Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-05-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700-223 View Post
Gotta be honest - if I hit a 10" target once in 5 rounds offhand at 500 yds I'd be happy. Judging by my group sizes offhand my maximum hunting distance offhand is <150 yds, preferably < 100. Anything more I'm looking for a supported position. That said, I'm new to hunting, shooting larger calibers and probably overly cautious - I'd rather pass on a shot than risk wounding an animal.

Interesting thread, though. I'd propose a new contest - offhand at 250 yds, within the MPBR of most calibers for minimum group size. Say 4/5 within 6 inches is acceptable (with the idea that hitting with 9" is a clean kill on typical game animals), with bragging rights to the smallest group size. Needs to be cold bore, first five shots at the range (you can walk in circles for 5 miles to simulate hunting conditions if you like ). Should be easy really, since this is ~ 2.3 MOA (6/1.047/2.5), and every rifle in every magazine and on the EE shoots sub MOA, which means their owner must too.

Would like to see anyone who tries it post their groups no matter what. Would love to see how many groups 'pass' and in what calibers. Post your hunting and competition experience if you like. Hopefully, we'll see dozens of groups that pass. Just my $0.02

As a side benefit, if a 243 preferably (or 260 or 7mm-08 wins) I'll use it as evidence to convince my wife I need a new rifle

Hard to say I need another rifle with a 223, 308, and 7mm rem mag so any help is appreciated!!!
There are a couple of CHALLENGES that may meet your interst ...one, standing offhand at 300M and the other shooting off a bipod or "field" rest at 100m. I will bring them to the top so you can take a look. NOTE: The bipod/field rest Challenge is a hybrid brought over from CGN ... and if you search on that site, it is called the COLD BORE challenge as the first shot in each group must be shot on a different day from a cold bore. I just modified it to make it a bit more user friendly for AO.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:21 AM

Saw it after you brought it the the top - thanks!
Old 02-05-2015, 09:16 PM

I got lost in all the crap here, where are we at for target size?? I would like to give it a try
Old 02-05-2015, 09:20 PM
Banned

Give the 24" diameter one a try...
That's the same size I used.
Make more than a few...I used a string, a sharpie, butcher paper, and spray paint.

R.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:25 PM

K, does it have to be black or can I just draw a circle on White paper so I can see all the hits I'm gonna make?
Old 02-05-2015, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Just trying to save lives dude. That is all.
I don't think you need to worry about that, Rman made it pretty clear that theres been something special done to this firearm, and that he doesn't advise anyone trying to duplicate.

You're really ruining this thread. It's pretty apparent that you don't know what you're talking about in this instance, and that the shooter is quite informed on what was involved in the shoot.

Drop it already. IMO a mod should have shut you up a long time ago on this thread. Infuriating!

Edit:
I got pretty worked up reading bergerboys bs, and have now finished reading the last of this thread.

There are several on here who are an embarrassment and should be ashamed of themselves. Must be their insecurities shining through. I've never commented on the bs that goes on in this forum before, but tonight I just couldn't take it…unbelievable. No wonder so many are leaving, you guys really need to get a life.

R-Man, great shooting, I can't even begin to imagine shooting like that someday as I know I don't put the time or energy into it. Congrats.

Last edited by no-regard; 02-05-2015 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:34 PM

I have seen lots of guys hit steel at 500 with black powder cartridge, I don't doubt Rmans target at all.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-regard View Post
I don't think you need to worry about that, Rman made it pretty clear that theres been something special done to this firearm, and that he doesn't advise anyone trying to duplicate.

You're really ruining this thread. It's pretty apparent that you don't know what you're talking about in this instance, and that the shooter is quite informed on what was involved in the shoot.

Drop it already. IMO a mod should have shut you up a long time ago on this thread. Infuriating!
x2
Old 02-05-2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-regard View Post

Edit:
I got pretty worked up reading bergerboys bs, and have now finished reading the last of this thread.

There are several on here who are an embarrassment and should be ashamed of themselves. Must be their insecurities shining through. I've never commented on the bs that goes on in this forum before, but tonight I just couldn't take it…unbelievable. No wonder so many are leaving, you guys really need to get a life.

R-Man, great shooting, I can't even begin to imagine shooting like that someday as I know I don't put the time or energy into it. Congrats.

Best 50th post ever.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:36 PM

The only amendment to the OP is that the target diameter is 24". Good on everybody giving this a try, it could prove to be the most challenging of all the challenges to get 5/5. The most important thing is to get outside and burn some powder. Color of the circle is not relevant...whatever you can see best.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:22 AM
Banned

Weather has been decent.
Are there any targets to post up, or any shooting been done?

R.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:52 PM

I tried it out today. 20 shots and 3 holes in my target, spread everywhere. I call those 3 shots pure luck lol. 500 yards is a long way man.

I left my phone in the house though, no pics boys, sorry. Not really worth taking a picture either.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:38 AM

Lol, love these challenges. The hunting and shooting forums is nothing but talk about 500 yard kills,perfect neck shots, .25" groups yada yada yada....

Then you post a challenge and get maby a half dozen actual takers, most of who, while displaying excellent shooting skills, are nowhere near the superhuman feats that get bragged up non stop on here by practicaly everyone who shoots a box of rounds a year... I mean who would have thought that the 100 yard challenge would have so few takers, when I first saw that posted I figured it would be page after page of walnut sized groups. For every target posted there is page after page of guys spanking off to ballistics tables, spouting load data, and posting just plain BS. Lots of internet time but very few shots fired, more or less what I always suspected.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Lol, love these challenges. The hunting and shooting forums is nothing but talk about 500 yard kills,perfect neck shots, .25" groups yada yada yada....

Then you post a challenge and get maby a half dozen actual takers, most of who, while displaying excellent shooting skills, are nowhere near the superhuman feats that get bragged up non stop on here by practicaly everyone who shoots a box of rounds a year... I mean who would have thought that the 100 yard challenge would have so few takers, when I first saw that posted I figured it would be page after page of walnut sized groups. For every target posted there is page after page of guys spanking off to ballistics tables, spouting load data, and posting just plain BS. Lots of internet time but very few shots fired, more or less what I always suspected.
Have you ever considered that it might be weather related? Personally I do my shooting in August, just before the hunting season, for a tune up.

And what about what happened to Rman when he posted his picture? Ended up having to fight for days with people that didn't believe his picture and score, basically called him a liar. Personally I believe that he accomplished exactly what he said he did and with the rifle he said he used. If you ask me (not that you did) there are a lot of reasons why people haven't posted!

It's too bad that such a great and fun challenge has turned into what it has. Just my .02 worth.

Last edited by edmhunter; 02-18-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
Have you ever considered that it might be weather related? Personally I do my shooting in August, just before the hunting season, for a tune up.

And what about what happened to Rman when he posted his picture? Ended up having to fight for days with people that didn't believe his picture and score, basically called him a liar. Personally I believe that he accomplished exactly what he said he did and with the rifle he said he used. If you ask me (not that you did) there are a lot of reasons why people haven't posted!

It's too bad that such a great and fun challenge has turned into what it has. Just my .02 worth.
Rant about internet snipers... check
Exercise the ignore option one internet sniper in particular... check
Now to post something in the 100 yard challenge, I wasn't going to waste everyone's time in light of all the marksmen with god like powers that apparently frequent this site, but I changed my mind.

Last edited by Bushleague; 02-18-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:47 AM
Banned

no comment
Old 02-18-2015, 02:02 PM

Great shooting Rman.

I dont claim to know much of long range shooting, peep sites, or the caliber.

I am not to sure how close a .32-40 is to a 38-55, but i have personally witnessed an acquaintance ring torso sized steel at 500 yards shooting off hand, i would say thats near a 24" circle for arguments sake.
The gong rang about 50% of the time

No idea what sights he has on there, definitely not glass of any sort.

and no Gitrdone, he will not come show you
Old 02-18-2015, 02:27 PM

I don't recall anyone ever bragging on this site of making a 500 yard standing shot on game. From a rested position or bipod, yes. Shooting 500 yards from a rested position with multiple points of contact = easy, standing off-hand = not so easy. I tried the challenge and failed, that does not mean it cannot be done.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
no comment
Old 02-19-2015, 08:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Old 02-19-2015, 09:20 AM

First time opening this thread and holy #!?$...

We have a Chuck Hawks quoter and someone supporting him!!! Good humor!

I don't know Rman but I don't doubt the load or the target. I've seen that kinda stuff done a bunch from guys that taking shooting such rifles very seriously. Even hurtled a few school buses at distant targets myself with their rifles. Hits were made, not offhand mind you and no one wet their pants over transonic fears.

Some of these guys that don't get out much should go as a spectator to a bpcr silhouette event and let the guys there know about safe/unsafe loads that they've never loaded and transonic barriers that they've never shot through.

Good work gettin em stirred up Rman.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:16 AM

RMan = AO's Chuck Yeager
Old 02-28-2015, 06:10 AM
Banned

A fella just went four out of five shots off hand at the ram at the Rocky Range this past week. If that had been a 24" circle, it would have had at least 4 holes in it!
Get out and shoot!

What ever happened to Mythbusters?

Some ok weather this weekend guys, make up some circles and put some holes in them. I may try and get out and do the 300 yarder...

R.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rman View Post
A fella just went four out of five shots off hand at the ram at the Rocky Range this past week. If that had been a 24" circle, it would have had at least 4 holes in it!
Get out and shoot!

What ever happened to Mythbusters?

Some ok weather this weekend guys, make up some circles and put some holes in them. I may try and get out and do the 300 yarder...

R.
Do you know what he was shooting?
Old 02-28-2015, 07:06 AM
Banned

Lighter weight Rem 700 in 7mm Rem Mag with Leupold 6X and M1 turret...

R.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:18 AM
Banned

Nice! Gotta love the turret systems, Dial the yardage, aim dead on, bang - wack! Guess work be gone.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:22 AM

As per your request Gopher
Old 01-03-2016, 03:48 PM
Banned

Timely Bump!!!

R.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
As per your request Gopher
Thanks!

See how many I can get done don't really have a 22 so that's out and production rifles have really been messed with will check rules with you as needed.