Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-24-2018, 01:19 PM

Exclamation Frank Lake Duck Hunting

Been reading up on doing a duck shoot at Frank Lake. I'm assuming that there are quite a few hunters down there because it is so close to Calgary and I think I have a spot picked out. My only concern is safety, is there a lot of hunters shooting East-West or raking sitting ducks off of the water? Last thing I want is to be picking pellets out of my jacket after a day of hunting. Any other info on the spot would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:07 PM

I was there last Sunday,Tuesday and Friday. Tuesday I was the only one there....some days are busier than others , Sunday is by far the busiest. The thing with Frank though is more hunters is better, it gets the birds moving. There is lots of space so you shouldn't have issues if you don't set up too close to the next guy. We have pulled a few resident mallards and lots of Teal out of there lately but we are starting to see a few migrators show up. The geese tend to avoid Frank lake due to the hunting pressure but some occasionally some come in and provide shooting opportunity.

Just a heads up Basin 3 is closed as the Hutterites have cattle in that field.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:26 PM

Was there both days opening weekend - only one other truck at the whole place on the south end, so wouldn't worry. I keep a light on my head right until shooting light so any late comers can easily see where you're set up and move along.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSDucknut View Post
Was there both days opening weekend - only one other truck at the whole place on the south end, so wouldn't worry. I keep a light on my head right until shooting light so any late comers can easily see where you're set up and move along.
I’m most concerned about retrieving birds because I don’t have a dog if that makes sense.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigShooter View Post
I’m most concerned about retrieving birds because I don’t have a dog if that makes sense.
If you're on the west side, it's not deep and relatively hard on the bottom. With waders you can get a ways out there. So a dead duck is easy to get. If its crippled or in the grass, etc, not having a dog makes life complicated, but that applies to any water hunts. Swat any cripples really well and you'll probably get everything you knock down

Tags
calgary, duck hunting, frank lake, safety