Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-10-2020, 10:41 AM

Default What did you do in your reloading room today?

So far nothing. But, I saw this type of thread on another forum. It was full of pictures, gear reviews, process etc. It looked like a great idea. Maybe it will work here.

So what did you do in your reloading room today? :-)

-Billy Molls
Old 11-10-2020, 12:16 PM

I would love to show you! But im a clueless twit when it comes to posting pics on here....lol
Old 11-10-2020, 04:39 PM

I was down to the reloading room about 6:15 this morning.
I took 2 rifles out of there storage spaces, and went hunting with them(not both at the same time)

There are no absolutes
Old 11-10-2020, 05:25 PM

Getting ready to butcher tonight.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-10-2020, 06:43 PM

Not a darn thing, it's hunting season the loading room hibernates now till December

Did all my loading during lock down

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-10-2020, 07:25 PM

I also melted some brass for science. :-)

-Billy Molls
Old 11-15-2020, 01:16 PM

7mm-08 120 NBT 44.4gr RL15 2.780”

Old 11-16-2020, 12:08 AM

I love this thread. I bought my reloading gear and love the ideas this thread gives me.

I have a question. Does reloading room temps play a role in performance? Im thinking about using my garage as my current house doesn’t have the room to dedicate a room or space to reloading. So if I did reloading in the garage in the spring, temps being 10-13 degrees, would I see a variable if I went to reload in said garage in the early summer with temps in the 18-22 degree range?

Im thinking yes since the explosion is fuelled by oxygen after initial spark. So if I reloaded in colder temps, oxygen is denser, so I would see a slightly faster load in this circumstance?

And if I my thinking right, does it even matter? I know in engines it matters. I just haven’t noticed this topic come up much. Humidity comes up for sure. Also issues with max loads and pressure (loading in cold and then firing in the summer). That last part suggests there may be some truth to the air ratio idea...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-16-2020, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KazIce View Post
I love this thread. I bought my reloading gear and love the ideas this thread gives me.

I have a question. Does reloading room temps play a role in performance? Im thinking about using my garage as my current house doesn’t have the room to dedicate a room or space to reloading. So if I did reloading in the garage in the spring, temps being 10-13 degrees, would I see a variable if I went to reload in said garage in the early summer with temps in the 18-22 degree range?

Im thinking yes since the explosion is fuelled by oxygen after initial spark. So if I reloaded in colder temps, oxygen is denser, so I would see a slightly faster load in this circumstance?

And if I my thinking right, does it even matter? I know in engines it matters. I just haven’t noticed this topic come up much. Humidity comes up for sure. Also issues with max loads and pressure (loading in cold and then firing in the summer). That last part suggests there may be some truth to the air ratio idea...

In the big picture of things , no temperature of your loading room does not affect the performance of your ammo.
The temperature of your ammo at the time of firing has an effect on performance however, but for hunting it is not an issue, for long range match shooting , yes, but even then some disagree with this statement
Cat
Old 11-16-2020, 07:11 PM

Quote:

From what I have read unlike black powder, smokeless powder created its own oxygen during combustion. The ambient air that is present while reloading should not make a bunch of difference.
Old 11-16-2020, 08:40 PM

Ahh...time for some smallness. Reloading precision .223rem tonight. Beginning with some annealing.

Followed by sizing...then trimming....

More to follow...
Old 12-06-2020, 10:18 PM

Quote:

Id be more concerned with the humidity In a garage. If vehicles are not coming and going then it Be ok.
Old 11-16-2020, 09:25 PM

Thank you Cat & Berger!

Old 11-16-2020, 09:42 PM

Mounted the scope I repaired onto a nice 6.5x55 Brno (my new coyote rig) ....... Now just need to find the range under the snow so I can sight in.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 11-17-2020, 06:38 AM

Default 7mm-08 and broadheads

I loaded 50 7mm-08, 140 gr TSX, 42 gr of 4064. Decapped, sized and trimmed the rest of my 7mm-08 brass.
Also re-sharpened all the broadheads I shot this fall.

Old 11-17-2020, 07:45 AM

not much, took inventory of brass and supplies, looked at the mess and decided maybe tomorow I'll tidy it up, today I'll just cast some 44's and some 458's outside while it's still nice out.
Old 11-17-2020, 09:50 PM

Mounted a 10X J. Unertal, Vulture scope on a semi benchrest rifle in .222 Rem and an older Sako L46 action. That was an all day challenge to get it right. But was worth it.
Old 11-30-2020, 05:37 PM

I built my reloading bench today! Went to setup my press... and the handle is missing from the box. I contacted Lyman, let’s see what they do!

The garage floor is not level, so I had to move the left leg inwards to achieve level on all angles. It’s anchored to the studs via stud screws so it’s going nowhere.

Old 11-30-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
I built my reloading bench today! Went to setup my press... and the handle is missing from the box. I contacted Lyman, let’s see what they do!

The garage floor is not level, so I had to move the left leg inwards to achieve level on all angles. It’s anchored to the studs via stud screws so it’s going nowhere.

What is this that I circled in yellow?

Old 11-30-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
What is this that I circled in yellow?

It’s a tube for the primer feeder. I don’t completely understand why it would need a secondary covering after the fact; but it’s definitely not the handle. It lacks the threads for the lock nut.

I thought it was it too for a while

Old 11-30-2020, 07:28 PM

The tube on the right is what you have circled

Old 11-30-2020, 08:38 PM

Played with my new toy. Rolled up some .223rem with BLC-2 and 69gr SMK’s.

it’s the white thingy in the middle. Pic is just for reference. That’s last night with some .357mag stuff.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:42 PM

Nice!

-Billy Molls
Old 12-01-2020, 09:55 PM

Added a couple more 8 lb. jugs of powder to the hoard. Annealed and full length resized, trimmed 50 old fired and reloaded I don't know how many times cases to use in a new rifle which I bought new cases for but am too cheap to use yet.
Old 12-06-2020, 03:08 PM

Default Sunday in the loading room...

I thought I would document what I did today. I shot a hundred and one .44mag cartridges yesterday. And today, I’ll reload them.

For time and space savings, I won’t show the first two steps. They were de-capping the cases (Kids...that’s when you remove the spent primers). And then into the wet tumbler for two hours. Then on the drying tray for another two hours.

Step 1. The cases need to be sized back to spec. After they fire, they expand. Here’s a picture of a fired case before full length sizing in a case gauge.

Full length sizing....

And the resulting resized case in the case guage for reference...

Step 2. Full length sizing stretches the case. So trimming to the proper length is next. In this instance, the case length should be approximately 1.2790”. It is very important to get all of your cases pretty close to the same length. This is because when you crimp the case, your crimping die can give a consistent crimp (without having to mess around adjusting the die for differing length cases).

Trimming step...

Step 3. Next the case neck needs to be flared open slightly to accept a bullet easily so you can seat it into the case. Here’s a picture after the neck on this case has been flared open.

Old 12-07-2020, 09:17 AM

Finally cleaned my bench.

Old 12-07-2020, 11:30 AM

Well I've been picking away at getting my reloading area set up in my new place the past couple of weeks. In my last place I didn't have room for a proper setup and basically stored everything in 4 Rubbermaid totes and adapted my press and trimmer to clamp to whatever flat surface I could find to use as a temporary work bench. It worked, but was a pain in the arse at times! Now I have a 2ft deep x 5ft long bench with a galvanized sheet metal top where I'll permanently mount my press. Above this I have 3 Mastercraft cabinets which nicely hold all of my tools and components with some extra room for expansion down the road.

I'm looking for ideas on how and where to mount my RCBS case trimmer 2 so it's somewhat out of the way but still accessible. How have others addressed this?
Old 12-10-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psale63 View Post
Well I've been picking away at getting my reloading area set up in my new place the past couple of weeks. In my last place I didn't have room for a proper setup and basically stored everything in 4 Rubbermaid totes and adapted my press and trimmer to clamp to whatever flat surface I could find to use as a temporary work bench. It worked, but was a pain in the arse at times! Now I have a 2ft deep x 5ft long bench with a galvanized sheet metal top where I'll permanently mount my press. Above this I have 3 Mastercraft cabinets which nicely hold all of my tools and components with some extra room for expansion down the road.

I'm looking for ideas on how and where to mount my RCBS case trimmer 2 so it's somewhat out of the way but still accessible. How have others addressed this?
I mounted my trimmers, priming tools etc. onto a 12"x 6'x 1/2" pieces of scrap fencing lumber I had laying around. I store them in my roll away tool chest, when I need a tool I just C-clap them to the top of my work bench. Not fancy but it works and also doubles up the stiffness of the working surface by adding the extra layer of lumber to the reloading bench top.
Old 12-10-2020, 11:25 AM

I had 4 boxes of 12 ga steel BB shotshells that were hangin around that I had to disassemble into components. These shotshells would not cycle in my semi-auto shotgun because the diameter was too large for them to drop into the chamber. I did engage the manufacturer and they have since modified their process and sent me a case of shells for my trouble.

But it was time to dispose of these shells so I've been cutting off the tops, just below the crimp, with a box cutter, emptying out the shot, pulling out the wad and emptying the powder. So I've got a lot of steel BB shot and powder to find uses for.....told the wife I'll perform some firepit magic
Old 12-11-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
I mounted my trimmers, priming tools etc. onto a 12"x 6'x 1/2" pieces of scrap fencing lumber I had laying around. I store them in my roll away tool chest, when I need a tool I just C-clap them to the top of my work bench. Not fancy but it works and also doubles up the stiffness of the working surface by adding the extra layer of lumber to the reloading bench top.
Thanks 6.5 shooter, I'm thinking I'll stick with this same method. I currently have my trimmer mounted to a scrap section of 2x4 that I would c-clamp to a bench. I'll probably change that out for a fancy piece of scrap 3/4" hardboard or 1x4 I've got lying around to give a low profile look!