Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-23-2017, 08:57 AM

Default Calling Lake, High, Low, and in between

Was at the cabin last weekend and fished Sunday Afternoon.

Biggest problem from the East Side is getting on. The local electrician has been playing with his ditch witch Chain Trencher and cut a path on one spot through an honest 8 foot high ice heave. It is only about 10 feet wide, and it was a huge slab for that machine to cut in sections and push through. That was the only way on from the north end of the townsite and was an interesting drive between the ice ridges to get through to the Cut.

The Ice heaves on the east shoreline are incredible this year, with double heaves making an attempt to cut with a chain saw a real challenge. I WAS keeping a trail open in front of my place, then a second heave about 2 foot thick, and 6 - 8 feet high popped up. There simply is a lot of ice. If you have an 18 inch bar on a good saw, and the time, and a sledge hammer, and the strength to fill the open water gap with ice chunks to drive over, you would be fine.

However, the fishing is good. A native fellow I was fishing with landed 4 undersize eyes back to back, which is fantastic to see such solid recruitment. He had a BIG holographic image spoon of a whitefish and a minnow across the treble horizontally.

I had one at 43 cm, one at 60 cm, and one at 48 cm. It took some effort to get the keeper and I had a lot of hits that I missed or lost at the hole, but that was fine. Chris and Don were great company! Pike are very active for entertainment value.

I was simply jigging my standard gold Kastmaster with no bait, and the fish were active. Secret is to change out the small treble to something a few sizes bigger, and your hook set rate will go way up. Some guys will put a minnow head on for flavor, but you did not need it on Sunday. They were almost swallowing the kastmaster.

By the way, if you have an extension for your power auger, bring it, I was at the transmission on a Jiffy 30 to get through. You better bring ice cleats for your boots as the snow is very soft and the ice is very slippery and smooth. I was dancing a few times to stay upright, and that was not a pretty sight.

Drewski
Old 02-23-2017, 09:38 AM

Great report! Nice to hear on the sizes of wallies too.

Interesting on the ice heaves. Sounds like it is pretty bad. Pigeon is similar this year as well. No one should be near those spots with anything heavy when the real spring arrives.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Great report! Nice to hear on the sizes of wallies too.

Interesting on the ice heaves. Sounds like it is pretty bad. Pigeon is similar this year as well. No one should be near those spots with anything heavy when the real spring arrives.
Yeah, I'll second that... thanks for the detailed write-up Drewski

I have not been up since my last report and the heaves were getting bad then. Getting the itch to try again soon tho.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:30 AM

We were out monday eveni g and were ableto drive on at the launch at the campsite. We sawabout 5 other trucks on the ice. Barely able to drill through without an extension. Fishing was good. We caught 10 to finally catch 2 legal ones. Seemed to be steady action.should get better as spring approaches.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:29 PM

Default Calling Report

Was bloody cold start to the day but the sun came out and the fish turned on. Landed half a dozen eyes and only 1 pike. Just the way I like it Water is quite clear. Lots o ice, almost needed an extension, YMMV.

First one is dinner tonight and second was way to big...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lil walter.jpg (163.6 KB, 321 views)
File Type: jpg Big Walter.jpg (141.8 KB, 312 views)
Old 03-14-2017, 07:30 AM
Banned

Anyone have an update on calling drive on conditions ?
Was planning to take the fishin trailer up this weekend
Thanks
Old 03-14-2017, 07:57 PM
Banned

I wonder if they are going to monitor the boat launches for the thieves robbing the trucks this open water season ?
Old 03-14-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHBATTEREDBEER View Post
I wonder if they are going to monitor the boat launches for the thieves robbing the trucks this open water season ?
Camped there 6 times last year, never heard about this.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtz View Post
Camped there 6 times last year, never heard about this.

You just made the list of suspects.
Don't leave the country.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:18 PM

anyone have an ice update for calling lake ?
Old 03-16-2017, 09:00 PM

I spent the afternoon on calling. You can drive on at the campsite with no problem. I got checked by the fish cops and he told me they drove on up at the north end and came right accross the lake. I only saw about 5 trucks on the lake. Fishing was steady and i took home a 52 cm walleye. Bring your extension.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:52 PM

I'm out right now. So far it's been really slow. 4 guys fishing and the odd fish landed. First was too big, and the rest too small. Hopefully things start picking up as the witching hour approaches.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2017, 10:45 AM

Did a fishing tour yesterday ending at Calling.

Shemeluk for Trout, last year's stockers, a little tough as they are there and aggressive but turn away at the last second 9 times out of 10, luckily there are enough candidates to get a few before it shut down.

Crossed over to Amysk for perch. Weather front moved in and no perch being caught when the snow started and the wind howled.

Drove to Calling for the afternoon bite. the wind was HOWLING. Just made it through with the Jiffy, down to the hub. And the Pike were ANGRY!!!

I did leave the 10 inch auger in the garage. Big mistake. We were breaking off fish, and you could see the bills almost as wide as the hole as the fish lay under the ice. It took a lot of work to turn them to get the head in the hole. These were honest to god 10 - 12 pd fish. Took some pics, put them back in, and wondered what SRD was thinking by closing the lake for pike!

In the end, couldn't take the wind any more, and after landing 4 fish and losing a bunch, we just left. No walleye, but I think it was just a matter of time.

Drive on at the PP is still good. Ice is thick.

Drewski