Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-26-2013, 12:29 PM
Suspended User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Without getting into grave details....was in the wrong place at the wrong time and did everything I could to avoid it....but was unable to.

I found the owners and after they said goodbye I took the dog (deceased) to my wife's place of work (she works at a vet office) to have it cremated for the owners....feel absolutely terrible even though I know it wasn't my fault and I did what I could to avoid it and it still happened.

I have 3 dogs of my own and am handling this the best way I know how but still feel horrible for the dog and the family....first time anything like this has happened to me.

Has this happened to you and what did you do?

LC
Hit one once. Thing suddenly ran out and I clipped its back end. Stopped and told me guy looking after the place. Tried to help him with the dog. Had over twenty holes in my hand and three in my face.
Now I don't do anything but try to avoid them. The owner is responsible for their dog. If they can't control it, then sucks to be them.
My dog got out and got hit on 2a. Too bad for her. Stupid enough to run and not stay in its territory ....
Old 03-26-2013, 12:48 PM

yes I have had the unfortunate experience....

On another note here is an ironic anecdote...

A friend of mine as he went to work every day, the neighbours dog who was a nuisance in every way would come out and bark and chase his vehicle. this was getting to be a huge nuisnace and then one day it come out a bit early and he decided to sterr for it... BAM.... $5000 damge to the front of his truck... he hit a deer!....

When he told me this story looking for sympathy...I told him it served him right!....

As hard as it is with a dog, I have seen so many close calls with kids that it scares the poop out of me. One in particular spooked me. i was having an ice cream in cochrane when a young lebanese couple's toddler laughed and decided to play "chase me" right out into street before just out of my reach. i saw a jacked up 4x4 coming down street, not speeding per se as he was under speed limit and, my wife tells me she never heard me yell out "STOP" so loud in her life. the 4x4 stppoed and the toddler tripped and fell down right infront of the front wheel and the front tire actually pinned the kids shirt to the pavement... he had to back up to let him up... the kid was unhurt...I picked him up and handed him to his Dad who were in that state whether to hug him or throttle him. The mother was a bag of blubbering... My boys all stood there with eyes like dinner plates... and I think i might have pooed a bit myself...

On another situation i was driving through an area where speed limit was 60 and I saw another young girl do the same thing from a churchyard, she had about 60 yards to go to get to the street and the guy in vehicle ahead of me was texting I laid on the horn as I could see this playing out in slow motion... the texting guy did not even look up and fortuantely one the adults was listenming, heard the horn, saw the situation and took off running, he was a hair faster than the child and tackled her just before she stepped onto street.... in front of the diptwit texting....I can tell you my butt was chewing the seat.... I stopped and the girl was mad because the bad man that tackled her hurt her. i saw both parents..there with that "look". Texting tard just carried on....oblivious....

As callous as it may seem LC at least it was just a dog!. It can happen so fast!...
Old 03-26-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbur1005 View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...shoot-dog.html

Try this one, the whole city is upset.
Don't see how that is even related at all. I think you win the award for most random, irrelevant, and useless post of all.

As for the OP, it's good you stopped. I lost two dogs out at the farm who were going out to munch on a deer that had been struck in the median of the highway. Both were killed one day apart and nobody stopped (despite the farm being directly beside where it happened). The dogs fault, and I don't really blame the people for not stopping, but the courtesy would certainly be appreciated. I've never actually hit a dog myself, couple close calls though.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:56 PM

A buddy of mine hit a German Shepard and he felt really bad cause it didn't die right away and he notified the owner and told him he would pay to have him put down. The owner was ****ed and wanted to fight him even though his dog was know for being on the road all the time......so two years later I've hit two dogs that were on the gravel road and never stopped. If your dogs playin on the road it's bound that he might get hit. Fact of life. If my dog got hit on the road, it is what it is that's why I make sure my dogs get an $@@ whooping if I catch them there. It sucks but it is what it is.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:34 PM

It sure sucks i hit one last year and it did $3000.00 dollars damage to the front of my truck. i talk to the dog owners and did not feel right making them pay for the damage!! good thing for insurance!!!!
Old 03-27-2013, 02:13 PM

Tagged one last night with the 18 wheeler. The pooch came out from behind a snow bank as I was cruising out on Hi-way 63. On coming traffic, right at the last light of the day, couldn't swerve left and I wasn't taking the ditch. I was too far down the road by the time I got stopped to try and turn around or walk back to let the owners know. On my return I seen he was gone, and it was past midnight, so I kept going. Wasn't a good night or even close to a restful one after that.

Is it possible to teach dogs to not chase after vehicles? I have had a few over the years and none ever done this? Why do dogs chase vehicles? If you live along a busy hi-way and your dog was a tire-biter wouldn't you try and curb the behaviour or keep him tied up?

BW
Old 03-27-2013, 02:25 PM

I just remembered a bout a month ago I was on the way home and had 2 dogs chase after my car. I slowed down watching in the mirror as one of the dogs got really close to the rear bumper I slammed on the brakes and I hear thump! I just stared laughing as I look back and see this dog shaking his head. He just ran into me.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Tagged one last night with the 18 wheeler. The pooch came out from behind a snow bank as I was cruising out on Hi-way 63. On coming traffic, right at the last light of the day, couldn't swerve left and I wasn't taking the ditch. I was too far down the road by the time I got stopped to try and turn around or walk back to let the owners know. On my return I seen he was gone, and it was past midnight, so I kept going. Wasn't a good night or even close to a restful one after that.

Is it possible to teach dogs to not chase after vehicles? I have had a few over the years and none ever done this? Why do dogs chase vehicles? If you live along a busy hi-way and your dog was a tire-biter wouldn't you try and curb the behaviour or keep him tied up?
BW
A very interesting question i.m.o. as a kid we had a lab/collie mix, and man did he ever chase cars. didnt matter if it went slow, fast, big or small he couldnt resist. in fact almost a few times he got his nose ripped off or worse. However my dog now (rottie/mastiff) has no ambition to chase cars or even look at them. funny thing is that i grew up in the country with the lab dog where he wasnt that used to vehicles crusing by every 15 seconds. and lived in the city for past 10 years now and had my current dog for 6 years.. maybe my current dog is more used to seeing cars and therefore doesnt care about chasing. maybe its not that i dont know.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorehor View Post
I just remembered a bout a month ago I was on the way home and had 2 dogs chase after my car. I slowed down watching in the mirror as one of the dogs got really close to the rear bumper I slammed on the brakes and I hear thump! I just stared laughing as I look back and see this dog shaking his head. He just ran into me.
lol funny actually. dogs have hard ass heads thats forsure!!
Old 03-27-2013, 02:34 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipperary View Post
Don't see how that is even related at all. I think you win the award for most random, irrelevant, and useless post of all.
The post is all about loosing a dog and how people react. Many people love their dogs. On the other hand, I like your randomness and I am sure it will take you somewhere. lol
Old 03-27-2013, 02:48 PM

Heading to the airport after a weeks vacation in Cuba, I was center back seat. Driver was tearing along an impossibly narrow street, a kids dog, pup actually, darted out. I braced myself for hard braking but the driver rolled the throttle down, dog thumped all the way down the bus and my face must have given something away. I did have the presence of mind to tell people it was a big box when asked. Them Cuban drivers are CRAZY.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-27-2013, 03:50 PM

I'm so sorry for all of you that have been involved or had to see it. I've been lucky and never got a dog. I think I'd have to be put in a padded room for a few days; I love dogs more than people. A couple years ago a rabbit jumped over the hill of ploughed snow on the side of the road immediately under my tire- no reaction could have done a thing. I burst into tears. I know that's funny on this forum, but I'm not personally a hunter and it really bothered me. So a dog? Can't imagine.

But... it's not your fault when an owner isn't keeping their pets (or other animals) on their property. And as sad as I would still be for the owner, it's their fault. I do think a person should stop and I commend you for taking care of the cremation, but ultimately it lies with the owner. Good to know so many of you try to do the right thing and at least make sure the poor animal isn't suffering. K, gotta go hug my doggies now.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:06 PM

I hope a little kitten love isn't too unwelcome.

We got a little orange tabby when I was about 13 yrs old... grew up on the farm just outside of Peace River... best mouser ever. He could take rabbits and weasels, which I've heard is a pretty good feat for a cat.

Followed my brother and I around like a dog... literally.

Flash forward to around my 30th birthday. The phone rings at my place in T.O.

Ma and pa came home from work and as usual Morris, would saunter out to meet them. He had a habit of laying in the tire tracks and hopping out of the way at the last second.

Old age being what it is I guess both he and the old man mistimed the rendezvous.

Mom told me the sad tale... I cried like a baby... Pops was a wreck for days...

sorry for the hi-jack
Old 03-27-2013, 09:21 PM

Default Terrible feeling

I did one time, wife (ex) was ****ing me off out camping with friends. I hopped into the truck to hook up to the camper in a hurry and didn't realize a friends dog had taken refuge under the tire out of the sun. I have never forgotten that and never will. Still feel horrible about it.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:40 PM

If any of you have been into Sabre Sports in Sherwood Park to pick up your Sh park F+G membership you know he has dogs.
He just lost his black lab yesterday in front of his house.
Dog ran out to go see another pooch on the other side. Guy was speeding in a school zone.
Jeff was good about it to the guy who smoked his dog. Dog should have stayed put.
That dog was personable. Too bad!

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 03-29-2013, 06:47 PM

Thanks for the kind words folks....I have literally caused to expire (politically correct )hundreds and perhaps over a thousand things in my lifetime.....but for some reason I feel the worst about this one!

LC
Old 03-29-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmamba View Post
yup , unfortunately it was my own dog .. worst day of my life hands down ... I was absolutely devistated holding him in my arms .. we made it to the vet but he passed 4 dyas later ..
Your not alone mamba ..its the worst feeling in the world ..mine made it back to town and had passed away in the back seat of my truck b4 the vet arrived ...
Old 03-29-2013, 07:12 PM
Banned

Yes ... my own 8 month old lab ...... Rest in peace ... Chevy
Old 03-30-2013, 09:14 AM
Banned

Here is some irony.I was in a Greyhound bus that ran over 3 dogs at once as we passed through an Indian Rez up in Northern B.C.The other 15 or so lived to chase cars another day.