Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-18-2018, 10:03 PM

Default First time buying high-end rifle-Any room to negotiate?

I'm interested in a Blaser R8 Long Range Professional success in .338 Lapua, along with a Semi-weight fluted 6.5 Creedmoor barrel, bolt and a QD scope mount.

All in all it comes to about $8500.
I'm just wondering if negotiating is a thing in gun sales, or if that'd be a big faux-pas?

How have y'all done it in the past?
Old 07-19-2018, 06:27 AM

that will be quite a light package for 338 Lapua.... good luck to you
Old 07-19-2018, 08:17 AM

Default R8 Options

Not sure where you are shopping it from.
You might want to consider the gun consignment section of Prophet River.
Seen a few R8 models there recently. A consignment deal is much more likely to have room to negotiate than a retailer. As long as you get the gun package, with the Blasers you can always buy the barrel you want as an add on.
I am a huge Blaser fan. I started with the basic rifle, found another few barrels at "last years price', and later on a demo stock at a smoking good deal and finally, aw heck, just buy another bolt and now I have two of them!
They are not cheap, but IMO you definitely get what you pay for! I can honestly say that I could get rid of every other rifle I own and just have it covered with these. A great piece of German technology.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
Not sure where you are shopping it from.
You might want to consider the gun consignment section of Prophet River.
Seen a few R8 models there recently. A consignment deal is much more likely to have room to negotiate than a retailer. As long as you get the gun package, with the Blasers you can always buy the barrel you want as an add on.
I am a huge Blaser fan. I started with the basic rifle, found another few barrels at "last years price', and later on a demo stock at a smoking good deal and finally, aw heck, just buy another bolt and now I have two of them!
They are not cheap, but IMO you definitely get what you pay for! I can honestly say that I could get rid of every other rifle I own and just have it covered with these. A great piece of German technology.
Thanks for the reply, and the tip on Prophet River consignment. I've looked at their Used section before, but somehow missed that part.
I didn't really think there's much room for negotiating on a retail sale, but wasn't sure if it was anything like buying a car.
Edit: Was looking at the rifle at Sylvestres in Bonnyville.

While I do plan on getting set-up with a progressive reloader with dedicated die plates for each calibre, I don't think I'd shoot much when I'm throwing $10 bills at the target with a .338, so I'd like to get something smaller right away.

I saw the trailer for the R8 a few months ago and its been stuck in my mind since. Then I handled one at Calgary Shooting Centre... without sounding too douchey, it really is a work of art. There's no fiddling or wiggling the trigger assembly to get it out of the rifle. You depress the two catches and it actually jumps out of the rifle 1/4".
Its just a super neat rifle.
Plus once you have it, for $1500 you can have a super rifle in just about any calibre you want!
Old 07-19-2018, 10:24 AM

Default price haggling - maybe

For a rifle priced at $8,500 - ulp - I sincerely doubt there's much chance of haggling price.

However, you might have a much better chance of getting them to throw in things like a box of ammo, or a reloading die set, or boxes of reloading parts such as fresh brass or high-performance bullets. Or all of same.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:35 PM

I think it's a fair question no matter what you're buying, but like everything...I'd have fairly low expectations just in case. Granted, the most I've ever spent on a rifle was about 1/4 that much. lol

Retailers always have margins of course, and usually have a little room. Rather than under-pricing and expensive gun itself (as mentioned) dealers may be more inclined to give you better deals on related gear for it. I wouldn't be surprised if the manufacturer dictates how low retailers can/can't go..as they sometimes don't want to see their premium brand at "discounted" prices. Admittedly, I have more experience with this sort of thing in other interests/hobbies. Specialized for what they are, not gear in that price range mind you.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:17 PM

Sylvester’s will deal a little bit, father in law picked up Christensen a few months ago and he cut him a deal. All you got to do is ask.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:24 PM

Recently had a conversation with an owner of a local gun shop. I was told they get asked often the buyers are looking for a better price than posted retail price.
Margins on new rifles are not that great and overhead is expensive.
A suggestion, not asking for a reduced price on the rifle alone but come up with a package ie: Rifle, Scope, Mounting, Ammo or even loading equipment.

Cut the retailers some slack and I’d bet they would be more inclined to cut the buyer a bit of slack.

Just remember, if the retailers aren’t able to make a profit then they won’t see the worth to exist. Then there will be many consumers complaining that there are no decent retailers.

Profit isn’t a bad word. It’s what makes our world turn like it or not!!
Old 07-19-2018, 06:11 PM

I think the prices on those they have in stock are pretty good actually.

Remember that it costs to stock inventory, and more the higher the value of each item.Without stock in the country, which is getting more and more common unfortunately, items have to be imported or brokered, meaning less availability.
Also, once you get into higher-end rifles ( like other stuff), (and this isn't really high end of course), dealers tend to get shy when you want to chince away about a couple hundred bucks, as that tends to indicate a tire-kicker who can't afford the item anyway.....which turns out to be a waste of their time.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:15 PM

I agree, the prices at Sylvestres seem pretty good, so no problem with that.

I just wasn't sure if it was similar to car sales, and prices are purposely inflated because they know you'll dicker down by X%.

Thanks for the replies and help everyone!