Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-23-2010, 09:35 PM

Default Disgusting!!! (My rant)

So, I headed out to a treestand tonight, one that I haven't hunted yet this year but I figured now was as good as time as any. As I was walking in, I noticed a few crows and magpies flying around but didn't think much of it. It was a good night, seen a bunch of deer and had a chance at a mulie doe.

About an hour before dark, I heard something coming through the leaves, and from about 100yds out, I could see the mulie doe slowly walking through the trees, so I stood up and got ready. It took her about 30 - 45 minutes to cover that 100yds and get to my shooting lane as she was super cautios and was constantly checking the air and would even occasionally look at me, even though I was down wind, and I hadn't made a noise or moved at all. But by then I couldn't finish the job while I was at full draw as my trigger finger had froze and was too numb to feel the trigger until she was gone. But anywho, after she noticed me fumbling for the trigger (I actually had to pull my head away from the string and watch my finger go onto the trigger), but she seen my movement and headed off to parts unknown. It was pretty well dark by then, so I got down, and for some reason, I decided to walk over to where she had ran from. As this particular stand in in the middle of some pretty thick bush, I can't see a whole lot through all the bush but when I got to where she was, I noticed a dead deer. I was quite certain that I hadn't scared her to death, so I went to check it out, and found a mulie bambi dead on its back. Upon further inspection, I found that it was laying flat on it's back (not natural for a deer to die this way), it had been shot, and it was a little stiff but no so much as to say that it had been dead for a while (I figured it was shot this morning).

I'm no CSI, but the way I figure it; the poaching bastards, killed the deer, got it onto its back to start the gutting job, figured it was just a bambi, so they left it there to rot... and, as I said, the bush is really thick so the only viable shooting lane I could find... was from my treestand. So I also figured that maybe the reason that this doe was so cautious and kept looking at me, was because perhaps it was her bambi that was shot and she knew where the shot had come from earlier? Like I said, I'm no CSI, but that's just what I think.

I can't belive the way some people think.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:34 PM

I seen the same thing in the san hills area a couple years ago that one was shot off the hiway.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:38 PM
Banned

seems to be an awful lot of speculation there. if you are sure it was shot and left then report it, but as for the story......i dunno......
Old 10-23-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
seems to be an awful lot of speculation there. if you are sure it was shot and left then report it, but as for the story......i dunno......
Like I said, "the story" is just what I think. But yes, it was definitely shot and was left there to rot. As for reporting it, what should I say: "I found a dead deer in the bush, do something about it."?
Old 10-23-2010, 11:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
Like I said, "the story" is just what I think. But yes, it was definitely shot and was left there to rot. As for reporting it, what should I say: "I found a dead deer in the bush, do something about it."?
Iv found quite a few shot and left, the wildlife officers cant really do much, thats what they said at least
Old 10-23-2010, 11:23 PM
Banned

what you should say is "this is what i found". if there is someone making a habit of this, and they can link the person to it then they will pay a little harder for all their stupidity. i have a friend who lives close to you and he found a dead moose that was shot and left. turns out it was one of 5 known in a one week span. they were found and because the fish cops could link 5thats what they were investigated for. not saying for sure thats what is going on....but it happens.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:01 AM

I'm thinking that this kind of sh#t happens all the time. What we need is a few more fish and wildlife out there to put the pressure on. A few years back I seen this kind of thing happen. A guy drove into the same field I was hunting in and his kid (age had to be around 14) got out the truck shot at a forker. The deer took off into the bush so the kid went to check it out, his dad then honked the horn telling him to get back and then drove away. I got out of the bush went to take a look and sure enough there was a blood trail going into the bush.
This is the kind of thing that this kid is being taught... guess what hes gonna be doing when hes older....
Old 10-26-2010, 08:25 AM

Here's my two cents.... the story is possible but not as important as the shot and left deer... We need to call these in every time and repot them so that the govt will see the huge amount of poaching or shot n ditched deer going on in an area and then maybe see the need to up the F and W budget next year and get some more oficers out in the field watching out for this kind of thing and keep the bad hunters away from ruining it for the good hunters. So report everytime u see it and they make notes and send i up the ladder and thats one way we might see some change in the amount of officers around.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_fool1 View Post
Here's my two cents.... the story is possible but not as important as the shot and left deer... We need to call these in every time and repot them so that the govt will see the huge amount of poaching or shot n ditched deer going on in an area and then maybe see the need to up the F and W budget next year and get some more oficers out in the field watching out for this kind of thing and keep the bad hunters away from ruining it for the good hunters. So report everytime u see it and they make notes and send i up the ladder and thats one way we might see some change in the amount of officers around.
X2. If people don't call in to report this kind of thing, then F&W don't know there is a problem. If the number of reported incidents is low, why push to hire more officers.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker34 View Post
X2. If people don't call in to report this kind of thing, then F&W don't know there is a problem. If the number of reported incidents is low, why push to hire more officers.
That's a good point. Declining calls is a good excuse to cut staff.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:35 PM

I called it in but was told that there wasn't much that could be done without a person or vehicle description. But hopefully they do start patrolling the area a little more (in 4 years of hunting that particular area, I have yet to see a CO).
Old 10-26-2010, 05:43 PM

phoneing it in is probably the best choice. The area we hunt in 248 had some problems with similar stuff, locals reported seeing deer laying dead in feilds that werent there the evening before and the tracks of people dragging deer from feilds that werent there the evening before, so there was enough reports that F & W really got interested and actualy caught the poacher. moral of the story even though they can't do any thing about that particular muley being shot its important to report it any ways for the big picture.
and as for people using your stand, your not alone.