Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-07-2013, 09:32 PM

Default Lets here it for the Archery Guy at WSS Edmonton North

I'm days away from my first bear hunt and so I took my son out with me this evening to do some target practice with the broadheads. Last November I bought some arrows from WSS and they cut them to length and glued in the inserts. When I was in there this afternoon picking up broadheads I asked what they recommended to shoot at and the guy suggested round hay bales.

I found a place to shoot and took my first three shots. Not bad. Went up to pull them out and 2 out of the 3 came out sans broadhead and insert.. Needless to say, not happy. I'm struggling to afford all the gear and then 66.6% of a $50 set of broadheads only survive one shot and then poof, they're gone... I did some shooting with field points in my other 4 arrows, at least until the peep sight came out of the string...

So for a while longer I watched the kid perform his Robin Hood routine where he consistently drilled his target points into the bale a lot tighter than mine have ever been, but hey, the kids a natural...good on him.

On the way home we dropped by WSS. I fully expected them to empathize with my crappy luck and then try to sell me new inserts and broadheads but arrows are a flying projectile and stuff happens. I was shocked when the guy put my peep sight back in better than it was before, glued new inserts in for me and wrote off a package of broadheads while wishing me good luck on my hunt.

I've never had a single good experience in the firearms department, but tonight the archery guy made a very happy Wholesale Sports customer out of me. Didn't catch his name, but very thankful for the excellent service.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:50 PM

Default Broad heads

Did you get the broad heads out of the bale? I know it wouldn't be easy but a cow eating a broad head will most likely be fatal.....
Old 05-07-2013, 11:31 PM

Did you even have a glimmer of the consequences of shooting a broadhead into a hay bale would be?
Old 05-07-2013, 11:50 PM

Did he have a beard or goate cause it was probably Blake, he is a solid guy. He set up the youth group I help out with Archery equipment. He's knowledgable and he'll help you out if you need it. I find he will actually put the customer first which is rare with some of the staff at WSS or Cabelas. That being said I still shop else where for most things, but for some reason I can only find the 100 packs of blazer vanes at WSS.

Stik'em
Old 05-08-2013, 06:52 AM

spent quite a while digging for them but didn't have anything other than my hands and a small knife and those things are wound super tight. I'm going back this evening with a selection of tools to continue. Couldn't care less about whether I can use them again or not but I'm very aware of what two broadheads in a cow's digestive tract would do.

As far as whether I'm a complete moron or not... This is my first season of Archery so I rely heavily on what other people suggest. I asked at the Archery desk what they suggested using as a target because to me, a broadhead could easily get stuck in anything you shoot it at. When he suggested a bale of hay, I was a little apprehensive, but assumed that if other's had done it before and it worked OK, then it would probably go better than I figured it might. So did I have a glimmer of what would happen? Yes I did, but was assured that it wouldn't. Next time I'll go with my gut.

However, if you notice, this thread was actually to give some props to a fella who did a heck of a job of customer service. I'll start a point and laugh at the newbie thread later
Old 05-08-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stik'em View Post
Did he have a beard or goate cause it was probably Blake, he is a solid guy. He set up the youth group I help out with Archery equipment. He's knowledgable and he'll help you out if you need it. I find he will actually put the customer first which is rare with some of the staff at WSS or Cabelas.

Stik'em
X2

Blake is a good guy who knows his stuff....always willing to help whether you bring him a new or old bow or one that was bought elsewhere.

LC
Old 05-08-2013, 08:12 AM

Cant believe you would be happy after your broadheads fell off just the word of wss north archery department is a joke poor service
Old 05-08-2013, 08:49 AM

I don't understand. ...you've never had a good experience at the gun counter , so you tried your luck at the archery counter, in the same store....lol.... ok , people are strange...
Old 05-08-2013, 09:24 AM

Hang on here....

WSS archery guy fixes the problem and gives the customer a free pack of broadheads... after customer followed advice.

I think this deserves a kudo not a beatdown of WSS. I wish the OP would have mybe left the stores anme out until many posts later and I beat this thread would have went in a whol;e different direction.

Pretty good customer service methinks!.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
Hang on here....

WSS archery guy fixes the problem and gives the customer a free pack of broadheads... after customer followed advice.

I think this deserves a kudo not a beatdown of WSS. I wish the OP would have mybe left the stores anme out until many posts later and I beat this thread would have went in a whol;e different direction.

X2!
Old 05-08-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
Hang on here....

X3

With the new cabelas going up... i hope wss doesnt pack it in... i like all our outdoor stores. But i go in knowing what I want.. and only ask for help if i need to see something behind glass, on a rack behind a counter.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:54 AM

What is the matter with some of you schmucks? Since I was the customer, I am the one who gets to decide if I was satisfied with the service I recieved. Maybe i am strange, but I believe that if you do business with someone and it goes poorly you give them a chance to make it right. If they do, then pass on the positive because when all was said and done they made it right. What I don't understand are people who either refuse to allow it to be made right or are too cool to shop at a "big box store"like WSS because that's where all the wanna be's shop and of course none of their staff would ever know as much as you in your exalted opinion. This forum is amazing...some days it's really hard to anticipate which direction the negative DB's will come from, but one thing is sure, regardless of what you post, they will be coming.

My mom always told me if you have nothing good to say then zip it... Thanks so much to all of you who send constructive PM's offering excellent archery advice. You know who you are, and is people like you who make it worth putting up with the schmucks
Old 05-08-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinboldt View Post
What is the matter with some of you schmucks? Since I was the customer, I am the one who gets to decide if I was satisfied with the service I recieved. Maybe i am strange, but I believe that if you do business with someone and it goes poorly you give them a chance to make it right. If they do, then pass on the positive because when all was said and done they made it right. What I don't understand are people who either refuse to allow it to be made right or are too cool to shop at a "big box store"like WSS because that's where all the wanna be's shop and of course none of their staff would ever know as much as you in your exalted opinion. This forum is amazing...some days it's really hard to anticipate which direction the negative DB's will come from, but one thing is sure, regardless of what you post, they will be coming.

My mom always told me if you have nothing good to say then zip it... Thanks so much to all of you who send constructive PM's offering excellent archery advice. You know who you are, and is people like you who make it worth putting up with the schmucks
Its not the forum itself.. its a few random specifics.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:19 PM

Blaming the forum for bad posts is like blaming the range for bad shots...
Old 05-08-2013, 01:22 PM

Wishin ya the best on the bears...many learned to shoot..on bales ..your doing the right thing by retriving the head...lesson lerned and done...

shoot straight
Neil
Old 05-08-2013, 02:37 PM

Archery is a sport were you are always learning, learn from your mistakes and move on it makes you a better bow hunter and archer.
The big stores like WSS are not good to deal with when it comes to archery< you may find 1 out 10 guys know what they are talking about,
your lucky he was good with you.
I have never had luck there , I cant even stand listening to them talk to customers feeding them loads of crap about products,.
I would say to you! buy bits and pieces at a time and it wont be long until you have the knowledge and tools to work on your own equipment.
once you learn, and go back to a store like that you will know what Im talking about.
they read a product pam. and there instantly an expert.
if you dont have time to do it your self go to a PROSHOP,, they are experts in archery..

sorry for the rant. I feel better now
Old 05-08-2013, 04:58 PM

x4(i think?) ha
blake is a good guy, did me a favour a few weeks ago at no personal gain.

Schian
Old 05-08-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinboldt View Post
I'm days away from my first bear hunt and so I took my son out with me this evening to do some target practice with the broadheads. Last November I bought some arrows from WSS and they cut them to length and glued in the inserts. When I was in there this afternoon picking up broadheads I asked what they recommended to shoot at and the guy suggested round hay bales.

I found a place to shoot and took my first three shots. Not bad. Went up to pull them out and 2 out of the 3 came out sans broadhead and insert.. Needless to say, not happy. I'm struggling to afford all the gear and then 66.6% of a $50 set of broadheads only survive one shot and then poof, they're gone... I did some shooting with field points in my other 4 arrows, at least until the peep sight came out of the string...

So for a while longer I watched the kid perform his Robin Hood routine where he consistently drilled his target points into the bale a lot tighter than mine have ever been, but hey, the kids a natural...good on him.

On the way home we dropped by WSS. I fully expected them to empathize with my crappy luck and then try to sell me new inserts and broadheads but arrows are a flying projectile and stuff happens. I was shocked when the guy put my peep sight back in better than it was before, glued new inserts in for me and wrote off a package of broadheads while wishing me good luck on my hunt.

I've never had a single good experience in the firearms department, but tonight the archery guy made a very happy Wholesale Sports customer out of me. Didn't catch his name, but very thankful for the excellent service.
awesome.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:22 PM

Wow yes it's Blake here ,first of all I would never tell some one to shoot broadheads in to hay bails, I take a lot of pride working on bows yes we are a box store but for some reason I get 10 bows a week from the pro shops and other stores to work on!!!! And the work I see done I would never let it go out of my hands, I enjoy working at wholesale sports I've been there now 15 + years
I do give credit to all the people that work in box stores and pro shops people have to start some where ,not all people can come into a store and start working and know every thing it takes years and a person that wants to learn not all people work in this industrie for the outdoors but I know I do !!!!!!

Last edited by montec; 05-08-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:04 AM

Allow me to clarify... when I said, "this forum is amazing...", I was not saying there is a problem with the forum itself. I said it in the same way that I might say "this place is amazing..." while sitting in the stands at a Vancouver Canuck's game while I listen to all the entitled, self important weenies in the seats whine about why they aren't going to take home the Stanley Cup...Ever. I'm not saying there's a problem with the architecture of the arena, I'm referring to some of the people inside it.... And don't misquote me, I'm not calling anybody who previously posted in this thread an entitled, self important weenie...that title is reserved for Canuck fans.

At any rate, the forum is not the problem. Human nature is such that whenever you provide a place for people to express their opinions, especially online so its somewhat annonymous, all the different personality types are very pronounced. The AO forum isn't at fault, its the guys who can never just let you have your moment without informing you that you're a retard for thinking it was a worthwhile moment in the first place....

IMHO
Old 05-09-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montec View Post
Wow yes it's Blake here ,first of all I would never tell some one to shoot broadheads in to hay bails, I take a lot of pride working on bows yes we are a box store but for some reason I get 10 bows a week from the pro shops and other stores to work on!!!! And the work I see done I would never let it go out of my hands, I enjoy working at wholesale sports I've been there now 15 + years
I do give credit to all the people that work in box stores and pro shops people have to start some where ,not all people can come into a store and start working and know every thing it takes years and a person that wants to learn not all people work in this industrie for the outdoors but I know I do !!!!!!
Ya Montec ...I still owe you another thanks for informing me and helping me pick out my snow shoes and accessories for practically half price. I got alot of use out of them . Cant believe I didnt own any before.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:56 AM

That's awesome how he helped you out. Most places I'm sure would tell you tough luck because of how hard a broadhead is to pull out of a hay bale. It's not the name or size of the store that makes it good, it is the guy behind the counter that makes it the place to shop and give business to.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBFK View Post
That's awesome how he helped you out. Most places I'm sure would tell you tough luck because of how hard a broadhead is to pull out of a hay bale. It's not the name or size of the store that makes it good, it is the guy behind the counter that makes it the place to shop and give business to.
X2! Props to Montec for helping a guy out.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:03 PM

Default anothe bow newb

I am also very new to the sport of bow hunting and can get totally intimidated and feel really stupid asking some questions at the range/pro-shop! The big box stores, both WSS and Cabelas, have helped my son and me out immensely as we learn. They are a great place to get information and advice.
As for the bales, I grew up on the farm, I have already shot a ton of arrows into a hay bale (go tear that bale apart for the broad heads buddy, the farmer will be way happier you do that than leave them) and they are great, the issue here was the inserts! As for the guy that sold you that bow with the bad peep sight…. You should make him buy you beer!
Montec…. Hard as it is, never think you have to defend yourself on these posts, the guys you think you have to rebut…. Likely can’t read it anyway, or are not worth it. Thanks to you and all your compatriots in the stores who help us “morons” out!
So those of you, who are going to get on me about his post, please re-read the above paragraph! ;-P

SUCCESS: If at first you don't succeed, redefine success and celebrate your victory!
Old 05-15-2013, 12:14 PM

Blake has gave me nothing short of stand up service. He brings a little small shop to a big store.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
X2! Props to Montec for helping a guy out.
X3 I was just there yest after I got a string made elsewhere and it was basically falling apart. Blake fixed it up for me and gave me some good pointers. Thanks again Blake.

When I was In the store they had all kinds of stock. I drove by one archery shop to get there and I will be doing so everytime now thanks to Blake and his service.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:55 PM

Couldn't have said it better Rigby, Blake is a very good bow tech and he is the only one that will work on my bows.... very stand up guy...
Keep it up.....