Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-14-2021, 06:05 PM

Default Offered half cow

Hey all,

I haven't purchased a butchered cow for many years and wondering what to be aware of these days. It is a half cow and hanging weight is about 600LBS.

What is the going rate for all in ( cut/wrap) and what to expect the cuts to be including the amount of ground beef? I have no choice in the cuts this time and I am not sure what to expect. I am still getting more information, but I thought I would see what you guys think.

Cheers,
Old 11-14-2021, 06:11 PM

So, you have a hanging weight of about 300#? Expect around 45% to be burger. You'll loose weight from boning out.
Old 11-14-2021, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
So, you have a hanging weight of about 300#? Expect around 45% to be burger. You'll loose weight from boning out.
Hanging weight is about 600lbs.

What would you guys pay for cost including cut/wrap?
Old 11-14-2021, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post

That’s a big half of beef. Was it a steer or a cow? Price for cut and wrap few years ago used to be able to find it for $0.75/lb some butchers now are charging $1.10/lb. Last one I got a little over a year ago was $1.00/lb.

Last edited by Greatwest; 11-14-2021 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-14-2021, 06:28 PM

When I do this, it's always a year and a half old we get it butchered and my rancher buddy finds out the hanging weight price that day, I think the last one was 2.62 a pound then I pay the butcher seperate, a half usually ends up costing 1000-1200 all in

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2021, 06:37 PM

Cut, wrapped and ground about $3.40 lb. The cutting is 60 cents.

Bigger ones usually have more fat. Taste great but your lose more to fat.
Old 11-14-2021, 06:42 PM

We were selling sides of 14month old finished steers for $5.50/lb cut and wrapped. Steers dressed 800-844 lbs.
Old 11-14-2021, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavilion View Post
When I do this, it's always a year and a half old we get it butchered and my rancher buddy finds out the hanging weight price that day, I think the last one was 2.62 a pound then I pay the butcher seperate, a half usually ends up costing 1000-1200 all in

May I ask what you paid for cut/wrap on top of the $2.62/LB?
Old 11-14-2021, 06:48 PM

Quote:
May I ask what you paid for cut/wrap on top of the $2.62/LB?
Around a dollar, 90 cents is what I have off the top of my head, by the time they trim everything and debone I figure it costs me around 5 bucks a pound for straight meat maybe a hair more, which is around regular price for ground beef in the store but that is what you pay for everything and in my case the quality is way higher, very much worth it in my opinion

Old 11-14-2021, 07:04 PM

Quote:

So, you're half is 600 lbs?? So, the live animal was 1800+ pounds. You sure you didn't get a bull? If it's a 4-5 year old steer, the taste will be really good. Older animals tend to have better taste to a point.

When you said cow, many cows come in at the 650-700 pound rail weight for the whole.

Unless you're using 'cow' generically.

I'm charging $2.65/# fresh on the rail for organic grass fed beef.
Old 11-14-2021, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Around a dollar, 90 cents is what I have off the top of my head, by the time they trim everything and debone I figure it costs me around 5 bucks a pound for straight meat maybe a hair more, which is around regular price for ground beef in the store but that is what you pay for everything and in my case the quality is way higher, very much worth it in my opinion

Yup. Kinda nice eating a t bone knowing it only cost a fin. Same as grocery store burger….
Old 11-14-2021, 08:04 PM

1$ Per lbs to cut and wrap

You’ll loose 25% to cutting, about 35-40% if u get all your cuts deboned

Last edited by 204ruger; 11-14-2021 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-14-2021, 09:15 PM

Please ask the guy more questions. If it is actually a mature cow, she's probably burger only. Clarify if the 600 lbs is half or the whole carcass. It's very, very rare to create a 1200 lb carcass.

She been grain fed or off grass ?

So much goes into the beef quality.

A few pertinent questions on your part save some hard feelings mebbe?

Good luck!
Old 11-14-2021, 10:14 PM

Yup agree roper. Before you fill your freezer with a thousand bucks worth of meat, better make sure it meets your standards. Farm raised isn't always the same as that white fat, nicely marbled Safeway select....thats a big half for sure. is it a grain finished steer out of a feedlot or a dry cow or what? Very important to know and I'm sure you do but I've bought a couple animals that were way too fat and a waste of money and a couple hogs that stunk the house up so bad the old lady made me throw it out. Cutting and wrapping about 110 in my parts.
Old 11-15-2021, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Yup agree roper. Before you fill your freezer with a thousand bucks worth of meat, better make sure
it meets your standards. Farm raised isn't always the same as that white fat, nicely marbled Safeway select....
that's a big half for sure. is it a grain finished steer out of a feedlot or a dry cow or what? Very important
to know and I'm sure you do but I've bought a couple animals that were way too fat and a waste of money
and a couple hogs that stunk the house up so bad the old lady made me throw it out. Cutting and wrapping
about 110 in my parts.
Big thumbs up for what roper1 & pikeman06 say. Just had a local cow roast on Saturday that was given
by a neighbour, was truly awful & the taste, did not like it. Much different than store bought, was extremely
fatty throughout..gave up trying to cut the small good parts off it & the dog had some good eating. Had same
exp with another locally butchered cow (ground beef) last year, cooked it, ate it, not even 20mins later,
ran outside puking up. Back to Sobey's/etc with no regrets in the least.
Old 11-15-2021, 09:45 AM

Quote:

^^^^^
This. Beef is a commodity and the price can change daily.

https://abpdaily.com/cattle-report/

The daily cattle report
Old 11-15-2021, 09:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Please ask the guy more questions. If it is actually a mature cow, she's probably burger only. Clarify if the 600 lbs is half or the whole carcass. It's very, very rare to create a 1200 lb carcass.

She been grain fed or off grass ?

So much goes into the beef quality.

A few pertinent questions on your part save some hard feelings mebbe?

Good luck!
Very good advice roper1,

I bought a cow once, from a family member so I didn't ask any questions. Big Mistake!!!

It was like eating a shoe, surprised I didn't get Mad Cow disease eating that beast that was most likely born when the Pharos ruled Egypt.
Old 11-15-2021, 11:18 AM

We sell steers for $4.50/b hanging weight - that is kill, cut, wrap and disposal fees. Can't see anyone selling it for much less.
Old 11-15-2021, 11:48 AM

I admit that I don’t know much about how to choose the proper beef. About 20 years ago I bought a half for my family, filled the freezer with different cuts. We were able to eat only tenderloins and ground meat, the rest was too chewy…. Never bought half again since.
This time around we are looking to get just ground beef since we don’t eat much of the beef anymore. We occasionally bbq steaks and my family prefers tenderloins or New York strips. We just go to Costco for steaks.
Found a farmer not too far from Edmonton who is offering ground beef, extra lean for $6/lb . Going to get some today…
Old 11-15-2021, 01:08 PM

This sounds like a great recipe for a big misunderstanding. Good on you for asking questions. You better be very specific. I had a good friend, who is also a forum member, get screwed over royally on a pig over a cut and wrap deal. He would have been a helluva lot better off going to Costco. Get it on paper before hand.
Old 11-15-2021, 02:39 PM

Buying a half, of full beef is great, but it’s not for everyone.

You get cheap steaks, and expensive burger. And you only get so many choice steaks out of an animal. The wife and I cut and wrapped 2 steers last weekend, I think I got 12 - 14 rib, and strip loin steaks per side. If you like to eat steak, or want a prime rib, strip loin roast, half a beef doesn’t go far in that department.

I never ate beef short ribs until I started doing my own beef. Lucky I like them, cause I’m swimming in them! But typically when you take your beef to a butcher your short ribs come back cut into 4” pieces. Not boned, stripped of fat and tissue like Costco. I use them in stew, soup, curries so I think having the bone and everything else is a benefit. Some might not.

This year I cut the legs for shanks, sub par roasts and steaks for stew, lots of burger, choice steaks, short ribs, lots of sirloin roast and steak.

Buying a beef makes you eat a lot of cuts you may not normally eat.

And buying an animal is different than buying a carcass. Carcass are graded, and you can see everything. You can buy a steer that looks great, and have tough meat for a variety of reasons.

But I’d never go back to eating from the store.
Old 11-15-2021, 04:31 PM

I split a half with my parents once a year. The animal is from my brother in law. He tells us when it’s ready and we talk to the butcher about cuts, thicknesses and package amounts we want. Works pretty good for us. Cheap steaks and expensive hamburger is about the gist of it haha! I can’t remember the price off the top of my head. We’ve been very happy with the meat and butcher.
Old 11-15-2021, 04:38 PM

I think buying a half is the best way to buy beef if you have the freezer space. Like others pointed out though, make sure you’re not buying half of someone’s old cull cow. I’ve seen people butcher stuff that I would use for coyote bait instead.
Old 11-15-2021, 05:40 PM

We will butcher a steer or heifer for ourselves. Cows and bulls go to auction. Every time someone says they are buying half a cow I shudder.
Old 11-15-2021, 08:31 PM

[QUOTE=amosfella;4439499]So, you're half is 600 lbs?? So, the live animal was 1800+ pounds. You sure you didn't get a bull? If it's a 4-5 year old steer, the taste will be really good. Older animals tend to have better taste to a point.

When you said cow, many cows come in at the 650-700 pound rail weight for the whole.

Unless you're using 'cow' generically.

I'm charging $2.65/# fresh on the rail for organic grass fed.

Open for business? If so please pm me contact.
Thank you.
Old 11-15-2021, 10:03 PM

Question: does anybody sell the real veal? By real I mean that the calf haven’t had a grass yet. I remember eating it when I was a kid back in old country and the meat was delicious! Also just had it when I was visiting Georgia in September. Yummy!!!
Old 11-29-2021, 08:22 PM

Definitely ask questions! How do they feed? What do they feed? How old are they when they butcher? No animal should dress out at 600lbs for half an animal! That's the size of a whole animal. If a half is 600 lbs it's either an old cow, bull or way overfat animal.

Our animals only dress out around 600lbs. We don't push the grain so ours are leaner animals. That's how we like our meat. When we fry our ground beef, there is no fat left in the pan by the time it's fully cooked. Never get that from store bought ground beef. With store bought you're always soaking up/ draining fat. Now I know some people like a little more fat in their meat but we don't. Haven't had any complaints from our buyers yet. I'd ask to buy a sample pack to try first if at all concerned.
Old 11-29-2021, 08:44 PM

To answer your question though, off 300lbs hanging weight you should take home roughly 180 lbs of meat in your freezer. For example, rough estimate:
-100lb ground beef
-8 to 10 steaks of each cut- sirloin,striploin,round,rib or rib eye
-about 2 roasts of each - sirloin tip,cross rib, round, chuck
- 1 tenderloin
- short ribs if desired

Now you can alter this by cutting more steaks from roasts or more roasts and less steaks. Combine your striploin and tenderloin into t bone steaks. Grind more roasts into ground beef. Make some minute steaks from the rounds if you like minute steaks.

Also price point all in can range from $4 to $5 per lb hanging dressed weight. This equates to $9 to $10/ lb beef in your freezer.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:26 PM

Well....Kevinhits, whats the verdict? With the price of finished retail beef and the lack of forage I'm sure there are all kinds of deals being struck. There's some nice calves and theres some pretty sketchy stuff on the market. Don't be shy, as I said I've learnt from my own experience and now is when people really need to know the true bottom line. Nothing worse than thinking you are saving a buck and supporting the locals at the same time and end up with something the coyotes won't touch.
Old 11-30-2021, 07:35 AM

just ordered 1/2 beef 4.55lb cut and wrap around 375 pounds of meat