Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-08-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post

I must say that you are the ONLY person I have ever met with anything nice to say about Dodic.

x2
Old 03-08-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Seriously? I haven't seen that range for 7 years or so. I can't believe it faces the other way!

Well now I understand why they were hammering away at them about west side bullets.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers.

I thought the LRPS range was shut down a while back, LRPS always has ranges booked at LFGA for training.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustDee View Post
x2
Really? He really helped a family member of mine when she was having legal issues.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatinthefreezer View Post
I thought the LRPS range was shut down a while back, LRPS always has ranges booked at LFGA for training.
Don't know. Pretty sure the LRPS range is still in operation.

A number of agencies use the LFGA range: RCMP, F&W, Blood Tribe Police, AB Parks (COs),... I think the Sherrifs use it as well.

Not sure if CBSA and Corrections use it.

FYI, I guess we will have to cancel all shooting sports from the AB summer games. Damn dangerous athletes!
Old 03-08-2012, 04:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Lol. We got one. Because there was no "safety incident", which would be cause for closing the range, the fact that City administration closed it on Feb. 9th they may be in violation of our lease agreement.

However, we would prefer to not get into a legal wrangle with the city - as the only people who win then are..... you guessed it, the lawyers!

If want more information come to a meeting. If you are a member, you have the right to know what is going on with our organization and have your opinion heard.

Would be glad to fill you in on all the details.

I must say that you are the ONLY person I have ever met with anything nice to say about Dodic.
I might just take you up on that.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridger2010 View Post
Really? He really helped a family member of mine when she was having legal issues.
Seriously Bridger. I have never, in almost 8 years, heard the slightest positive thing. Maybe I am hanging out with the wrong crowd.

Obviously someone thought he would have been a good mayor otherwise he would not have been elected. Speaking of elections, it was pretty clear that Dodic won because the vote was split between 2 (actually a lot more) other candidates. Let's not let that happen again.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
I might just take you up on that.
Absolutely any time.

Sorry for coming across so, shall we say, acidic. We are all a little sensitive about this issue.

Up until listening to Dodic's Tuesday interview on CBC I have tried not to say or repeat negative things about the Mayor. However, after listening to that interview I got mad. His arrogance was unbelievable to me. The fact that he would not correct that CBC douche about the tabling motion made me see Dodic for what he really is (and what I have always heard about him); an anti-gun, anti-range, self serving individual with the ethics that we have come to associate with his other profession.

Last edited by Pudelpointer; 03-08-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:38 PM
Banned

Default dodic and the cops

Sad, pathetic, embarrassing.
As a lawyer, I'd sure hope Dodic recognized the cop's report and presentation was as weak as wet paper. Never would that officer be allowed to make such a presentation in a court, or even a real hearing. It truly was a sad display of the LRPS. I won't suggest the individual officer is to blame - it was quite obvious that the LRPS were put to the task by the city. Let's hope Dodic knows that if this is who 'has his back' on his issues, he's a dead duck politically.
Listening to the cop fumble and stumble his way through his 'facts', even the last minute, no case / no evidence 'smoking gun' (smoking bong?) incident, made me wonder if he was purposely obfuscating to confuse council and the crowd, or was he truly that clueless as to the 'facts' of his very own report?
The silence and 3 blind mice routine when the question was pushed 'who was in the room when the cops were asked to investigate this?' was a disgusting display of the lack of transparency of this council, particularly the Mayor.
Regardless of any other matter, he'll never get my vote.
Not at all surprised that they held it over. More bootstrapping to come. A method of attrition on large groups, hold over, meet again, hope half those folks can't make it...
Maybe the developers will attend the next meeting to answer the 'who asked for this' question.
Alderman Parker's point "not as single contact from a North side resident thanking the city for stopping this (so called) safety hazard". Very telling.

Be sure to take a moment to write to council again. And if at all possible - attend the next meeting!
Old 03-08-2012, 04:49 PM

NewAlbertan, the three blind mice routine showed how the city Administration thought they would not be held to account. The councillors were the ones asking the question.

The administration's performance was pathetic. IMO they should be looking for other employment options.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Don't know. Pretty sure the LRPS range is still in operation.

A number of agencies use the LFGA range: RCMP, F&W, Blood Tribe Police, AB Parks (COs),... I think the Sherrifs use it as well.

Not sure if CBSA and Corrections use it.

FYI, I guess we will have to cancel all shooting sports from the AB summer games. Damn dangerous athletes!
Yes CBSA and corrections uses the range, Its not just hunters and target shooters, all forms of law enforcement use the range as well as compitition shooters, It will be a big blow to lose access to the range
Old 03-08-2012, 05:38 PM

Exclamation

The range was actually one of the features I brought up to the wife when we were deciding on a place to move to, If the range was not here I dont think we wouldve moved here, as I am a northern backwoods boy and the prairies are no place for me
Old 03-08-2012, 05:51 PM
Banned

Default some did, some were distinctly quiet...

Quote:
NewAlbertan, the three blind mice routine showed how the city Administration thought they would not be held to account. The councillors were the ones asking the question.

The administration's performance was pathetic. IMO they should be looking for other employment options.
Agree, the admin was a joke too. But I think they just march to Mayor's drum... my take...

Notable that when the question of whether the Mayor was in the room, he kept quiet. Would have been politically beneficial to state emphatically that he was not, but he knew that might come back on him... so...

A poor situation all around. Folks just have to keep the focus on the facts of safety, and the LFGA will have to doubletime efforts to move...
Old 03-08-2012, 06:06 PM

Default mayor

come on you guys hes a laywer does anything more need to be said.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:53 PM

Why are people attacking people on city council? Shouldn't we be nicer to them until they make their decision? What's going on here is like telling your parents to "f" off while asking them for a raise in allowance. Not too smart!
Old 03-08-2012, 09:31 PM

I agree Geezer. As of now, the only member of council who is dead set against us is the Mayor. Ellis moved to table the issue, but I believe it was on Dodic's request; is he against us? I didn't get that feeling from the questions he asked, but when he returned from the break it was obvious he and Dodic were working on something - turns out it was the motion to table.

If the vote had been allowed, it would have supported reopening the range.

Jeff Carlson was quiet as a door mouse. Anyone hear anything from him?
Old 03-08-2012, 11:05 PM

honey vs vinegar.....

Whatever the LFGA's strategy ends up being, please do not tip your hand on public forums. You can be sure the anti-range folk are out there reading whatever is put down.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
That's his job if he is a lawyer. Probably got paid for it too.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:59 PM

This afternoon I am at my daughter's house fixing a door and I can hear the LRPS banging away down at their range.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:26 PM

You should go down there and ask if the public can buy a membership to shoot there.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 03-10-2012, 08:57 PM

The more I read about this the more disappointed I become with your civic officials.

Please, if there is some way for you to utilize the support of fellow enthusiasts nationwide, let us know.

If you have a letter writing campaign, point us in the right direction. I'm certain that you have tens of thousands of supporters across this country who would we be more than willing to take some time to support you. All they're looking for is a useful avenue to channel their passion into.

If this becomes a legal issue then by all means set up a legal fund, I'll be the first one to donate.

I don't think I'm alone in reading up on this situation from another province, and wishing that there were something I could do to show my support.

Help us to help you! You might be surprised how much support you will receive if you say the word. Let's get this fired up.

Kevin Wall
Saskatoon SK.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilsports View Post
The more I read about this the more disappointed I become with your civic officials.

Please, if there is some way for you to utilize the support of fellow enthusiasts nationwide, let us know.

If you have a letter writing campaign, point us in the right direction. I'm certain that you have tens of thousands of supporters across this country who would we be more than willing to take some time to support you. All they're looking for is a useful avenue to channel their passion into.

If this becomes a legal issue then by all means set up a legal fund, I'll be the first one to donate.

I don't think I'm alone in reading up on this situation from another province, and wishing that there were something I could do to show my support.

Help us to help you! You might be surprised how much support you will receive if you say the word. Let's get this fired up.

Kevin Wall
Saskatoon SK.
Kevin I would like to thank you personally for your support, I would love to have a few thousand people out of province have support for our range. The next meeting about the range will decide the final outcome and if its closed for sure, I will most definatly try and get a rally of people together to get a new range lined up at the cities expense. the rounds that were found were not from the range, and its stupid to think so. I really want to get out and shoot my gopher gun, and its hard to want to get into re-loading with no place to test
Old 03-10-2012, 09:32 PM

Default Range

I have sent an email to all alderman and expressed my concern.
I live within 500 yards of the top of the range. The only response I have got back is from Joe Morrow He seem to be in our court. I think all Lethbridge Shooters need to drop them all A message.All the email links are on the city web page. Let them know how many of us there are.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggeorge View Post
I have sent an email to all alderman and expressed my concern.
I live within 500 yards of the top of the range. The only response I have got back is from Joe Morrow He seem to be in our court. I think all Lethbridge Shooters need to drop them all A message.All the email links are on the city web page. Let them know how many of us there are.
I have gotten 2 emails back one from the mayor and one from an alderman. the alderman called me darren, even though I used my name about 5 times in the email and my email address has my name in it, not to happy about that, sure they got alot of emails but it doesnt take a genious to figure out a guys name when you read it 7 times before the end of the email
Old 03-12-2012, 01:08 PM

The thing that really sucks is that if the range opens again its only a matter of time before this happens again. With all the housing going up in the area all it takes is one person who does not like the range to get it closed again.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:16 PM
Banned

Default LFGA update email - Plan your Monday 19th afternoon!

Range Closed - Update

City Administration Meeting
City Administration met with us yesterday (March 12) for three hours. We agreed to the following goals:
o Short-Term: Maximizing Public Safety
o Medium-Term: Maintaining Range Safety
o Long-Term: Relocation of the Range and the Exploration of all Alternatives
In addition, we have agreed to a framework of options and solutions that we feel will address the interests of all parities. Now it is up to Lethbridge Regional Police Service, City Administration and Lethbridge Fish and Game Association to work within the plan. We look forward to working with these people to design a long-term solution that will maximize public safety while providing a place where firearm safety training and shooting sports in Lethbridge can flourish.
We look forward to the City Council meeting on, March 19, 2011.

Council Meeting March 19, 2012

The next challenge will be to get our people out to the City Council Meeting on March 19 and the meeting starts at 1:30 PM you working folks will have to miss some work to attend. For the details see the LATEST NEWS article on our website. There is parking to the south of City Hall and the Yates. This meeting is open to the public so you can bring your friends.

Range Crew Busy
While the range has been closed Allan, Stan and Rick have been busy inspecting all 6 ranges to make sure all the safety measures are still performing up to the original standards. They report that everything is in order.

Today the Vogls called in a group of volunteers to do some maintenance on Range 2. The cover on the 300 yard back stop was scheduled for replacement so this work was done while the range was closed.
To avoid confusion on the firing line the 150 yard and the 385 yard target boards have been eliminated. Here is Allan on the tractor with the crew. (picture here didn't paste)

Lethbridge Sports Council Awards Go To LFGA Members
Junior Male Athlete
Ryan Cady won the 2011 International Practical Shooting Confederation (IPSC) Junior Provincials and Junior Nationals in Production Class. He placed 2nd provincially and 8th nationally in Open Class (all ages) and is now on the CZ Canada Team.
Volunteer in Sport:
Allan Friesen is a volunteer with the Lethbridge Fish and Games Association who has given his time to provide leadership in a role that is normally a paid administrative position. Allan’s values of tolerance, understanding and cooperation have melded in all his activities. Allan is a real champion of the shooting sports and he is involved in all aspects of the range.

Copyright © 2012 Lethbridge Fish & Game Association, All rights reserved.
You are a registered member of the Lethbridge Fish & Game Association and this is the email that you provided to us when you joined.
Our mailing address is:
Lethbridge Fish & Game Association
Box 495
Lethbridge, Ab T1J 3Z1
Old 03-13-2012, 08:00 PM

The city cant possibly be too worried about safety since I see a sign (destroyed by wind minutes later) that the strip of land along stafford between the intersection for the range and the entrance to legacy ridge is now up for sale.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki610 View Post
The city cant possibly be too worried about safety since I see a sign (destroyed by wind minutes later) that the strip of land along stafford between the intersection for the range and the entrance to legacy ridge is now up for sale.

Kinda makes a guy wonder what the real motivations are huh?

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 03-16-2012, 04:43 PM
Banned

So the BIG decision day for the LFGA range is just around the corner and I would like to ask all LFGA members or anyone? If the range reopens and after hearing the LRPS view point on are range and the saftey concerns ( that we all realize is not are range ) should we still allow them to still use it? It just bothers me that this whole bullet strike thing started with a LRPS training accident and they still continue to use it Then they pretty much tried hanging us in the City Council meeting with no factual evidence! . Are we still going to let them use it? I SAY NO, they have their own range and if are range is deemed a saftey concern, I figure they are no longer weclome..... Please keep your answers professional !!
Old 03-16-2012, 06:08 PM
Banned

Default professional use of the range is a good thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browning Sharpsh00ter View Post
So the BIG decision day for the LFGA range is just around the corner and I would like to ask all LFGA members or anyone? If the range reopens and after hearing the LRPS view point on are range and the saftey concerns ( that we all realize is not are range ) should we still allow them to still use it? It just bothers me that this whole bullet strike thing started with a LRPS training accident and they still continue to use it Then they pretty much tried hanging us in the City Council meeting with no factual evidence! . Are we still going to let them use it? I SAY NO, they have their own range and if are range is deemed a saftey concern, I figure they are no longer weclome..... Please keep your answers professional !!
I'm going to say that's a bit petty. I think that the 'professional' (boarder guards, private security, cops, rcmp, military, etc.) use of the range is a good thing. They are in the same boat. OK, the lrps has their own range, but many others beside them use the LFGA range, enjoy it and appreciate it. I feel they wouldn't use it if they felt there were safety issues, and that speaks volumes for the LFGA and friends. Besides, from what I've seen, they are mainly nice guys, if not all good shots...

I think it's a bit of a shame that more 'professionals' aren't speaking up in support of the range.

REMEMBER ALL - 1:30 MONDAY 19TH - TRY TO BE THERE - IF NOT, WRITE THE COUNCIL AND REMIND THEM OF YOUR FEELINGS AND THE FACTS!
Old 03-16-2012, 07:37 PM
Banned

I don't recall boarder guards, security, RCMP or military in my previous post. I directly said LRPS...And to me the whole LRPS presentation to city council was PETTY..so. please don't add words or people to my original post...and don't assume...