Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-30-2021, 11:25 AM

Default Phillipe's lake alberta?

Hi, i would like to know what fish species are available to catch at Philipps lake Alberta. I live in Crowsnest pass. So far i have found that you can catch Kokanee, rainbow trout, and lake trout but i would like to know for sure.
Old 11-30-2021, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler31 View Post
Hi, i would like to know what fish species are available to catch at Philipps lake Alberta. I live in Crowsnest pass. So far i have found that you can catch Kokanee, rainbow trout, and lake trout but i would like to know for sure.
Cutthroat only and it is a very small shallow stocked pond.
Old 11-30-2021, 11:39 AM

To my knowledge, as in many high mountain lakes, there were no natural fish in Phillips Lake. I do know from stocking reports that cutties were stocked in years past. You can confirm this by researching yourself. There has not been any restocking for many years. I fished this lake last winter, drilled around 50 holes in the ice and came up with nothing. I used a flasher and saw no evidence of fish. Access to the lake is from the BC side and in the winter a sled would be required to get yourself and all your gear to the lake. Alternatively , you could carry minimal equipment and snow shoe in. Don’t try this by yourself 😳

I suspect that this lake is highly susceptible to winter kill as there is no aeration, no moving water, ices up early and stays iced into June.

Last edited by CNP; 11-30-2021 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-30-2021, 12:22 PM

Last time I was up there it was just a windy puddle. Verrrry low.
Old 11-30-2021, 03:24 PM

Default ok thanks

I was a little confused about this lake because when I looked this up this is what I found.Phillipps Lake has previously been stocked with rainbow trout, kokanee (O. nerka) and, inadvertently, lake trout (Clements 1972, Fitch 1980a). Sport fish populations in the lake were previously assessed in 1972 and most recently in 1980.
Also i have a snowmobile to get up there so no prob.