Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-14-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
Poland is going to win. We were so close in the Euro cup two years ago and we will for sure beat Germany! Half of Bundesliga is Polish.
Poland is a solid team. They can hang with anyone and will never get blown out. Not to be underestimated or taken lightly. I just don't think you can overestimate them either. They are a solid middle of the pack team here in a pretty easy group - they will move forward but temper your excitement - Germany is tough. If they end up playing Germany at some point - "styles make for good fights" and I'd say the German style could be a problem on quick counters. Then again, Spain wasn't able to hypnotise them into too much of a sleep - so they can hang with solid teams and can be resilient to matching their game to their opponent - I've seen quite a few of their games over the last few years (Polish Friend) and they aren't a push over for anyone.

You should come by for a beer when my buddy is over and you two Polish guys can be victimised by me - maybe bring a Serb too (my neighbour) and we can all drink and yell at each other !
Old 06-14-2018, 10:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Poland is a solid team. They can hang with anyone and will never get blown out. Not to be underestimated or taken lightly. I just don't think you can overestimate them either. They are a solid middle of the pack team here in a pretty easy group - they will move forward but temper your excitement - Germany is tough. If they end up playing Germany at some point - "styles make for good fights" and I'd say the German style could be a problem on quick counters. Then again, Spain wasn't able to hypnotise them into too much of a sleep - so they can hang with solid teams and can be resilient to matching their game to their opponent - I've seen quite a few of their games over the last few years (Polish Friend) and they aren't a push over for anyone.

You should come by for a beer when my buddy is over and you two Polish guys can be victimised by me - maybe bring a Serb too (my neighbour) and we can all drink and yell at each other !

Lol we can Slav squat. I still need to make a trip to Serbia as I've been to Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Albania and Montenegro. Technically Kosovo is Serbia so whatever lol, I can say I was in Serbia.

I'm putting my money on Lewa to at least shoot 2 against Senegal and then Pazdan to intimidate a few guys. It's actually interesting how well Poland did in the Euro 16 due to the injury Szczesny had. Fabianski actually did really well. We may have won against Portugal but we were idiots since we were leading and then let our guard down. Plus watching Ronaldo cry that whole match and just asking for a foul was fun to watch.

I haven't watched how France has been playing but I feel like Griezmann will have some beauties this World Cup.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:42 AM
Banned

Russia kicks a little butt to start things off 5-0.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:55 PM

Disappointed that Spain didn't win, they were clearly the better team. Their triangle passing is wicked.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Do you really want to defend / discuss Ronaldo as it relates to his childish tireless diving and arm waving / protesting antics?

Many people share my opinion - and it's prevalent amongst many fans globally. There are hundreds of tantrum or diving compilations on him on the internet.

He's an outstanding player - maybe amongst the best in history - BUT - His behaviour far overshadows his talents to many fans like myself.

As far as my comments being or coming from "an uneducated perspective" ..... I watch La Liga religiously and regularly see Real Madrid play. I also enjoy the Bundesliga.

And ... if you, yourself, are such a big Ronaldo / RM fan boy and watch LaLiga you would know your comparison to Leonel Messi, is ridiculous.

Lionel has battled serious injuries over the last 2 years .........and missed a ton of time over the last 3-4 years.

How did Ronaldo compare to Messi when he was injured and Leonel was healthy? How does the shoe fit on the other foot?

Either way .... you need to understand where my comments come from ....

There is an unwritten rule in international play about sportsmanship. You "normally" don't see nearly the amount of diving, complaining, etc.. in these tournaments and for good reason. Players who are chosen to represent their countries know enough to give it rest and save the "gamesmanship" it for club play.

The unfortunate thing, for many of us who do see his tremendous talent, it seems to be overshadowed by his behaviour.
I agree with almost everything you said!

What Ronaldo does is not unlike a lot of other players in all leagues however. perhaps the spotlight is on him more because of his nature. He flails and he does act like a baby at times.... Okay all the time.

I honestly think Messi is the best overall player in the world. The guy is phenomenal.

I am a Ronaldo fan because I am Portuguese. When it comes to club teams I am actually a Tottenham Hotspur fan.

In international football you have to blindly follow your team through the good and the bad. To me it is not much different than cheering on Marchand in the Olympics for team Canada.

That being said, three Goals and getting a draw with a team as good as Spain can show you that one person can make a difference. 3 Goals in three different ways was pretty amazing. That game is an instant Classic. Spain is unreal.

What I will say about Ronaldo, he had a chance to go down 2 seconds before the penalty but kept going. I was actually surprised he didn't go down outside the box after he was tripped up.

I think Portugal will finish second in the group, beat Uruguay and lose to France in the quarters. That's just my guess.

As for Messi and Argentina; They have so much talent its unbelievable. Higuain, Messi, and Dybala is a formidable attack. I see them getting to the Semi Finals if the can get past Spain.

Good Luck to your team this world cup! (Who is your team?)

Great Football so far
Old 06-15-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
A thought occured to me - since both players have been healthy this season ........and ...... if you look at this weeks stats - Messi has scored 34 goals versus Ronaldo's 26 goals in La Liga.

He also leads him in overall in all competitions combined.

Maybe that was a great question you asked.

Food for thought.

Ronaldo Started very slow. Messi like I said previous is phenomenal and will continue to be for a very long time.

If Messi had to choose between having more goals and winning La Liga or less goals and winning the Champions League what do you think he'd choose?
Old 06-15-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshawn View Post

Good Luck to your team this world cup! (Who is your team?)

Great Football so far
I am picking Germany for the Win.

I am Croatian and hope for the best. If they play attacking football and execute the counter attacks and outside runs they are dangerous for any opponent in the tournament.

If they sit back and try and play tactical they are frustrating to watch and usually don't do as well against weaker teams.

They are very similar to Spain and Portugal in that style of play - love to see them play, and I hate to see them play. lol.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshawn View Post
Ronaldo Started very slow. Messi like I said previous is phenomenal and will continue to be for a very long time.

If Messi had to choose between having more goals and winning La Liga or less goals and winning the Champions League what do you think he'd choose?
Ronaldo was nursing and rehabbing an injury and didn't play as much earlier in the season.

It's hard to say between the both of them who's the better player .... purely as a striker, Messi is the man.

Ronaldo is a hybrid player. Really a "forward" in the purest sense.

He might be assigned more less as a Mid on some games, and play higher in others but when he take up more of a outside position and plays more mid he certainly is better on the outside.

Both guys produce.

Both guys have a very strong supporting cast of quality players.

League play, to me, is more important. It obviously punches your ticket into Champions League. Without finishing well in League play - the Champions League is irrelevant from that perspective.

Champions League is a high quality side show and far more entertaining. You get to teams play teams that otherwise wouldn't ever meet. Kind of interesting to me - but really means very little in the grand scheme of football. The away/home format is a good way to mitigate a "bad day on the road".
Old 06-15-2018, 05:54 PM

Just watched the highlights of the 3-3 tie between Spain and Portugal.

My earlier comments, about 24 hours ago, about Ronaldo (his dives and antics) are proven once again. I rest my case with this guy.

The first Portugal Goal was a clear and shameful dive in the box as Ronaldo's cleats became suddenly nailed to the pitch as he goes down for a penalty shot. Every angle shows him swing his right leg (near his calf) out to "brush" the defender yet his legs become hopelessly immobilised.

Portugal's last goal, and Ronaldo's absolutely magic dipping ball into the top corner was made tasteless as moments before that, to get that free kick, it seems his cleats once again got suddenly stuck in the pitch drawing this free kick.

His antics are shameful and humiliating. This is how he represents his country. Good job, does he ever wonder what everyone in the world thinks about not only him but the nation he represents when doing things like this?

Spain was clearly the better football team.

Portugal clearly has the better actors.

I am sickened by this, yet again. I feel for Spain. They deserved the 3 points. Rolando deserved a red card.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:08 PM

lol
Old 06-15-2018, 09:26 PM
Banned

Man-U all the way
Old 06-15-2018, 11:38 PM
Banned

Another record breaking game for Ronaldo, and he basically gave a lot of credit to his teammates. I think he broke like 6-8 records with his play in this game. I think his country will be very proud of him, and he proved he is still one of the best players in the world. I detest the diving in soccer but EVERY player does it, and it is a real downside to the game regardless of who does it.

I have played and watched many sports, there were/are some great professional athletes and they are always a target for ridicule for some people. I do not always care for their antics but I always respect their talents.

Last edited by bobalong; 06-16-2018 at 12:03 AM.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:48 AM

Spain was dazzling, nice - pleasure to watch. Ronaldo should be on #metoo movement.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:57 AM

Ronaldo 3, Messi nil!
Old 06-16-2018, 04:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by robson3954 View Post
Disappointed that Spain didn't win, they were clearly the better team. Their triangle passing is wicked.
I disagree with you..Portugal is the better side. Ronaldo is a genius
Old 06-16-2018, 04:29 PM
Banned

Default Dives

Quote:
Just watched the highlights of the 3-3 tie between Spain and Portugal.

My earlier comments, about 24 hours ago, about Ronaldo (his dives and antics) are proven once again. I rest my case with this guy.

The first Portugal Goal was a clear and shameful dive in the box as Ronaldo's cleats became suddenly nailed to the pitch as he goes down for a penalty shot. Every angle shows him swing his right leg (near his calf) out to "brush" the defender yet his legs become hopelessly immobilised.

Portugal's last goal, and Ronaldo's absolutely magic dipping ball into the top corner was made tasteless as moments before that, to get that free kick, it seems his cleats once again got suddenly stuck in the pitch drawing this free kick.

His antics are shameful and humiliating. This is how he represents his country. Good job, does he ever wonder what everyone in the world thinks about not only him but the nation he represents when doing things like this?

Spain was clearly the better football team.

Portugal clearly has the better actors.

I am sickened by this, yet again. I feel for Spain. They deserved the 3 points. Rolando deserved a red card.
Diving is part of the game.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:33 PM
Banned

And the country many regards as the hope of African, Nigeria, bowed to Croatia by 2 goals to nil. No African country is yet to score a goal in this tournament.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:15 PM
Banned

Good stuff. The beautiful game is right.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pare View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbVJ-31JSrA
Old 06-16-2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
And the country many regards as the hope of African, Nigeria, bowed to Croatia by 2 goals to nil. No African country is yet to score a goal in this tournament.
Nigeria will develop and they will get better. They lacked the experience and composure but nevertheless their country can be proud of them - they wouldn't give up - they kept on pressing. They just didn't have that depth the Croatian team did. It was very clear who was in control pretty early on. Croatia squandered a few very promising plays - they need to get that sorted out but it could have been far worse for Nigeria today. They did very well all things considered.

Iceland, another tiny country like Croatia, held back Argentina. They surprised us all last tournament and I'm looking forward to watching them play again. Those guys play like mad men and seem to play their game no matter who they face. No bottling up and defending - they keep moving the ball forward.

Based on where Argentina ranks this group should be an easy win for them - but their lives just became much more complicated. I am picking them for top spot still but it's coin flip between Iceland and Croatia.

This is going to be an interesting group to watch.

Last edited by EZM; 06-16-2018 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
Fuuny Vid
Old 06-17-2018, 01:16 AM
Banned

Default Nigeria

Quote:
Nigeria will develop and they will get better. They lacked the experience and composure but nevertheless their country can be proud of them - they wouldn't give up - they kept on pressing. They just didn't have that depth the Croatian team did. It was very clear who was in control pretty early on. Croatia squandered a few very promising plays - they need to get that sorted out but it could have been far worse for Nigeria today. They did very well all things considered.

Iceland, another tiny country like Croatia, held back Argentina. They surprised us all last tournament and I'm looking forward to watching them play again. Those guys play like mad men and seem to play their game no matter who they face. No bottling up and defending - they keep moving the ball forward.

Based on where Argentina ranks this group should be an easy win for them - but their lives just became much more complicated. I am picking them for top spot still but it's coin flip between Iceland and Croatia.

This is going to be an interesting group to watch.

You are right!! but I think what killed the Nigeria game was the wrong tactics adopted by their coach. He put the only creative player they had (Alex Iwobo) in the wrong win. Iwobi ought to have played behind the striker but the coach decided to play him from the wing, I think that is coming from fact that the coach was trying to accommodate the aged and experience captain Mikel Obi. Well, they must have learned their lessons and Improve from there if they want to take anything out of this group.

Croatia on the other side, it is it fair enough for me to say that they did not deserve to win that match. They relied more on individual players instead of playing as a team. They cannot afford to play like this against Argentina.

Iceland and Nigeria match would definitely be a game to watch out for.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:37 AM
Banned

Wow!!!! World Champions Germany brought crashing down to earth as Mexico get the famous win in the action packed thriller.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:58 PM
Banned

Brazil held in 1 all draw by Switzerland. The World cup is getting more interesting. The underdogs are awake.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:51 PM

The "rankings" don't really tell you a story anymore. Any top 20 team can take on and beat a top 3 team on a good day.

The "gap" is significantly smaller and there no longer any easy games.

Sure the top teams generally post stronger results and are consistently solid - but the easy money is gone .... lol

I love watching the world cup.

The first half of the Mexico - Germany game today was some of the best soccer I have ever seen.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Disgusting part of a game. Video review challenge and 3-5 yellow cards a game would fix it in no time.

Some even practice it during training
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTcFC90cEEI

Last edited by ak-71; 06-17-2018 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:50 PM

I figured someone else might find this funny
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4F7B6D07-3401-4EAC-89A5-FF94990FE7BE.jpg (39.9 KB, 26 views)
Old 06-17-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-71 View Post
Disgusting part of a game. Video review challenge and 3-5 yellow cards a game would fix it in no time.

Some even practice it during training
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTcFC90cEEI
Gotta agree 105% here. Some may think it is integral to the game, but I would argue that they are Portugal supporters. I will acknowledge C. Ronaldo's skill, but I will never respect his game. It's dishonest- plain and simple.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:19 AM
Banned

Default C ronaldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulcousin View Post
Gotta agree 105% here. Some may think it is integral to the game, but I would argue that they are Portugal supporters. I will acknowledge C. Ronaldo's skill, but I will never respect his game. It's dishonest- plain and simple.

You won't call that dishonest. I totally disagree with you on that. Those tricks and dives are the little details you need to win a match sometime. Apparently all soccer player cheats.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
The "rankings" don't really tell you a story anymore. Any top 20 team can take on and beat a top 3 team on a good day.

The "gap" is significantly smaller and there no longer any easy games.

Sure the top teams generally post stronger results and are consistently solid - but the easy money is gone .... lol

I love watching the world cup.

The first half of the Mexico - Germany game today was some of the best soccer I have ever seen.
I concur