Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Maybe rather than posting hypothetical information and ideas you should spend some time reading. For dangerous game a .375 caliber is the minimum prescribed by law in most African countries. Also many countries have a minimum energy amount such as Zimbabwe with 5300J for dangerous game.
As I stated before. Also read about why FMJ bullets were required for war yet you cannot use them for hunting. I would bet they will penetrate much further than any hunting round you can find but I can also guarantee that you will see that they don't do much damage and are intended to wound the target rather than kill.
What has been your observations when shooting game with various types of bullets from various types of cartridges? You obviously have some thoughts on the subject so I’m curious about your experience.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-07-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
See there you go again, just gotta pick it, lol.

Like I said, you’re doing a fine job of making yourself look not too smart.

Maybe quote me on something else I didn’t say, it seems to make your strongest arguements
Sorry. Thought i noticed you state that when you were describing the outstanding features of the 6.5 CM Said it looked good too. remember ?
Old 12-07-2018, 04:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Sorry. Thought i noticed you state that when you were describing the outstanding features of the 6.5 CM Said it looked good too. remember ?
Do you want to quote the whole statement or just cherry pick enough that you can throw it out of context?

I remember the entire statement, do you?
Old 12-07-2018, 04:31 PM

i
It as a post from earlier today or some time yesterday regarding why you bought one. You find it . I dont know how.

No, I don't remember the whole post .. just a highlight that i found "interesting".

Last edited by Salavee; 12-07-2018 at 04:40 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
i
It as a post from earlier today or some time yesterday regarding why you bought one. You find it . I dont know how.
Well if you don’t know, maybe don’t use it to quote me with! Telling half truths is no better than telling lies.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Well if you don’t know, maybe don’t use it to quote me with! Telling half truths is no better than telling lies.
I don,t hafta dig it up to remember what was said. Before you call me a liar.. you dig it up.

I dont lie. Try and remember that
Old 12-07-2018, 05:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
I don,t hafta dig it up to remember what was said. Before you call me a liar.. you dig it up.

I dont lie. Try and remember that
You already forgot you said you don’t remember just two posts ago??? Not surprising!

Im not sure if you’re playing dumb or just looking for a fight, either way you’re just an instigator. Funny thing is, my 6 year old pulls the same tactics. I hope he grows out of it, it would be embarrassing to raise an adult who acts that way.

Last edited by Kurt505; 12-07-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:34 PM
Banned

I do remember the 30 deg shoulder comment and it being a advantage in your opinion. Or that’s the way I read it.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
You already forgot you said you don’t remember just two posts ago??? Not surprising!

Im not sure if you’re playing dumb or just looking for a fight, either way you’re just an instigator. Funny thing is, my 6 year old pulls the same tactics. I hope he grows out of it, it would be embarrassing to raise an adult who acts that way.

I dont remember the complete post as it was all about you. The 30 dg shoulder ,as I said, was the interesting part.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
I do remember the 30 deg shoulder comment and it being a advantage in your opinion. Or that’s the way I read it.
It is an advantage.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-07-2018, 05:49 PM

Could use a little help again.
Trying to compare apples to apples using quality hunting bullets. I don't see the sense in comparing the best of one to the worst of another.
Lotta guys use Nosler Accubond LR. Might give 'em a try.

Winchester factory ammo is available for both the Creedmoor and the 270win in the Expedition product line.
Price per box is the same, so that is good.
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/96360

6.5 Creedmoor
2700fps at the muzzle
sd =0.291
bc = 0.625 got this from the Nosler website. The Cabela ad only had the MV.

270 Winchester
2900fps muzzle velocity.
sd =0.279
bc = 0.591 also from Nosler website

Can anybody run these? Creedmoor has the higher bc. When does it overtake the 270?
Much appreciated.

Also, I searched for 6.5PRC ammo. Nothing in TTSX, Nosler Partitions or Accubond LR, so nothing to compare.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
It is, and it’s just one of the things I listed that I said I noticed right off the bat.

If you really are interested in what makes a case design efficient, do some research because obviously nothing I’ve been saying is sinking in. A good place to start is P.O. Ackley.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
Trying to compare apples to apples using quality hunting bullets. I don't see the sense in comparing the best of one to the worst of another.

Winchester factory ammo is available for both the Creedmoor and the 270win in the Expedition product line.

6.5 Creedmoor
2700fps at the muzzle
sd =0.291

270 Winchester
2900fps muzzle velocity.
sd =0.279

Can anybody run these? Creedmoor has the higher bc. When does it overtake the 270?
Much appreciated.

Also, I searched for 6.5PRC ammo. Nothing in TTSX, Nosler Partitions or Accubond LR, so nothing to compare.
Knock yourself out.

https://www.jbmballistics.com/ballis...culators.shtml

-Billy Molls
Old 12-07-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:

6.5 Creedmoor
2700fps at the muzzle
sd =0.291

270 Winchester
2900fps muzzle velocity.
sd =0.279

Much appreciated.

The 270 out runs the creed out to a thousand with energy, velocity and drop with those numbers didnt calculate any further
Old 12-07-2018, 06:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogslayer403 View Post
The 270 out runs the creed out to a thousand with energy, velocity and drop with those numbers didnt calculate any further
What happens when you add 300fps to the Creedmoor? That’s basically where the 6.5 PRC runs.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
What happens when you add 300fps to the Creedmoor? That’s basically where the 6.5 PRC runs.
It would beat it at equal velocity so that would be some good numbers ill check. So looks like the drop is near identical but has 100fps and a 100 ft/lb edge on the 270 just quick numbers in my calculator
Old 12-07-2018, 06:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
If it was me I’d do a 40 degree shoulder.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
It would beat it at equal velocity so that would be some good numbers ill check. So looks like the drop is near identical but has 100fps and a 100 ft/lb edge on the 270 just quick numbers in my calculator
I think the 6.5prc is going to be a hot seller in the near future. It’s like a Creedmoor on nitrous. Probably less recoil than a 308 I’d imagine.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
I think the 6.5prc is going to be a hot seller in the near future. It’s like a Creedmoor on nitrous. Probably less recoil than a 308 I’d imagine.
Looks like a winner for sure ive had a few 6.5x284’s still have one love that cartridge the prc has an edge on it too might have to look at ordering a reamer lol
Old 12-07-2018, 06:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
6.5x284/ 6.5 prc is a very nice round. I’d argue upsizing to that over downsizing to the Grendel. Short action vs long action is goofy to me. The weight you save is like carrying an extra chocolate bar in your pack. With a short action you may end up being restricted if you have to chase the lands after a summer of practicing. 6.5’s are great we all know this. But they aren’t reinventing the wheel
Old 12-07-2018, 06:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Looks like a winner for sure ive had a few 6.5x284’s still have one love that cartridge the prc has an edge on it too might have to look at ordering a reamer lol

Here’s a great read on the two.

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/edito...6.5-prc/307816

I just happened to scroll to the bottom of that page and notice another excellent read on the 280rem vs 280ai
Old 12-07-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Here’s a great read on the two.

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/edito...6.5-prc/307816

I just happened to scroll to the bottom of that page and notice another excellent read on the 280rem vs 280ai
Lol ya i just did the same and noticed that too
Old 12-07-2018, 06:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41thunder View Post
6.5x284/ 6.5 prc is a very nice round. I’d argue upsizing to that over downsizing to the Grendel. Short action vs long action is goofy to me. The weight you save is like carrying an extra chocolate bar in your pack. With a short action you may end up being restricted if you have to chase the lands after a summer of practicing. 6.5’s are great we all know this. But they aren’t reinventing the wheel
First off, the 6.5prc is a short action so we don’t have to worry about that.

Ever since they invented a center fire cartridge, there is no longer an ability to “reinvent the wheel” as you put it, the best we can hope for is a slight improvement, which is where the Creedmoor lies. The caliber is no improvement, it’s all in the case and chamber design. If you looked at most of the “mainstream” wildcats, you’ll see they have a 30-40 degree shoulder and are throated for heavies, not an accident and it come standard with the Grendel, Creedmoor, PRC, and the Ackley’s.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Knock yourself out.
Laughing

Quote:
I think the 6.5prc is going to be a hot seller in the near future.
Ammo is pretty expensive and the load offerings are pretty meager. If it's going to achieve any type of popularity, that's gotta change.

Will it thrive or will it die?
Old 12-07-2018, 06:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Laughing

Ammo is pretty expensive and the load offerings are pretty meager. If it's going to achieve any type of popularity, that's gotta change.

Will it thrive or will it die?
It’s still extremely young. I’m sure as popularity goes up, prices go down.

It has to get more popular, everyone saying the Creedmoor is to slow will have to buy one.....
Old 12-07-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
It is an advantage.
for sure in the cm, but it isn't for many others. I wouldn't be buying a cartridge because of the shoulder angle
Old 12-07-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
for sure in the cm, but it isn't for many others. I wouldn't be buying a cartridge because of the shoulder angle
I wouldn’t buy a lot of cartridges for a lot of reasons but that doesn’t make it less advantageous.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-07-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
I wouldn’t buy a lot of cartridges for a lot of reasons but that doesn’t make it less advantageous.
I didn't say it was. Most the smaller SAAMI cases stay within 25-40 deg, so 30 deg is kinda normal, isn't it ?
Old 12-07-2018, 08:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
You only hear or see what you want to see. All I’ve done is post facts on ballistics, take from it what you want, but you’re obviously misleading yourself if you think I ever said the 6.5 is godpel, or even my favorite because I’ve made it quite clear, and stated numerous times that I prefer a .284 bullet. You, salavee, marky, nyksta, and xbolt make it your mission to try and discredit the Creedmoor no matter what is said, constantly taking things out of context to try and manipulate the conversation. I’ve never made claim or posted anything that wasn’t fact, if so show me where and prove it’s not fact. I’ve listen to your “ya buts” over and over, I’ve tried to explain that there is a time and a place for every cartridge, explained that the amount of force needed to kill a big game animal is easily exceeded by the Creedmoor if you stay within the limits. You’re the one taking offense to the notion that a 6.5 Creedmoor is a capable big game cartridge, calling it a needmore, remember that nonsense? Lol!!!

My view has never wavered or altered on the subject, yours has. I stated facts, whether you like them or agree with them is of no consequence. You were proved wrong when Stinky killed a moose with a Grendel. Oh, he took 2 shots to the body and one to the head to put it down? Your partner marky took two shots to put down his moose with a magnum, my buddy took 3 shots with a 300 mag to put down his elk, it all backs up my arguement from day one, if it has enough power to allow the bullet to preform as designed, and you put it where it’s supposed to go, you’ll be successful. That’s all I’ve ever said, but it’s enough to ruffle the feathers of a choice few, you included.

Go back to day one, I explained how a 6.5 Creedmoor is capable of retaining enough speed and energy to allow a bullet to work as designed further out than a 308 and posted the published numbers to prove it and the hurt feelings all started there.

It doesn’t matter if you beleive the bs I’m pushing, it’s fact. If you can prove the facts wrong I’d love to hear about it.
Hey now,,i clearly said i have no problem with CM, its you, so dont blame the cartridge. Everything you write could be sent straight back at you. You only see what you want, you only make up things, you only ruffle feathers, it doesnt matter what you believe. Your only here cause trouble, constantly taking things out of context, manipulating conversations. These are thing taken from just your last post, there’s dozens more. You also started three different threads knowing everyone would get the same reaction, but you did it anyway Man, you do everyone of those things all the time. It’s not the cartridge people dont like!

Last edited by Xbolt7mm; 12-07-2018 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Hey now,,i clearly said i have no problem with CM, its you
The feeling is mutual.
Closed Thread