Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-29-2010, 01:49 PM

Default Raising gamebirds for release on our acreage, choosing a species

My wife and I are looking at buying land around Whitecourt. I'd like to make raising game birds for release on our property a priority.

Huns are high on the list, and of course pheasant. Have considered quail but I like a gamebird that's a bit more dynamic, and larger. My greatest concern will be a bird that can survive winters around Whitecourt, as you don't see pheasant much farther North than here.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:56 PM

Predators would be a major concern of mine.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:22 PM

Certainly, if I get 5% of released birds to be around to breed free the next year I'll be very happy. So not that I'm not concerned with predation, but it's just a fact of life.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:32 PM

Hard to say about survival. I saw two hen pheasants just over the border in SK near Pierceland last spring. I talked to a lady who worked with me about them. She is the wife of an outfitter. She said there haven't been pheasants released there in years. So I assume these are descendants of released birds. A farmer told me that he shot one on his farm a couple of years back just outside Cold Lake, again no releases here. So I guess there is a chance of winter survival in Whitecourt too.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:48 PM

go with Huns cuz u know they can handle the winter and succesfuly breed as long as u have proper cover and alil pred control huns would be the way to go
Old 09-29-2010, 06:54 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplander View Post
go with Huns cuz u know they can handle the winter and succesfuly breed as long as u have proper cover and alil pred control huns would be the way to go
my thoughts only...if you are east of Whitecourt, in farmland ...you may have a chance (slim) with Huns if you are west or south, nada...BTW down here the natural mortality rate of Huns is 80%, in perfect habitat...so.....
Old 09-29-2010, 07:01 PM

hymalayan pheasents, tuff birds takes four years to reproduce though
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Himalayan_Monal
my Dad raised these birds and we found they were way hardier then ringnecks and servived the winters better wth little or no speacial cover , Dads land is north of Nojack, in the hills, a few escaped about 9 years ago and they are still serviveing, or atleast offspring are, in and around the farm, if the local susistance hunters would leave them alne they would produce way better

Last edited by u_cant_rope_the_wind; 09-29-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:22 PM

As said, if you are in an agricultural region Huns would be the best bet. They are more difficult to source and raise but will have a much greater chance of populating the area. Quail and Chukar will not survive. Pheasant unlikely. Sharptail and Ruffed Grouse are near impossible to raise in captivity.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
hymalayan pheasents, tuff birds takes four years to reproduce though
Himalayan Monal (Lophophorus impeyanus) breed in their second year.

On your other notes, you would be on the money.

Being from altitudes from 8,000 to 15,000 ft. (2,400 to 4,500 meters) and being found at higher altitudes during summer, they would be a far better bird for release in AB.

But this is a non-starter in these times. Introducing a new species into the wild is now frowned upon.

The States has been releasing nearly any species of Pheasant for over 100 years. Many areas now have viable populations of an amazing variety of species.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:25 PM

[QUOTE=But this is a non-starter in these times. Introducing a new species into the wild is now frowned upon.

[/QUOTE]

I would have to agree. Best check on the legality of what you can actually raise and release these days.

For many years, the govt. had a program encouraging 4-H members (and other individuals and groups) to raise and release pheasants. Does anyone know if this is still going on?
Old 09-29-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardent View Post
My wife and I are looking at buying land around Whitecourt. I'd like to make raising game birds for release on our property a priority.

Huns are high on the list, and of course pheasant. Have considered quail but I like a gamebird that's a bit more dynamic, and larger. My greatest concern will be a bird that can survive winters around Whitecourt, as you don't see pheasant much farther North than here.
depending on how much room you have and the type of cover your willing to supply ie brush piles, corn, tall grass and some man made boxes you may have some survival in phesants. I lived in whitecourt and fox creek and you do get alot of chinook winds roll through but it will all depend on the year and cover provided.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertslake View Post
Hard to say about survival. I saw two hen pheasants just over the border in SK near Pierceland last spring. I talked to a lady who worked with me about them. She is the wife of an outfitter. She said there haven't been pheasants released there in years. So I assume these are descendants of released birds. A farmer told me that he shot one on his farm a couple of years back just outside Cold Lake, again no releases here. So I guess there is a chance of winter survival in Whitecourt too.
Ya its odd as there have been a few sighted north west of bonnyville the last 2 years and nobody around here knows of any releases or anyone raising them in the area since the early 80's.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
Ya its odd as there have been a few sighted north west of bonnyville the last 2 years and nobody around here knows of any releases or anyone raising them in the area since the early 80's.
There are many Canada/Us wide that have no internet/computers that release each and evey year, as well as a good number of species.

Monals are a difficult species to propagate in numbers. The males chooses their mates. Often one can go through many females before he chooses one.
Then the next year he may choose to kill his mate.
A person would have to have a very large breeding program in order to get them established in any numbers.
By starting with just a few, the gene pool will eventually "kill" it's self off.
(or maybe evolve to something very abnormal ?)

Southern BC is a prime example of what can happen. Pick any common species of Pheasant/Chukar/Quail and they have it.
Good thing about that area(s), is many people are doing it and are bringing new blood lines in all the time.

I wish I could be alive 100+ years from now to see how this "mix" will evolve !
Old 09-29-2010, 09:46 PM

if you have some big trees and some good open areas try getting some wild turkeys. huts sell them in Manitoba. they are a harty bird they make it in Manitoba why not Alberta
Old 09-29-2010, 09:56 PM

Reeves,
The ones being spotted up here are ringnecks.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:13 PM
Amy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
my thoughts only...if you are east of Whitecourt, in farmland ...you may have a chance (slim) with Huns if you are west or south, nada...BTW down here the natural mortality rate of Huns is 80%, in perfect habitat...so.....
Where did you get this.Not that I disagree just wondering where you found it.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:31 AM

i know a tofield there is a bird auction a couple times throughout the year. i went there in the spring and there were lots to choose from. breeding pairs of ringnecks went for $15-20 each. lots of huns,qual,chuckar, pheasents,turkeys, i know the breeders there would know what survives and what dont. they also had jumbo ringnecks maybe there a larger hardier breed, they were quite a bit larger than a regular ringneck.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:03 AM

Can you get Huns from a hatchery?
Old 09-30-2010, 03:22 PM

I sincerely wish grouse were easier to raise.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:45 PM

id say wild turkeys the areas hills and big trees would be good habitat, imagine being the founder of the second area in alberta to host turkeys
Old 10-01-2010, 12:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted View Post
id say wild turkeys the areas hills and big trees would be good habitat, imagine being the founder of the second area in alberta to host turkeys
there is already more than 2.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:22 PM

Been looking into raising Ruffed Grouse, doesn't appear to be as bad as many make out, and there's a good amount of success stories out there. Just getting stock will be a challenge however, I'm sure.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:43 AM
Banned

Ardent, I am interested in hearing how this works out for you. I have been thinking along the same lines for quite some time but know absolutely nothing about it.

Interested in learning more for sure...
Old 10-03-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
sounds right. His farm is near La Corey. He said he was hunting rough grouse and the pheasant flushed.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:16 AM

Sure would love to have you as a neighbor!!!
Old 10-03-2010, 10:36 AM

I'll be giving it some thought, and for sure will let you know what comes of it Davey. This is a longterm project, as I need to find a suitable place first and foremost.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:56 AM

Location: Just this side of no-where on the edge of common sense

Back in the Jurassic Age when I was a teen there were Huns south of Wct. No idea how they got here but the locals always claimed that back in the early 60's the F&W ran all over the country releasing all sorts of different critters. Most likely folklore but who am I to say? They lasted a few years then disappeared. We had wild (I think??) populations of Sharpies for a number of years but they disappeared in the late 80's.
My Pa raised and released pheasants here in the 80's and early 90's and none ever made it past year two.
I would raise and release Ruffies in a heartbeat but I always understood that they were not allowed to be raised captive as they are an Alberta native species. Anyone feel free to correct me if that is incorrect and anyone else feel free to point me in the direction of a hatchery where I could purchase Ruffed Grouse chicks or eggs if such a place exists.
My personal belief is that the overwhelming numbers and varieties of predators is what prevents Huns and pheasants from surviving in this area. Our weather is not hugely different than a lot of other places in Alberta that support exotic game birds and feed sources could be dealt with artificially if necessary. I have never heard of turkeys being released in this area but my own personal experience raising commercial turkeys makes me doubtful they would make it here.
So that's my two one hundredths of a dollar.

Keep Your Powder Dry,
Dave.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
feel free to point me in the direction of a hatchery where I could purchase Ruffed Grouse chicks or eggs if such a place exists
No such place.

I do know of people that raise them, but none of them are in AB.
I had thought of raising Grouse (several species), but they can be problematic. So I didn't bother to look into the permits required for raising them.
I highly doubt you would get anything like permission for raising for release.

The first place that comes to mind in asking, would be your local F&W office.
If they do not have the info you are looking for, then Alberta Ag will/may have the info.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:10 AM

Location: Just this side of no-where on the edge of common sense

Thanks Reeves. That is as I suspected so I have never pursued it at all.
Regards,
Dave.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:26 AM

No problem.

One person on this forum to ask about stuff like this & would know a lot more than me, is puphood1.
He raises Huns & lives in southern AB.