Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-23-2018, 06:11 PM

Default Driveway Sealing?

I have never done it and am looking for advice in sealing a driveway and patio. I have a exposed aggregate driveway and walkway and a stained and stamped patio what is a good produce to use and how precautious do you need to be with it.PPE etc.
What do you do prep the job etc.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
I have never done it and am looking for advice in sealing a driveway and patio. I have a exposed aggregate driveway and walkway and a stained and stamped patio what is a good produce to use and how precautious do you need to be with it.PPE etc.
Did the garage floor.

Installer doesn't recommend driveway in Calgary. If you do it it has to be re-sealed every three years.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-24-2018, 08:53 AM

I do my exposed aggregate driveway and patio every two or three years. It's recommended to use a product with siloxane. The shiny, acrylic ones will give you a super slippery surface in the winter. I haven't felt the need for a respirator using the water based products. Can't recall what the MSDS says, but pretty sure it just says to apply in a well ventilated area. Pressure wash the driveway a day or two ahead. Roll on with a thick nap paint roller with an extended handle. Block it off for a day to traffic. Pretty easy.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:03 AM

Go to hard rock in Calgary and buy their sealer...it ain’t cheap and you’ll want a respirator for it. I do my acid stained deck every couple years and it’s in great shape and over 15 years old.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:43 AM

Has anyone tried the Ducan Concrete Driveway & Patio Sealer they sell at Home Depot? I also have aggregate and colored concrete and was going to try this stuff out.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:12 PM

I had a company come do it 2 years ago. Signed a 2 year guarantee on the receipt. We will come back to that

I spent an entire day cleaning the driveway with air blowers, so they would not have to. They were very happy with the driveway, said it was awesome. Leaves were falling, it was not super warm, and rained as they were finishing. It was absolutely gorgeous.
The sealer started cracking almost immediately. After a few rains all of it had washed off and was in a pile in the lowest spot of the driveway. The entire thing washed off.
I called them a couple dozen times and they finally came out again the next summer. I again spent the entire day cleaning. They again sprayed before they put down the product. It was just stunning. This time the weather was better, the driveway was hot, there were no visible cracks a week later.
2 weeks later there they were. In the spring when the rain came, every single bit of it washed off again, same pile in the low spot.
I tried for months to get ahold of them, every once in a while he would answer and give some excuse as to why he couldn't talk that day, bad service area, too busy, on a job, etc.
I texted them saying that I was going to take the receipt with '2 year guarantee' clearly marked on it to the Provincial Court house and file a statement of claim against them. He said he would file a dispute that it was my job to prep the surface, that I did not do a satisfactory job. I showed him on the receipt that it did no such thing. I said at that point I was fully willing to bill my standard rate for the 2 days I spent cleaning and prepping at my own cost, to save them time and money, which would double or triple the bill. He said that was unfair because of my profession, I had a far higher chance of winning in court. I told him I was fully aware that he was stalling to run out the 2 years, that I would not wait 1 more day before filing against him.
He then returned the entire amount to me, without further fight.

DO NOT DO ANYTHING WITHOUT SIGNED WRITTEN GUARANTEE OF THE PRODUCT FOR AT LEAST 24 MONTHS.
Even doing it yourself is a risk. I do not think any of the cold-applied products are worth doing in northern canada. I think you have to use heated stuff for it to work.

Also- the guys that have dropped by offering to seal my driveway are the scummiest looking losers I have ever seen. They all look the same!!! Beat down grubby clothes smoke hanging out of their mouth driving a 1984 half ton dripping oil running on 5 cylinders and several names scratched out and redone in black tape on the doors of the mismatched color truck. You get the idea. They are worse than the pushy a-h's selling security systems. Happily once they see the cameras they generally take a hint and move along.

just my .02c

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 09-24-2018 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:36 PM

Concrete sealing ....big discussion really. I’m trained in acid staining, went two week long classes conducted by one of the best in the US and we ended up in the magazine “fine home building.” For a chef I know a lot about concrete

If someone offers to spray the sealer....run away. Especially if it’s not water based sealer, it dries so fast that it’s actually almost dry before it hits the concrete. Many will disagree with that statement but I don’t give a rats azz because it’s true. Even if they do spray it should still be rolled to push it into the “pores” of the concrete. Thus..... why spray? Cleaning concrete is important, and a blower then a rotary floor scrubber is best. Most “dudes” who “seal” concrete don’t want to go to the trouble of that, they want to blow it, spray it and drive away fast.

I wouldn’t use water based sealer ever... and I suspect that’s what was used on Ken’s job.

freshly sealed concrete is a thing of beauty though, and it definitely will make concrete last longer. Especially with our winters and especially for exposed aggregate.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Did the garage floor.

Installer doesn't recommend driveway in Calgary. If you do it it has to be re-sealed every three years.
I reseal my driveway every spring.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:58 AM

I've done mine at least 4 times, doing every two to three years. Never an issue using silane/siloxane penetrating finishes rolled on after a good pressure wash and a day or two wait. Like I said previously, I've avoided anything with acrylic based on how slippery they can be in winter. The gloss look is nice, but....
Old 09-25-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I had a company come do it 2 years ago. Signed a 2 year guarantee on the receipt. We will come back to that

I spent an entire day cleaning the driveway with air blowers, so they would not have to. They were very happy with the driveway, said it was awesome. Leaves were falling, it was not super warm, and rained as they were finishing. It was absolutely gorgeous.
The sealer started cracking almost immediately. After a few rains all of it had washed off and was in a pile in the lowest spot of the driveway. The entire thing washed off.
I called them a couple dozen times and they finally came out again the next summer. I again spent the entire day cleaning. They again sprayed before they put down the product. It was just stunning. This time the weather was better, the driveway was hot, there were no visible cracks a week later.
2 weeks later there they were. In the spring when the rain came, every single bit of it washed off again, same pile in the low spot.
I tried for months to get ahold of them, every once in a while he would answer and give some excuse as to why he couldn't talk that day, bad service area, too busy, on a job, etc.
I texted them saying that I was going to take the receipt with '2 year guarantee' clearly marked on it to the Provincial Court house and file a statement of claim against them. He said he would file a dispute that it was my job to prep the surface, that I did not do a satisfactory job. I showed him on the receipt that it did no such thing. I said at that point I was fully willing to bill my standard rate for the 2 days I spent cleaning and prepping at my own cost, to save them time and money, which would double or triple the bill. He said that was unfair because of my profession, I had a far higher chance of winning in court. I told him I was fully aware that he was stalling to run out the 2 years, that I would not wait 1 more day before filing against him.
He then returned the entire amount to me, without further fight.

DO NOT DO ANYTHING WITHOUT SIGNED WRITTEN GUARANTEE OF THE PRODUCT FOR AT LEAST 24 MONTHS.
Even doing it yourself is a risk. I do not think any of the cold-applied products are worth doing in northern canada. I think you have to use heated stuff for it to work.

Also- the guys that have dropped by offering to seal my driveway are the scummiest looking losers I have ever seen. They all look the same!!! Beat down grubby clothes smoke hanging out of their mouth driving a 1984 half ton dripping oil running on 5 cylinders and several names scratched out and redone in black tape on the doors of the mismatched color truck. You get the idea. They are worse than the pushy a-h's selling security systems. Happily once they see the cameras they generally take a hint and move along.

just my .02c
You sir are the poster child for proper responsible consumerism. Holding such a company accountable with facts to back it up means they have no where to hide.

I am impressed with your story.

Everyone should note that most companies offering this work has one owner. All the work is contracted out piece meal. You need to fight for their A Team contractor...not the B Team. Makes a huge difference. Also ensuring the owner drops by frequently to ensure quality control is key. An absent owner driving a fancy luxury car taking your money and never seeing them again is a red flag.

Also ask for job references and check to see if that location had the work done.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-26-2018, 06:08 PM

For pressure washing what is the water pressure and GPM of the unit? What nozzle/ spray pattern are you using?
Old 09-26-2018, 08:27 PM

Default I did mine in glossy and looks great.

Quote:
Like said above the glossy can be a little slippery in winter but I do love the look of the glossy exposed aggregate. I used not gloss penetrating for my regular drive pad.
The gloss I used was Rock solid from Rust-Oleum.
The penetrating was Valspar concrete sealer.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:20 PM

I use high gloss on my stamped concrete. Just add some silica antislip product, stir in and roll on. I wanted to do mine again this year but running out of time and weather.

Most concrete suppliers will have the products you need to buy for sealing or to peel/wash off old sealant before applying new one
Old 09-27-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
For pressure washing what is the water pressure and GPM of the unit? What nozzle/ spray pattern are you using?
I'm using a Honda with 3200 PSI at 2.8 GPM with a fan spray nozzle like you'd see at a car wash, maybe a little narrower.