driveing a street legal motorcycle .
Old 03-01-2014, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
We're a "city" of 20 000 and we are legal on all of our roads except the downtown core and the adjacent streets. So other than the 7 blocks of downtown......we're good with to go with atv's and even snowmobiles as long as you're licenced and insured
Old 03-01-2014, 08:35 AM

Default Tsa

I am on my phone and am not technologically advanced enough to post the legislation. Sorry.

Google alberta Traffic Safety Act.

Read definition of "highway" in section 1.

Read part 6 or section 117 on.

Then Google " Alberta Off Highway Vehicle Regulation"
Read that.

Check with your municipality to see if the have created a bylaw allowing the use of OHV's on highways under their control.

If they have, find out from the municipality what conditions must be met while you are riding on their highways. Speed/lights/exhaust/helmets/hours of the day direction of travel/#of passengers etc.

If they have not created a bylaw the TSA and the regulation apply.

Pm me with questions if you wish.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:10 AM

In Norway you see quads driving on roads and highways and even in the middle of the larger cities. It's legal there, which is kind of odd seeing that they are anal about everything else.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
You sound like one of the goofs who would do that , l,m talking about driving on the side of the road the same as bicycles ,and that would be the first law put in place ,NO DONUTS ,if caught 3,000 fine.
Theres idiots out there for sure but, their everywhere ,not just on a road , so do we all bow down to their level and regulate our lives because ,of them.
All im asking for is the right to use the back roads in a safe and proper manner,no worse then driveing a street legal motorcycle .
I hate these donuts with a passion, that's why i posted it.

And who is gonna enforce that??? Cops don't travel country gravel in my neck off the woods unless there's been an accident.( God forbid they get a stone chip in their bat mobile ).I have not seen a patrol car or a fish cop prowling around on our back roads for 20 odd years

4 people do and the next one spins ruts.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bison View Post
I hate these donuts with a passion, that's why i posted it.

And who is gonna enforce that??? Cops don't travel country gravel in my neck off the woods unless there's been an accident.( God forbid they get a stone chip in their bat mobile ).I have not seen a patrol car or a fish cop prowling around on our back roads for 20 odd years

4 people do and the next one spins ruts.

Well l understand your concern , but l dont see a massive donut epidemic , there may be the odd one we have them now , but with strict rules put in place and hefty fines , dont see a problem ,l know alot of farmers/ranchers
are useing them on roads now visiting neighbours etc,lets try it for a year and see how it goes .
Old 03-01-2014, 10:18 AM

Default Have you even looked at the County you live in?

Sturgeon County

Protective Services > Off-Highway Vehicles

Off-Highway Vehicles

Out of respect for your neighbours, all off-highway vehicle operators must obtain permission from the property owner before traveling on private property.Traveling on private property without the owner's consent could result in damage to their property.
For your safety, off-highway vehicle operation is restricted to 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 midnight, with a maximum speed limit of 30 km per hour. When operating an off-highway vehicle, please keep in mind that our county enforces the following:
Effective December 14, 2004, the operation of off highway vehicles are banned from the Sandy Lake Wilderness area, Cardiff Park and Sturgeon Valley area (extending from Highway 2 east to Highway 28 and Highway 37 south to the city limits).
Operators must:

• wear a safety helmet (and passenger).
  • hold a valid operators license.
  • travel only on the extreme right hand portion of the road, in single file;
  • not travel on roads where signs prohibit travel.
Off-Highway vehicles must have:

• proper registration and insurance according to the Off Highway Vehicle Act.
  • one working headlight and taillight.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:18 AM

I support this. In Montana you can ride ATVs on the city streets. I believe there are some requirements such as signal lights. I noted that the ones I saw on the streets also had a turf type tire for a smoother ride.

I think the way to approach this is to argue what makes an ATV adapted with signal lights any different from a dual purpose dirt/street bike? Go from that angle.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:37 AM

Default No.. You don't understand..

Quote:
Well l understand your concern , but l dont see a massive donut epidemic , there may be the odd one we have them now , but with strict rules put in place and hefty fines , dont see a problem ,l know alot of farmers/ranchers
are useing them on roads now visiting neighbours etc,lets try it for a year and see how it goes .
You don't see an epidemic because you don't want to.

ATVs have established a culture of abusive free riding. The TV commercials even advocate it!

Ruts on the road are the least of the problems. Last summer I posted 7-10 pics of various trails that are flat out trashed!
Bridges are ignored. Campsites are trashed.

Ever wonder how the lost creek fire was started?

Current regulations are impotent due to lacking enforcement.
We passed a bylaw a few years ago forbidding driving quads in town. That hasent stopped anybody.

The culture of use however is already established.

What's your worry? Drive on good man!

Yup I'm ranty... Shack nasties ... Stuck inside... Not gettin any... Can't fish too cold!

Sorry

Ps.

I kinda hate quads
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 03-01-2014, 07:05 PM
Banned

Default now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
Sturgeon County

Protective Services > Off-Highway Vehicles

Off-Highway Vehicles

Out of respect for your neighbours, all off-highway vehicle operators must obtain permission from the property owner before traveling on private property.Traveling on private property without the owner's consent could result in damage to their property.
For your safety, off-highway vehicle operation is restricted to 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 midnight, with a maximum speed limit of 30 km per hour. When operating an off-highway vehicle, please keep in mind that our county enforces the following:
Effective December 14, 2004, the operation of off highway vehicles are banned from the Sandy Lake Wilderness area, Cardiff Park and Sturgeon Valley area (extending from Highway 2 east to Highway 28 and Highway 37 south to the city limits).
Operators must:

• wear a safety helmet (and passenger).
  • hold a valid operators license.
  • travel only on the extreme right hand portion of the road, in single file;
  • not travel on roads where signs prohibit travel.
Off-Highway vehicles must have:

• proper registration and insurance according to the Off Highway Vehicle Act.
  • one working headlight and taillight.
YES,and all of that criteria most of us have , its just the right to ride them on back roads is what needs to change
Old 03-01-2014, 07:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post

ATVs have established a culture of abusive free riding. The TV commercials even advocate it!

Ruts on the road are the least of the problems. Last summer I posted 7-10 pics of various trails that are flat out trashed!

We passed a bylaw a few years ago forbidding driving quads in town. That hasent stopped anybody.

Yup I'm ranty... Shack nasties ... Stuck inside... Not gettin any... Can't fish too cold!

Sorry

Ps.

I kinda hate quads

I CAN SEE THAT,l,m an old man with old legs and would just like to go for a nice putt putt on the back rds , its not the quad thats the villan , its the kids that ridum , maybe we need to up the age limit untill these goons grow up.

Theres alot of money invested in these machines and it also heps the economy and creates jobs , any yet we are forced to ride in only 2 major areas ,mclean creek or wairperous , 2 places that l would never go because of all the goofs that go ther because there is no place else.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:

Sorry

Ps.

I kinda hate quads
You should look at the bigger picture, it isn't the quad it's the idiots on it. Take the quads away they will find something else. It's rather naive to think that banning quads will fix the problem. I can do more damage with a lifted 3/4 ton diesel and when we take the quads away that is what we will see doing the damage
Old 03-02-2014, 10:50 AM
Banned

Default atvs

Thats right , when quads first came out they were intended to be used for pulling game out of the bush which was great , also surveying companys bought them up and they were allowed to use them anywhere , then the atv builders came out with a sports racer model , people bought them for their kids , and boom the goofs were in the bush tearing up the world.
Whats the answer , ban them , could do or give them an atv park which they already have and they should be not allowed any place else.
My request is this , there are many classes of atvs , the racers , the ones with roofs a few others and last the plain ol,e quad ,only the reg quads would be allowed to drive on the side of a road , no race/sport models ,speed limit 30 , no one under 18 ,must have rear view mirrors ,lights f&r ,signals and insur plus lic, OR maybe a special permit with a fee for us seniors to just go for a ride and pick up cans.
So why not ride in the bush you ask , we,re only allowed 2 areas full of goons , l want to ride the prarie trails or the open back gravel rds , no desire to run into a bear either , and prefer flat level ground.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Thats right , when quads first came out they were intended to be used for pulling game out of the bush which was great , also surveying companys bought them up and they were allowed to use them anywhere , then the atv builders came out with a sports racer model , people bought them for their kids , and boom the goofs were in the bush tearing up the world.
Whats the answer , ban them , could do or give them an atv park which they already have and they should be not allowed any place else.
My request is this , there are many classes of atvs , the racers , the ones with roofs a few others and last the plain ol,e quad ,only the reg quads would be allowed to drive on the side of a road , no race/sport models ,speed limit 30 , no one under 18 ,must have rear view mirrors ,lights f&r ,signals and insur plus lic, OR maybe a special permit with a fee for us seniors to just go for a ride and pick up cans.
So why not ride in the bush you ask , we,re only allowed 2 areas full of goons , l want to ride the prarie trails or the open back gravel rds , no desire to run into a bear either , and prefer flat level ground.
What makes you think you are any more deserving of being out there than I am with my ATV? If we ban them then its only fair to ban all activity as our very presence has a negative effect. Typical attitude around here.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:43 AM

Default Just a rant

Quote:

I think
I'm on record here saying people over 50 should be allowed.
I got no problem with elder folk who can't get around using quads.

People need to not express their manhood through their machines.

Honestly, I think u stand very little chance of getting in trouble with the law if u do what u want with quads.
The enforcement is nonexistent.

Well see what comes out if the land use plans.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
The enforcement is nonexistant.
That is one of the reasons why there is so much damage. The other is ignorance, there are far to many the don't realize what kind of damage they are doing. Don't be an idiot and call to ban all ATV's, instead lets educate,enforce and then deal with the repeat offenders with an iron fist.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:31 PM

Hey! Careful sparky.

Easy.. I'm sensitive.... I've got the shack nasties real bad.
Of course banning is unrealistic. I'm just poking you guys.

Regulating not gonna happen either.

I just take my family deeper into the bush and realize that population expansion is inevitable.

Sad really.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:

Easy.. I'm sensitive.... I've got the shack nasties real bad.
That makes two of us, lol.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:20 PM

Bad apples always make it for the worse. This is how they pass the laws. We all suffer.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com