Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-17-2021, 08:56 PM

Default The others….

Just curious, anyone else not right in the head, like I? Was a very avid trout guy, got bored with them, still like fishing for them, just felt I was missing out on other species, pretty much caught every gamefish in Alberta on flies aside from golden trout, burbs and sturgeon, but the walleye just intrigues the heck out of me, the samurai freshwater gamefish of Alberta, sharp inward pointing teeth, blades on its gill plates, and a row of spikes on its back, eyesight like no other, bin stuck on walleye for years now, just je ne sais quoi……….don’t get me wrong, I’m happy catching anything on a fly rod, just can’t seem to move on, trying to break 30” this year, then maybe focus my gaze elsewhere, perhaps burbs or sturge shall be my next challenge, anyone intentionally, successfully catch either before, fly rod of course, I’ll wait till I’m 90 to bait fish and huck lures, lol…….
Old 08-17-2021, 09:16 PM

Your point here on this stream of conscientious dump is obfuscating at best!
Old 08-18-2021, 12:21 PM

Quite a few of us have caught Burbs nymphing in the Bow River.
I know a guy who would target them with a small white streamer.

There is an experienced gentleman in Calgary who has caught a sturgeon on the fly
Old 08-19-2021, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
Quite a few of us have caught Burbs nymphing in the Bow River.
I know a guy who would target them with a small white streamer.

There is an experienced gentleman in Calgary who has caught a sturgeon on the fly
Thanks for the useful info, what time of year we’re they catching burbs on the fly?
Old 08-19-2021, 12:52 PM

Most of my walleye in open water are caught on a fly rod. 7 wt with a type VII full sink line. I have lots of streamers but anything flashy and especially chartreuse. I've caught them in lakes and rivers using the same setup. My biggest was just over 10lbs (guess) our of the RDR. Didn't get a length but a hog for sure. 30 inches will be tough to get but 28 - 30 is a close 2nd that is achievable

Most fight poorly. Walleye just dog it...nothing special. The big one from the RDR was an exceptional fight. I honestly thought I had hooked a large pike from the fight. Better fight in spring, like June, and size in say a lake like Calling lake. A good example of where you could catch a 28+
Old 08-19-2021, 07:51 PM

We have caught river Burbs in Jan-April. Not sure when others have lucked into this amazing native fish. Just a surprising by-catch while trout fishing.
The guy who streamer fished for them had knowledge of where they would congregate to spawn.... around February. Just have to wait for a chinook.
Old 08-19-2021, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Your point here on this stream of conscientious dump is obfuscating at best!
Thanks for that!