Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-14-2014, 01:32 PM

Ya ! Glad to hear you finally got it. I was starting to feel your frustration!
Old 06-14-2014, 02:19 PM

For the actual gas cylinder I heated it up with a tiger torch then soaked it in liquid wrench. Should suck it down as it's cooling.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:31 PM

I notice in your posts, "Vorsprung durch Technik" - I guess that proved itself here!

Sehr gut gemacht!
Old 06-14-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist View Post
I notice in your posts, "Vorsprung durch Technik" - I guess that proved itself here!

Sehr gut gemacht!
I'm a huge Audi fan.

Speaking of which, they are 2nd and 3rd in Le Mans right now.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:46 PM

Now the gas cylinder wont come off. My hands are chewed to ****, my mallet destroyed.

I give up, $*%& you springfield.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:59 PM

Glad you got the plug. I guess you won't need my help today. Good luck with the rest of the tear down!
Old 06-14-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToXicXxX View Post
****ed that now the gun will be down until SAI sends me a new plug...
How come? Didn't you say the threads were good? Just use a pair of pliers or Vise Grips in the mean time.

Quote:
Now the gas cylinder wont come off. My hands are chewed to ****, my mallet destroyed.

I give up, $*%& you springfield.
Is it a bad time to mention that the Polytech/Norincos never seem to have that problem?

Just messing with you, good wrenching!

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 06-14-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
How come? Didn't you say the threads were good? Just use a pair of pliers or Vise Grips in the mean time.

Is it a bad time to mention that the Polytech/Norincos never seem to have that problem?

Just messing with you, good wrenching!
I'd rather not waste ammo sighting it in on the messed up plug, as a slight change in the gas plug can change zero, especially since my new plug is the SOCOM plug.

With the norc's they are thrown together haphazardly out of god knows what. No surprise they come apart easily.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
I'd rather not waste ammo sighting it in on the messed up plug, as a slight change in the gas plug can change zero, especially since my new plug is the SOCOM plug.

With the norc's they are thrown together haphazardly out of god knows what. No surprise they come apart easily.
Did not know that. But it would get you shooting it til the SOCOM comes in. How big a zero change could you be looking at?

I had one of the Norincos; some people had issues, but I think that they are surprisingly decent. And up to very decent with some work. Unless your game is benchrest or long distance shooting.

I traded it, as I got tired of chasing expensive brass. Just never used it enough.

Pureblood!
Old 06-14-2014, 10:03 PM

Ya the socom plug increase your accuracy by at least 500%
Old 06-14-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally338 View Post
Ya the socom plug increase your accuracy by at least 500%
Never said it increased it at all. It decreases recoil, and it was available in Canada, unlike the stock SAI plug. Being as the US will NOT send firearms parts to Canada, this was my stopgap. Do some googling and you will see changing plugs, even from stock to the stock adjustable will change zero.

Do you have a problem with me? Because it's becoming increasingly evident all you know how to do is whine and moan on my threads. I can mail you a box of tampons if you would like. Or you can settle down and pull the big stick out of yourself.

Also, the word is "Yeah".

Quote:
Did not know that. But it would get you shooting it til the SOCOM comes in. How big a zero change could you be looking at?

I had one of the Norincos; some people had issues, but I think that they are surprisingly decent. And up to very decent with some work. Unless your game is benchrest or long distance shooting.

I traded it, as I got tired of chasing expensive brass. Just never used it enough.
I am unsure in terms of zero. I am worried it will end up carbon locking again. I will wait until the new plug lands, worst comes to worst I can take my CX4 out.

Last edited by ToXicXxX; 06-14-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally338 View Post
ya the socom plug increase your accuracy by at least 500%
ouch!
Old 06-14-2014, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Never said it increased it at all. It decreases recoil, and it was available in Canada, unlike the stock SAI plug. Being as the US will NOT send firearms parts to Canada, this was my stopgap. Do some googling and you will see changing plugs, even from stock to the stock adjustable will change zero.

Do you have a problem with me? Because it's becoming increasingly evident all you know how to do is whine and moan on my threads. I can mail you a box of tampons if you would like. Or you can settle down and pull the big stick out of yourself.

Also, the word is "Yeah".

I am unsure in terms of zero. I am worried it will end up carbon locking again. I will wait until the new plug lands, worst comes to worst I can take my CX4 out.
Sorry Toxic, I had to have a little inward chuckle at Wally's comment.

What is your end goal, accuracy wise with the gun?

Put a little Copper-Kote or Nickel-Kote(?) on the outer (male) threads. Try to get it around 3/4 of the way around as the thread coating does not migrate well. If I remember right the Nickel is for higher heat, but I believe either would work well. The plug will not seize again.

Pureblood!
Old 06-15-2014, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Sorry Toxic, I had to have a little inward chuckle at Wally's comment.

What is your end goal, accuracy wise with the gun?

Put a little Copper-Kote or Nickel-Kote(?) on the outer (male) threads. Try to get it around 3/4 of the way around as the thread coating does not migrate well. If I remember right the Nickel is for higher heat, but I believe either would work well. The plug will not seize again.
I'm only shooting off a 3.5X acog, so really anything between .5MOA to 1.25MOA at 100 yards would be more then amazing. I didn't really have a purpose in mind when I built the gun, it was kind of a whim thing.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:32 AM

Glad it worked out, so far. Those cheap, Chinese , bastardized stripped bolt removers, have no place in my fancy tool box!! They get there own pedestal, never to be used until absolutey nessisary.
But by god, when you need them, they better still be on that pedestal
Old 06-15-2014, 02:49 AM

Quote:
I'm only shooting off a 3.5X acog, so really anything between .5MOA to 1.25MOA at 100 yards would be more then amazing. I didn't really have a purpose in mind when I built the gun, it was kind of a whim thing.
308 or 06?

Keep your powder dry,
SKW
Old 06-15-2014, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikwhiskey View Post
308 or 06?

Keep your powder dry,
SKW
.308. I believe you're thinking of the M1 Garand, which is 30-06.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:06 AM

OK OK you'll have to heat it up with a acytilen/Oxcy torch, it will heat it up quick and will not damage it.
Are you sure that it is not reverse tread ?
Old 06-15-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typical View Post
OK OK you'll have to heat it up with a acytilen/Oxcy torch, it will heat it up quick and will not damage it.
Are you sure that it is not reverse tread ?
Yeah, if it's not out now, may as well use the cutting torch. Putting heat to what are heat treated gun parts is not very bright. It is a right hand thread. Never heard of one that tight before. Past that, but you might have disassembled the gun and poured some penetrating oil into the gas cylinder.

Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 06-15-2014 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:06 AM

Smile What a post!

I don't know what the rifle is but I gather it is expensive. The original purpose was to clean the gun, make it more accurate? A bit like the lady who swallowed the fly.

I'm glad to were able to finally get it apart.

In brief do you know why it was so hard to disassemble? I have nowhere near your ingenuity or perseverance, if penetrating oil or liquid grease won't do it I'm out of ideas.

Are you a bench rest shooter?
Old 06-15-2014, 08:29 AM

Questions please,

Was this a factory new rifle when you purchased it?
Did you disassemble, clean, inspect and lube before first firing?
Did it show evidence of many factory test firings?
Was the original 6 point Snap-on socket a 'flank drive type?
Was the socket a thin wall standard or thick wall black impact type?
Was it old and worn or stretched or cracked?
Did you try an impact driver or impact wrench?
When you applied heat, did you use a propane or plain acetylene plumber's torch, or oxy-propane, or oxy-acetylene?

Glad you are making progress, I suggest you take as much time as you need to do it right, it is usually faster than quick.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:04 PM

Questions as well,

Is that socket set still on sale at Canadian tire?
Who is Socom?
Did you use a wooden, rubber or poly mallet and what size?
Are you right or left handed?
How's the weather down there?
Thanks in advance!

Also Try patting it on the butt to loosen the plug, it works every time on the cheese whiz jar.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
Questions please,

Was this a factory new rifle when you purchased it?
Did you disassemble, clean, inspect and lube before first firing?
Did it show evidence of many factory test firings?
Was the original 6 point Snap-on socket a 'flank drive type?
Was the socket a thin wall standard or thick wall black impact type?
Was it old and worn or stretched or cracked?
Did you try an impact driver or impact wrench?
When you applied heat, did you use a propane or plain acetylene plumber's torch, or oxy-propane, or oxy-acetylene?

Glad you are making progress, I suggest you take as much time as you need to do it right, it is usually faster than quick.
New from prophet river. Never been shot by me. Looks like they shot it 2-3 times at factory. Yes flank drive. Thin wall. Fairly new, I never have really had to use SAE sized sockets, mostly metric. No impact tools. I used a prope tiger torch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
I don't know what the rifle is but I gather it is expensive. The original purpose was to clean the gun, make it more accurate? A bit like the lady who swallowed the fly.

I'm glad to were able to finally get it apart.

In brief do you know why it was so hard to disassemble? I have nowhere near your ingenuity or perseverance, if penetrating oil or liquid grease won't do it I'm out of ideas.

Are you a bench rest shooter?
It was to strip the gun down to put it into a chassis system, as it must come completely apart to mount.

It was hard to disassemble because SAI seems to have soaked it in oil, then fired it, causing carbon locking in the entire gas system (carbon buildups form in the threads and actually lock them in place like a weld).

Once upon a time I tried bench rest shooting, but it wasn't for me. I mostly just like to plink.

There she is completed beside my storm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukwild View Post
Questions as well,

Is that socket set still on sale at Canadian tire?
Who is Socom?
Did you use a wooden, rubber or poly mallet and what size?
Are you right or left handed?
How's the weather down there?
Thanks in advance!

Also Try patting it on the butt to loosen the plug, it works every time on the cheese whiz jar.
I feel like this was a joke.

But yes, the sockets are still on sale.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
New from prophet river. Never been shot by me. Looks like they shot it 2-3 times at factory. Yes flank drive. Thin wall. Fairly new, I never have really had to use SAE sized sockets, mostly metric. No impact tools. I used a prope tiger torch.
I admit that I originally suspected a poor quality socket combined with impatience. I am a big fan of the impact drivers that another poster suggested, they are cheap and often very effective, they are often used by motor-cycle mechanics.

When you say propane tiger torch I am surprised as to me a tiger torch (2.5" dia. flame) has much too big a flame that would be difficult to concentrate as required for this work. IMHO any sized plain air/propane torch is not hot enough to quickly expand the gas tube without also expanding the male plug. I would much prefer a small oxy/acet tip as it is MUCH hotter and easier to direct only where the heat is needed.

Hope you were able to get the gas tube off. It is a good thing you are doing this dis-assembly now and not after several hundred rounds and some moisture. I suggest the use of high temp anti-seize to prevent these problems in the future.

Good Luck, YMMV
Old 06-15-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
I admit that I originally suspected a poor quality socket combined with impatience. I am a big fan of the impact drivers that another poster suggested, they are cheap and often very effective, they are often used by motor-cycle mechanics.

When you say propane tiger torch I am surprised as to me a tiger torch (2.5" dia. flame) has much too big a flame that would be difficult to concentrate as required for this work. IMHO any sized plain air/propane torch is not hot enough to quickly expand the gas tube without also expanding the male plug. I would much prefer a small oxy/acet tip as it is MUCH hotter and easier to direct only where the heat is needed.

Hope you were able to get the gas tube off. It is a good thing you are doing this dis-assembly now and not after several hundred rounds and some moisture. I suggest the use of high temp anti-seize to prevent these problems in the future.

Good Luck, YMMV
Using the permex anti-seize I use on bolts on cars.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Using the permex anti-seize I use on bolts on cars.
I suspect that will work just fine, I suggest a very thin coat inside the gas tube and a thicker application on the plug as the plug will tend to push the lube from the tube ahead as it enters.

Good Luck, YMMV
Old 06-15-2014, 07:47 PM

Qu. How many AO members does it take to get the gas plug out of an M 14 clone? A. Just about all of them.

Grizz
Old 06-15-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Qu. How many AO members does it take to get the gas plug out of an M 14 clone? A. Just about all of them.

Grizz
Clone? This is a genuine Springfield Armories Loaded. Not a norc.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Clone? This is a genuine Springfield Armories Loaded. Not a norc.
Springfield, the government arsenal, or Springfield, the private company that bought rights to the name?

Grizz
Old 06-15-2014, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Springfield, the government arsenal, or Springfield, the private company that bought rights to the name?

Grizz
Private company ofcoarse. Couldn't own a real M14 here, would be a prohib! They are still built quite well, probably the best for any M14 type rifle you'd find.