Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-12-2017, 10:27 PM

Default 1903 Springfield

Picked one up a month ago that has already been semi sportered with a Redfield peep and Herter's stock from back when the earth was flat......and a Garand action /parts.......I have 1 1/2 30-06's.............Harold
Old 09-12-2017, 10:34 PM

Default Missed

THE .308 is 5% more accurate
Old 09-13-2017, 08:37 AM

Default 30-06 accuate enough for Gov't work

All the NVA Carlos Hatchcock put to sleep...........Harold
Old 09-15-2017, 10:22 AM

Carlos Hathcock sure kept the 30/06 cartrage alive as the US army thought it was past its time, Carlos took it to its next level of accuracy.

Very interesting read on his story as well as the old school Winchester Model 70 with a medium heavy weigth barrel

Dom
Old 09-15-2017, 06:14 PM

Default I too have returned to the 3006

I received a HVA 1640 from Tradeex last week. I took it to the range with a box of federal 150 gr 3006 ammo, to set my scope and check it for accuracy. The best group I got was 1.5 in. @100M. But I found the trigger pull was horrendous. I checked the pull at home on an electronic fish scale (not that accurate but sufficient to give me an idea) and it read between 5 and 6 lbs. I then polished the sear and the cocking piece with 400 and 600 grit paper, then lubricated it with graphite and teflon lube. This brought the trigger pull down to between 4 and 5 lbs. I then removed the trigger spring and replaced it with a spring from a pen. My trigger pull was now between 1 and 2 pounds. I found another pen spring which slipped inside the first pen spring, to bring the pull up to between 2 and 3 lbs. I will be looking for something better than pen springs, but this gives me something to test for better groups at the range.
I took the gun to the range today and shot some 1" groups. My velocity ran between 3000 and 3100fps with 150gr bullets and Varget powder. This is 300H&H velocities but then the Huskies have a 1 in 12" twist which I think speeds it up in the barrel.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:50 AM

Good on you Sashi, looks like you have things going for you.
Those HVA's are fun rifles,,, I had a copy cat Midland to one of those, I still with I had it, but things happen.

My Remmy LR is now an old bush Hog rifle after the Eastern Slopes of Alberta trip.

Lots of snow, rain, and mud, the factory rust proof coating is not that good, but that's no big deal as it will see some changes after the harvest season raps up.

1 Elk down and 1 more to go.

Sure glad I kept my Australia forward rifle sling from years ago, nothing like being able to assist my friend in his awesome take down. It is the easiest access to get things going when trekking on foot.

Hard to imagine that the Nikon scope is still holding zero after 2 weeks of fumbling along the wet rock and clay trails out west.

Them there mountains are now in the winter stage of good times to come. Just being out there is what its all about for me and old timer.

Buddies Remmy auto is working good as its all about quantity a-possed to quality. Ha.

Don
Old 09-28-2017, 12:55 PM

So it looks like my Remmy LR will soon become a Odd-6 Bush Hog bull barrel unit this winter.

Full work over from front to back, good thing is that optics, trigger, and action is sorted.

24" bull barrel with a reamed out throat so I can seat the 200, 212, and 220gr bullets out further.
Custom laminated stock with off white Maple wood inner and dark knotted layer out side,,, kind of the reverse of the stock for my F Class rifle.

The Bush Hog will serve as a plinker and limited game Harvester since both ideas are fun to work with.

The Remmy LR is spot on, but there is nothing like the custom fit.

I'm still looking at mid range optic ideas, 2.5 to 3x is deffinatly a must, and what ever power up top dosen't matter much any more since my tasks at hand are finally back on track,,, Ha.

My Bob Jury barrel is complete, Pacific bolt should be on its way next Friday for the F Class build.

No hurry as its just a fun project for this winter, nothing like taking on frozen river bank ice crystals. LOL

Good times forward as the plan evolves.

Don
Old 10-10-2017, 06:21 AM

3 day visit non Harvesting, and rifle profiling time.

The family had lots going on for the long weekend, this was good as it give my friend and I time to change things up a bit on part 2 of the game harvest plan. Same area we are in, and hopefully a wizer attack plan. LOL. More ideas on slowing things down.

We used Monday to check zero of the 30/06's and both rifles were spot on still.
They took a beating back in the harvest grounds, most of us catch our selves using our firearms as bush-bumpers, tree limb hold back sticks, walking-kains, creek bank climbing anchors, once in a while pry bars, and other functions we seem to come up with.

My rifle came in handy as a tent pole and a trap flap holder on one of those Windy days when trekking the wild lands.

Any Who, the weigth factor is good at the 10 ish lb range, but knocking off a few inches will allow for easier function of mobility. At least the little Nikon scope is holding its own,,, today I hope to get the 3X zoom/ field of spread % sorted... Our harvest plan is in dam thick bush and most likely an encounter will be up close and fast with limited time to act.

I see a 1.7- 4X 44mm scope being a wizer plan,,, at least for me that is.
Not sure how I ended up in the 3-9 zoom category, but I find that even 3power is just to much when bush stocking,,, and a quick crank of the zoom to 4X if needed will cover any distance I need.

In matter in fact,,, most of my open area harvestest have been on 4x's power.

Yesterday I was jumping bullets off all the iron silhouettes from 300 to 600M, back and forth using 3x power only. This would not be possible with out the range dot BDC Retrical.

The optics are the clearest on low power, not a bad field of view at 100m's,,, not so much at 35 to 50m's, if I spook up a Bull Elk off the bed, its going to be challenging getting onto it with the lowest of 3X.

Buddy got me onto full feed bursts as fast as we can jack them rounds threw these Chambers. Ha.
I'm pretty crappy at this after watching him PRS his rifle.

There is something to be said about youth. LOL.
He likes this idea since he finds that chunking critters 2 or more times puts them down in their tracks immediately.

His reply to this is called the 2 positive "WACKS" that we can distinctively hear. 1 "WACK" is good from those 30/06 180gr'ers,,, but the second "WACK" is the re-asurance that the dam thing is going down. LOL.

Youth thing I guess.

Off to fun worky today as we gear up for the next back woods outing with what we bring to the table,,, hopefully a little bit of learned skill with some luck gets us back onto those Elk. Wish we had time to stay the course full time, but still lucky enough to get out there part time.

Western Canada Don
Old 10-17-2017, 10:50 AM

This is month 2 of planning the PRS Hunter Bush Hog.

I've been researching 2 rifle stocks for this build.

The one that really stands out is the Canadian made Wildcat Ver-Tech.

http://wildcatcomposites.com/productinfo.html

I like the idea of the full length shank being molded into them, less chances of forend flex.

A few inches are getting removed from the barrel, so it will balance out the rifle much like it is in factory mode.

The barrel is getting close to the half way point of being worn out at 1700+ rounds,,, so the last part of its life will be in a shorter configuration.

A new barrel will be on standby this winter incase it gives up the ghost.

So far so good for the old Remmy as its holding its own for now.

Don
Old 10-23-2017, 11:51 AM

The 30/06 Var Tech stock is getting sorted today thanks to Stewart.

They come in short action only, but he does the forearm "fill-in" that allows for the long actions,,, the barrel length will be cut back a bit to help balance the rifle out.

The Remmy Long Range rifles are front end heavy,,, which is good as it helps them stay planted for long range target shooting stuff, but I can knock this back a bit since it will be much easier to handle in the thick timbers.

The 30/06 cartrage is not a power house like the big magnums, a little bit of recoil "hopefully won't put me off the game plan. Ha.
Most likely a few inches shorter, pretty sure the 200+ yard critter harvests will still work out.

Looking forward to have both rifles sorted as 1 will take me into the FTR category and the other for the fun bush league stuff.

I would of never thought I'd do the custom rifle thing in my life time,,, I can see now after this season spent at the RMH Range that these fun builds offer iron silhouette shooting like no other.

The big iron gong is fun, but those little ones put the challanges to rifle and its shooter.

Don
Old 10-31-2017, 01:57 PM

Ye Ha.
Looks like the F is just about sorted.
Quick shoulder/ arm length fit then off to the lachert coat process for the wood stock.

Couple of small things to order and its off to the races. Ha.

I'll probably have the barrel shot off before the spring matches get underway.

Oh well, at least I know where to get another barrel.

Another month and the harvest rifle will be in for its work over.

Stuart with Wildcat Composites is awesome to deal with, super good fellow and common folk.

Var-Tech all the way since it leaves the door open for F Class or PRS.

Planning ahead is always the best.

Don
Old 11-02-2017, 03:18 PM

Unit #1 is now it its final stages. Ye Ha

Don

http://IMG_0247.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0247.jpg (43.7 KB, 38 views)
Old 12-02-2017, 08:12 AM

Ye Ha

It's range day with 2 fantastic 30/06 rifles.

Rifle #1 is a Remmy LR Heavy weight Varmint class that is part way into its custom build.

Rifle #2 was a Remmy 308 that under gone the the full work over, the only thing that is factory is the action less the Pacific Tool and Gage bolt, trigger, bull barrel, Extra long laminated wood stock. I class it as a 30/06 short case since both rifles pitch the 178gr'ers at the same velocities.
The 30/06 short case is 1gr off max as the real Ought-6 is de-tuned by 3.5grs.
Both are seeing ft-per second values of 2675 ish give or take the +/-'s.

Range day is all about the consistant set-up form instead of actually shooting,,, and if shots are launched down range,,, they will be heading down there in the vertical line-up.

No need to shoot groups as that will come in time. Off season is the best, it gives all of us time wined down from harvest mode, and practic up for long range stuff.

Most of the load development stuff is sorted, but there is always little tweaks here and there that benefit tighter groups when needed.

The heated shelter is a plus, lots of room, and my in-field ammo system travels with me.
From Sun up to Sun down as we share lots of BS stories that are all true. LOL.

Kinda like sharing part of the dream with like minded folks.

Range days in Western Canada along the Eastern Slopes are awesome.
Hot coffee and more food then we can eat,,, later this winter the rifles will catch a ride into the mountains of snow on the quad with tracks.

We will find some long valley with a frozen rock face as the out crops become our wall of chipping stone.
The summer time we head back to the clay bank shoots so we can recover the bullets that show us the velocity of impact.

Most of them are pretty messed up from 100 to 600 meters.
They kind of resemble bullets at 700 to 900.
Depending on the clay and sand seems at 1 km to 1500 the bullets look pretty much intact.

At 1700 meters you'd never know it was shot from a rifle less the rifling groves.

Sun is just breaking, got to run.
Just being out there puts things into perspective, that's what really counts.

Old school Ought-6 is the way it is, no going back and diffenaty not forward as this size of cartrage is just enough to pull it off in learning skills and good times.

What else could a person ask for.

Don
Old 12-02-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
with

We will find some long valley with a frozen rock face as the out crops become our wall of chipping stone.

Don
If you want to try something fun find a shady canyon or rock face in the spring when the snow is melting and those huge icicles form, hanging off the rock faces. It's pretty fun shooting them, watching them fall and smash and crash their way down the rock faces. Some are huge and may take a lot of shots to break them off, depends on how frozen they are. Just make sure there are no ice climbers on them and that the area where they will crash down into are clear of people.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:24 AM

Yesterday's 30/06 shooting has me thinking about a new optics for PRS.

The PRS Web page has the top 4 scopes for competition shooting. I can see the value in this for fast track shooting different ranges.

Pretty fast once a person catches onto it.

I did ok with the dial up MOA thing, my ground chart and ballistics data put the bullets where they needed to be.

The smallest iron silhouettes are now part of the challanges.

Ye Ha, good times going forward.

Don
Old 12-03-2017, 05:35 PM

Us old school 30/06 dudes can benefit from stuff like this, if we choose to take on tactical shooting sports.

The folks have been switching to the simple Chisrtmas tree retrical since its fast with less clutter then the "Hours retrical system.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/1...-and-reticles/

Enjoy the read all.

Don
Old 12-04-2017, 05:59 AM

Just getting the 2 year planning stage underway.

https://www.horusvision.com/demos.php

This is the I Phone 7.0, hopefully by the time I'm ready to jump on board, the system will be in the 11.0 LOL

Don

Last edited by Don_Parsons; 12-04-2017 at 06:22 AM.