Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-09-2022, 07:17 PM

Default Help needed urgent!

Hey guys, may be somebody knows or have an idea: people are moving from Vancouver to Edmonton, they are flying with two small kids and a few small pets that they take inside the cabin.
They also have a German Shepard dog, about 40kg and a big cat about 7kg… They were told by multiple airlines that they can’t ship dog cargo because it’s too cold right now…. Both animals are in crates.
Driving for them isn’t an option.
How can they bring the dog and cat here?
PS. I think they might be a newcomers to Canada…
Old 12-09-2022, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Hey guys, may be somebody knows or have an idea: people are moving from Vancouver to Edmonton, they are flying with two small kids and a few small pets that they take inside the cabin.
They also have a German Shepard dog, about 40kg and a big cat about 7kg… They were told by multiple airlines that they can’t ship dog cargo because it’s too cold right now…. Both animals are in crates.
Driving for them isn’t an option.
How can they bring the dog and cat here?
PS. I think they might be a newcomers to Canada…
Hire someone to drive their pet here (maybe a friend) - or maybe call a courier or hot shot to see if they have any ideas.
Old 12-09-2022, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Rent a van/suv and drive.

Even if you drop it off and pay "one way drop off" it's still way cheaper than flying.
I suggested that too to them but they said driving is not an option…
Old 12-09-2022, 07:24 PM

Yes it is too cold to fly pets on commercial. Van/SUV is the logical choice providing they are able to rent one as newcomers. There are organizations that used to transport pets across the country on a volunteer basis, even some long haul truckers do it.
Old 12-09-2022, 07:26 PM

Quote:
I suggested that too to them but they said driving is not an option…
If they can't fly the pets, and driving isn't an option (or hiring someone to drive the pets) I'm not sure there are any other methods of transportation I can think of.... magical teleportation isn't cheap and submarines get stuck under the ice this time of year ....
Old 12-09-2022, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderal View Post
Yes it is too cold to fly pets on commercial. Van/SUV is the logical choice providing they are able to rent one as newcomers. There are organizations that used to transport pets across the country on a volunteer basis, even some long haul truckers do it.
Any names that you can think of? I tried searching but nothing came up.
Old 12-09-2022, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
If they can't fly the pets, and driving isn't an option (or hiring someone to drive the pets) I'm not sure there are any other methods of transportation I can think of.... magical teleportation isn't cheap and submarines get stuck under the ice this time of year ....
I was thinking of something like a pony express type of services, maybe there is a site that puts people together…
Old 12-09-2022, 07:46 PM

I have an old courier buddy that would likely do it. But likely $1000 + fuel. If you want I can pass along his number.
Old 12-09-2022, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
I have an old courier buddy that would likely do it. But likely $1000 + fuel. If you want I can pass along his number.
Yes please, I will pass it along to the people. Don’t know their financial situation, but they can decide..
Old 12-09-2022, 08:10 PM

I found three sites though not sure if they would do it. SevenOakes Animal Logistics out of Millarville, Ab. Freedom Drivers Animal Rescue transports found on Facebook. Paws Enroute out of Calgary.
Old 12-09-2022, 08:10 PM

I'm guessing it has to do with the airlines making more money off cargo this time of year than it is the cold because I have definitely flew a dog in cargo during winter before.
Old 12-09-2022, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rena0040 View Post
I'm guessing it has to do with the airlines making more money off cargo this time of year than it is the cold because I have definitely flew a dog in cargo during winter before.
I know! At 10,000 ft up in the air, it is -50C outside regardless if it is august or January!
Old 12-09-2022, 08:45 PM

There are some airlines that have heated cargo, check around and book the fights and everything with them.
Old 12-09-2022, 08:48 PM
Banned

If they are new comers to canada?
How the heck did they bring these animals with them In the first place?
Second question is why?
Old 12-09-2022, 08:51 PM

Quote:
I know! At 10,000 ft up in the air, it is -50C outside regardless if it is august or January!
Yes it is but there is no guarantee of the time spent between leaving the baggage area and getting into the warmth of the airplane.
That's why most carriers have winter rules on pets.
Old 12-09-2022, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Second question is why?
Would you leave your pet behind? I remember myself- wife, a 3 months old baby, 4 suitcases and the dog we refused to leave behind!
I don’t know all the details why and how, I don’t even know these people. Just saw a post on FB people asking for help. That is all.
Old 12-09-2022, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderal View Post
I found three sites though not sure if they would do it. SevenOakes Animal Logistics out of Millarville, Ab. Freedom Drivers Animal Rescue transports found on Facebook. Paws Enroute out of Calgary.
Thank you, I will pass this on to them.
Old 12-09-2022, 09:16 PM

Quote:
It has to do with stupid people making complaints to the airlines because they see a dog in a crate waiting to load on the tarmac when it is hot or cold (or warm or cool) and complain to the airline or post the video online. A few years ago a lady recorded her dog from her window on the plane and sent the video to a news outlet stating that her dog was in distress. The dog was fine, and I believe that Air Canada completely stopped shipping dogs soon after that. Up until about ten years ago, I could just take the dog with me as checked luggage. I had to find ground transportation for the last two I sent to TX as no one will fly them now.

Check with some horse transporters as there are a few going to the left coast. If you know anyone who pulls a cattle liner, you might catch one of them hauling a load of dairy cows out west and catch a back haul.

Gerry Burnie

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 12-09-2022 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-09-2022, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Agreed, we flew our dog from Texas to Edmonton in December.
Poor little bugger was in for a shock when he landed.
Old 12-12-2022, 07:12 AM

When we moved to Edmonton from Vancouver way back in January '73 we had a 1 month old son, two budgies and a cat. Took the train and my company paid for the car to be shipped.

About 40 miles down the tracks, probably near Langley, our train hit a gravel truck and our part of the train still on the tracks had to go back to Vancouver. We eventually got to Edmonton in the wee hours of the morning but I've always wondered if that event was an ill omen! Turned out OK and had a good career. The son is celebrating 50th birthday this Saturday.

Hope your move works out well.
Old 12-12-2022, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Second question is why?
Beef on the hoof?
Old 12-12-2022, 03:19 PM

My wife spoke with a lady last week who is here from Ukraine. Been here a few months. Brought her cat with her. It surprised me for a moment, but why not?
kidd
Old 12-12-2022, 03:22 PM

^ Sure, but a cat, a dog, and a few smaller pets? That’s a lotta pets.

Hope they can get sorted.
Old 12-12-2022, 04:34 PM

Have they checked with that Mountaineer train that runs from Vancouver to Banff
Old 12-13-2022, 06:38 PM

I just brought a puppy from Calgary to Halifax 3 weeks ago (WestJet) when the temp was approx. -10 to -15 C... Find it hard to believe they can't get their dog from Van to Edm.

Cargo holds on passenger flights are heated, my wife works as a baggage handler P/T when she's not at the hospital.

There are regulations on how big the crate can be, but that's about it. And Holiday (Xmas) travel, due to high volume. Oh, and flight has to be booked via WestJet, no 3rd party bookings.

Flights also have limited number of pet crates they can accept per flight, and also depends on the type of aircraft (Q400's usually can't accommodate large pet crates).

I have a feeling there's more to the story... And maybe too many animals.

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/pets

Last edited by FishOutOfWater; 12-13-2022 at 06:56 PM.