Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-17-2017, 12:35 PM

Default Is there boat launch on NW side Cold Lake N of town?

I just have small 14 ft with 15hp and was wanting to fish north side of Cold lake near river. Hoping to cut out a very long boat ride across lake if possible. On google earth it appears to me that the last two cottage/house developments about 10 mi north of town on the NW shore of cold lake there appears to be a boat launch at each. The more southern of two is on RR420 and the northern one and last cottage development is on RR653A as it turns off RR15A
Can anyone confirm if either of these two developments has a public boat launch. Keep in mind my boat is a 14 ft aluminium that is light enough to carry if need be
Hate to drive all way up the NW side only to find cant launch and have to turn back to town or PP

Thanks for any info
Gord
Old 06-17-2017, 12:41 PM

We spent some time this spring driving around up there this spring to do exactly that - survey for boat launches.

For smaller, lighter and easier handle boats there is a launch here.

54.638978, -110.148634

For a boat your size (but nothing bigger than that) it should be doable.

For any boat bigger than that, were you can't wrestle your boat - it's English Bay up there. English Bay is a steep launch and you can get a pretty big boat in there without any problems, although the ramp is lumpy and not well maintained.

I typically pay and launch at the Marina and burn across the lake (the ramp and launch are excellent) but, then again, I can get across the lake in 15-20 minutes which isn't possible (or safe) for smaller vessels.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:06 AM

There are a few boat launches in the north side of the lake. There is one on the cold river side that you would have zero problems with a smaller 14ft boat at.
On the west side of the lake you can use the English Bay campground launch, like EZM said ramp is not in the best shape but I launch my 17ft boat there without issue.
If you go a little farther north there is a small sub division named Whispering Pines, I believe. At any rate there is a launch there as well. That hill is steep and I have not tried to back my boat down it as its also a rather long way. If you are using a 14ft, again should have zero issues with that launch.
Good luck!!!