Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-24-2010, 06:48 PM

Default Construction of a ghillie suit

The following post will contain: a list of supplies that you will need, and the necessary steps involved in the construction of a ghillie suit.

The List: ( You can purchase all of these items at Wal-Mart or an army surplus store)

1: a pair of cover-alls old or new, or a set of BDU's.
2: Dental floss, or fishing line.
3.green or black netting ( spaces in netting doesn't matter )
4.A ball cap, or military cap.
5.6-12 meters of Burlap. ( yes I don't like running out mid-way through the project.)
6: A small set of sewing needles.
7: depending on where you hunt you may need some fabric die ( you pick colors ). Or if you are lazy use spray paint.

Ok now we will begin constructing the suit.

The first step will be laying the cover-alls or BDU's out flat on the ground, back up. Then take your netting and lay it over the back and cut the outline of the cover-alls, leaving 3-5 inches all the way around the edge so you can wrap it around the front of the suit and attach it snugly.

The second step is sewing the netting onto the cover-alls or BDU. This is where that dental floss or fishing line comes in. Just sew the netting on every 4 to 6 knots in the netting, all the way around the suit. Then when you are done that, flip the suit over and sew on the remaining 3-5 inches of netting on the front of the suit. Not only does this allow you to add some burlap or vegetation to the front, but holds the netting on a lot stronger. Then take your cap and drape the netting over it leaving about 6-10 inches hanging off the back and about half way around the sides, again sew this on every 3-5 knots in the netting, all the way around.

The third step is the most time consuming, and most painful as you may get a blister or two HAHA. Anyways, take the burlap and cut it into sections ranging from 5-15 inches long, it's important to have variation in lengths to blend in better. Then start pulling each single strand of burlap, one by one, until that section you cut is in singular strands. ( I try to keep the strands organized and straight, it helps when you start tieing them on ) Do this until you think that you have enough burlap ready for the suit.

The fourth step involves tieing the burlap onto the netting. You will want to take 4-8 strands of burlap, and tie them in a regular knot around each knot on the netting. You will want to start at the top of the arms and do that row, then move down and do the second row on the arm, and so on so forth. You want to tie the burlap on every knot, and between each knot on the netting. Once the arms are done, move onto the body and do it in the same fashion. The hat will likely be your trickiest obstacle as you have to start from the bottom, but it will work if you just cover it all up.

If you hunt somewhere other than the open prairies you will want to either spray paint the burlap or dye it. Again this is where YOU decide which colors will be best.

And there you have it, your own ghillie suit. But remember, just because you have a ghillie suit doesn't mean things won't see you, you have to learn how to move in the suit. But maybe I'll touch on that if there is any interest in it.

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited by Marlin xl7; 10-24-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:02 PM

I'm kind of surprised its taken this long to get a thread like this started. A trick I learned was to place a dab of heavy glue on the fishing line used to sew the netting onto the BDU's. After this thread Maybe I'll have to start makin another set. Thanks for the info!

You think we can get people to post pictures of their ghilli suits on here?
Old 10-24-2010, 08:09 PM

Please post pics, this is here to help people out. The only reason I didn't include pics with the instructions is because I do not own a digital camera.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:41 PM

Default Winter project!

Marlin thanks for this.

I cannot wait to get started.

That being said, it took me three reads through the third step before I realized that I had to take the burlap apart thread by thread!

Leave that for HNIC.

I will try to remember to take pictures when I am done!
Old 10-25-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobin View Post
Marlin thanks for this.

I cannot wait to get started.

That being said, it took me three reads through the third step before I realized that I had to take the burlap apart thread by thread!

Leave that for HNIC.

I will try to remember to take pictures when I am done!
Haha it takes some time but is well worth it in the end, keep us posted.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:16 AM

Default Camo burlap?

Just wondering if using the pre-dyed camo burlap would take care of the problem of having to dye the burlap strands??

Or is there not enough dye on the individual strands of burlap for this to work.

Just wondering if anyone has tried and what the results were?
Old 10-27-2010, 01:10 PM

I was thinking of trying it, until I saw the price. I believe its around 25 or 30 dollars for a small amount.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:16 PM

Another thing that you can do in the field is just take some natural vegetation and stick it in the netting of the suit. And if you are dyeing your suit or spray painting it, remember not to make it patchy with the colors.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:22 PM

So what you are saying is that poke-a-dots are not a good options

I guess I will just stick with the normal burlap.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobin View Post
So what you are saying is that poke-a-dots are not a good options
Not unless you like to hang around your local bingo parlor.