Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-15-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Yes please keep the walleye under control at gull. No better time than now. Hope they give lots of tags for the mid range fish and manage it as the perch whitefish and Ling and pike lake that it is. Nothing wrong with having the odd big walleye around and they will spawn successfully if they are big mature experienced females. Pike should be one under 75cm for a year or two to protect the dwindling number of bigger females because they have great gene pool there. Just my opinion.
Way too proactive! I've never seen regulations changed in Alberta to prevent a problem, usually any change comes along several years after a total collapse.

My biggest problem with them is that they never seem to realise that their lopsided management, protecting some species very carefully, while showing little concern for others, tends to throw lakes completely out of whack on a long enough timeline. Pike, walleye, perch, and whitefish... these species should all exist in well balanced populations in many of Alberta's water bodies, and did at one point. Right now its pretty hard to find a lake where one or the other of these species doesn't exist in an overpopulated and stunted state, while some of the others are nearly non-existent. Some of our rivers do manage to display a balanced eco-system but very few of our lakes.

Last edited by Bushleague; 03-15-2017 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JareS View Post
The worms themselves are invasive, read my earlier post on this thread

Link- http://worms.biology.ualberta.ca/spread/
Thanks for that! It's a tough one. Man probably baited the very first fishing hooks with a worm lol! they are here to stay invasive or not and been around for decades if not longer already. Can't really say they harm much, that I know of anyways, yet respect the fact some regions don't have any and would rather not have them introduced. An artificial worm out of all artificial baits is probably the closest to being like the real thing in most presentations and that's what I always tend to use instead of live anyways. Not as much dirt under the fingernails at the end of the day lol!
Old 03-15-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
I would have preferred a retention of 1 on pcr, if we are honest with ourselves that wasn't a healthy ecosystem, all those fish were stunted and eating themselves out of house and home, hopefully this allows other fish species to live and thrive. Perhaps we can see some perch or whitefish introduced as baitfish was sorely missing and the walleye eating all the pike and burbot should end. It's a bit much of a change in this particular lake but good to see walleye not being given the status of god in all of our lakes
umm have you ever fished PCR? got that a little backwards

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 03-15-2017, 09:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
It will be fished out by end of the year. With 3 fish limit, no size restriction, lots of fish and all other lakes in the area closed to retention its going to be like a bumper boat derby out there lol.
To bad, it would have been a good lake to do some "catch and restocking" with. Lots of lakes in the south could have used a few thousand(?) walleye stocked into them. Seemed to work well with Lac ST. Anne and Wabamun. I am sure the boys on the southern trail could have rounded up some boats to help F/W with a restocking program.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:46 PM

Will you need tags on PCR or it a free for all limit of 3?
Old 03-15-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
To bad, it would have been a good lake to do some "catch and restocking" with. Lots of lakes in the south could have used a few thousand(?) walleye stocked into them. Seemed to work well with Lac ST. Anne and Wabamun. I am sure the boys on the southern trail could have rounded up some boats to help F/W with a restocking program.
these fish are near the end of their lifecycle it would be a waste of time moving them somewhere else, may as well let people make use of them.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 03-15-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgaryguy1977 View Post
Will you need tags on PCR or it a free for all limit of 3?
No tags necessary. Wish they would've set it at 1. 3 seems a little excessive. Oh well, it did get a little tiring catching unlimited numbers of 16in fish.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Ha, figured some of you might like to see the new regs admin added a link to above. There are some significant changes this year.

They went ahead and opened PCR to retention as well as Burnstick and Glennifer and also 5 other new tag lakes including Gull.

Bow River regs were simplified and changed to bait ban catch and release everywhere from Banff NP to Bassano Dam.

It is now also illegal to waste burbot.

Also illegal to dispose of unused bait within 50 metres of water bodies except in a regularly serviced waste disposal receptacle.

There could be more too those are just the highlighted points at beginning of regs. Make sure you read through them carefully and understand them.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Yes please keep the walleye under control at gull. No better time than now. Hope they give lots of tags for the mid range fish and manage it as the perch whitefish and Ling and pike lake that it is. Nothing wrong with having the odd big walleye around and they will spawn successfully if they are big mature experienced females. Pike should be one under 75cm for a year or two to protect the dwindling number of bigger females because they have great gene pool there. Just my opinion.
Agreed
Old 03-15-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
umm have you ever fished PCR? got that a little backwards
I have many times, I was referring to the fact that pike (and burbot for that matter) have a very low survival rate as the walleye eat that lake out of house and home, that's why you normally catch 95%+ walleye, very little make it out of the minnow stage in that lake. While a blast to fish with kids or inexperienced fishermen as you have overpopulated stunted walleye it is perhaps the most out of whack ecosystem lake I've seen.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
these fish are near the end of their lifecycle it would be a waste of time moving them somewhere else, may as well let people make use of them.
Are you aware if the walleye are spawning? I've just never seen any other age classes other than those 2 years of stocking. I know there are so few pike or burbot that manage to live to a catchable size that those populations have such a hard time replacing anything that ever gets kept
Old 03-15-2017, 11:30 PM

Retention at PCR is long overdue,even my kids get bored of catching stunted fish that you can't keep one after another after another...Glad to see it.I think it'll be great for the lake and improve the quality of walleye that remain and if it makes a put and take trout fishery feasible then all the better.I like a good feed of walleye but would rather CnR feisty trout any day,walleye fight like a rubber boot and just lame for CnR,especially when they are a bunch of runt clones.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Don't forget:

Looks like an in-season change coming. I'm sure they must have meant to say "pulled" not plugged.
Remember the disclaimer at the start of the regs. This is just a transcription, and could be a transcription error. The only real regs are the act.

Vic
Old 03-16-2017, 12:37 AM

Good to see Pine Coulee is open to harvest. My kids (under 15), plus my nephews, don't need a license to harvest, correct? I like to fill my freezer with these walleye this summer!
Old 03-16-2017, 01:17 AM

Dissaspointed with the bow zero catch limit and no bait. my fall fishing for whitefish with maggot tipped flies now has changed for the worse. Aug16 used to be a pleasure to wake to and race down to the bow and bring some whites home for a fish fry. Was it the whirling disease??
Old 03-16-2017, 07:27 AM

If the walleye were proven to be at the end of their lifecycle and if the test netting shows no natural recruitment of walleye in PCR, then I have no problem with the plan to harvest the fish and make use of them. It's unfortunate that the lake apparently can't support a self sustaining walleye population.

My issue is turning it into another put and take lake. Chain lakes is pretty much the same distance from Calgary and already offers this "put and take" opportunity.

At least if we are going to lose a walleye fishery that was ideal for taking kids and newbies to, they should stock browns and brookies in addition to the rainbows, and have a minimum length restriction so there is actually some chance of catching a decent fish in it.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketrout View Post
If the walleye were proven to be at the end of their lifecycle and if the test netting shows no natural recruitment of walleye in PCR, then I have no problem with the plan to harvest the fish and make use of them. It's unfortunate that the lake apparently can't support a self sustaining walleye population.

My issue is turning it into another put and take lake. Chain lakes is pretty much the same distance from Calgary and already offers this "put and take" opportunity.

At least if we are going to lose a walleye fishery that was ideal for taking kids and newbies to, they should stock browns and brookies in addition to the rainbows, and have a minimum length restriction so there is actually some chance of catching a decent fish in it.
Size opportunity will come down to not only length restrictions but also proper stocking. People will probably have to fight to make it into a trophy fishery but I hope they do.

Browns or Tigers would be cool too.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosman177 View Post
Dissaspointed with the bow zero catch limit and no bait. my fall fishing for whitefish with maggot tipped flies now has changed for the worse. Aug16 used to be a pleasure to wake to and race down to the bow and bring some whites home for a fish fry. Was it the whirling disease??
No, it was the Poaching disease. People not keeping to retention limits.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 03-16-2017, 09:21 AM

If the water level stays where it is at at PCR there will again be no docks and nothing but mud along the shoreline so it will curtail somewhat the shore fishing.

As to the boat launch if anyone tried it this past yr they know it can and is difficult with the muddy bottom. Unless you have 2 people it is very hard to get your boat in the water.

The lake in it's current state is about 10 to 15ft. below normal so there is no way the boat docks will be put in this spring.

Might be a saving grace but most likely for no more than one or 2 seasons at best. First the burbs and now the walleye.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:15 AM

Remember your freezer limit of 3 is included in your daily limit. Fill your freezer and you fall into the dark side poaching group which I bet there will be many this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isopod View Post
Good to see Pine Coulee is open to harvest. My kids (under 15), plus my nephews, don't need a license to harvest, correct? I like to fill my freezer with these walleye this summer!
Old 03-16-2017, 10:32 AM

Be aware of the mercury warning for PCR walleye
Old 03-16-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isopod View Post
I could be wrong, but i thought, anyone fishing without a license (those under 16) would share your retention limit.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:42 AM

Kids have their own limit as well as the over 65 group on provincial regs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick0danger View Post
I could be wrong, but i thought, anyone fishing without a license (those under 16) would share your retention limit.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketrout View Post

To the best of my knowledge there may be some breeding going on, pike and burbs definitely have some but the biggest issue from my view is the sheer number of walleye, very few live to juvenile or adult status because they are eaten by the walleye. I suspect when the number of fish in that lake drops off a cliff we will finallly see some sort of balance return to that lake, it may not be the most prolific lake but it needs to be given a chance to balance out at what it's capable of holding.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
I'm sure some will be thrilled. It's very unfortunate IMHO. Another "consultation" on what was already a foregone conclusion.

With a walleye and pike limit of 3 each, it'll be fished out in a year. The boat launch and dock should be one amazing spectacle on opening day...

This makes ZERO sense to me. It's a real head scratcher.

It's perfectly OK to fish with it - which exposes it to the water and will inevitably result in lost bait entering the water body - but it can't be disposed of within 50m? Seriously?

How are the 99% of minnows or worms in a tub OK to be released in the water while fishing, but the 1% remaining are a serious issue if put directly into the water?

Is the bait affecting or somehow how harming wildlife within 50m of shore? Throwing it in the bush 51m away is perfectly fine?

If it's a littering thing due to the mess or the smell, then just issue a ticket for littering...
opening day?
it shows as being open now from what I read?
Old 03-16-2017, 12:41 PM

New regulations don't take effect until April 1.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORV View Post
opening day?
it shows as being open now from what I read?
Regs don't take effect until Apr 1
Old 03-16-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFugger21 View Post
Regs don't take effect until Apr 1
ah! got ya.

Thanks
Old 03-16-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
If the water level stays where it is at at PCR there will again be no docks and nothing but mud along the shoreline so it will curtail somewhat the shore fishing.

As to the boat launch if anyone tried it this past yr they know it can and is difficult with the muddy bottom. Unless you have 2 people it is very hard to get your boat in the water.

The lake in it's current state is about 10 to 15ft. below normal so there is no way the boat docks will be put in this spring.

Might be a saving grace but most likely for no more than one or 2 seasons at best. First the burbs and now the walleye.
From what winter we have had, I would think the snow pack should bring PCR and most lakes up to almost level...I am hoping......
Old 03-16-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
Be aware of the mercury warning for PCR walleye
I will take my chances....In moderation is the best