Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-14-2014, 09:52 AM

Default Savage 42 horrible sights, great customer support

I tried to shoot this brand new rifle at 25 yards at the range after already knowing it was rediciously high when shooting at some targets and critters. To my surprise it was 7" high at 25 yards and out of rear sight adjustment. I wasn't about to change my sight picture i had used just to make this rifle work and was ready to buy a rail to put a red dot sight on and scrap the sights. I called savage and without hesitation the service rep said a new rear sight will be put in the mail today for free and will fix my problem. No getting upset no having to talk to managers, 5 mins on the phone and problem solved. I will deal with savage again as I already know there good shooters. This high impact on paper was about the same for the .22 as well as the .410. Just thought I'd share with you guys the good news because I would have certainly trashed them on here if they didn't try to fix the prob. Have a good day, im off to the range.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:10 PM

The other cure for this, if the new rear sight does not fully solve the problem, is to install a taller front sight. This will get you back some usable adjustment on the rear sight. Other thing I found helped the Savage sights a lot is a Williams WGRS series peep sight that mounts directly to the scope rails. Much easier to use than the notch sight. I have one on a Savage 22/20 gauge and it works very well.

I have SPARC red dots on a Savage 24 22/410 and a Baikal 22/20 gauge, and while they work well, it does make the gun a little less sleek and handy. I have them on there as my brother likes to use the guns for grouse on cutlines and has relatively poor eyesight. If your eyes are good enough to shoot well with the open sights I like that solution much better.

Good to hear Savage continues to maitain their great custoemr service.
Old 10-12-2021, 09:26 AM

Old thread, I know but just got a used savage 42 with same useless rear sight. I called savage and they know nothing of a better sight. Anyone get one of these lately to shoot less than 6 inches high?
Old 10-12-2021, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esher View Post
Old thread, I know but just got a used savage 42 with same useless rear sight. I called savage and they know nothing of a better sight. Anyone get one of these lately to shoot less than 6 inches high?

If you want to keep the open sights, far and away the easiest and cheapest fix is a taller front sight. This will cure your problem. You can shave down the top of the rear sight a little at a time if you want to try that instead, might have to deepen the notch a bit at the same time.
Old 10-12-2021, 09:46 AM

How do you get a taller sight for this thing, sight is the barrel band for both barrels.
Old 10-12-2021, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esher View Post
How do you get a taller sight for this thing, sight is the barrel band for both barrels.
Well that sucks. I just looked at a picture on line, those really are crappy looking sights. I don't see an easy way to put on taller front sight. Only thought would be to crazy glue a piece on top of it.
I don't have the 42, I have 24s and the Baikal. Assuming the distance between front and rear sight is about 15" you need a front sight .1- .15 an inch taller. That means the rear sight would need to be shaved .1-.15. I would do this a bit at a time out at the range.

Last edited by Dean2; 10-12-2021 at 10:12 AM.