Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-18-2013, 12:49 PM

Default New Fly Fisher

Looking to see what spots on the Bow are the most active or without anyone giving up there secret spots what spots are the easiest to maybe fish? Been out twice and been skunked twice, not that this is bad because I did read somewhere that "You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that's kind of the same thing"....Very much enjoying Fly fishing so far would just be nice to pull my first one in. Any advice is welcome.

I have been Nymphing using San Jan with a trailing leech pattern...9' leader with indicator.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:36 PM

Are you mending your line, and is it getting hooked up on the bottom on a regular basis? That was the key for me when I learned how to fish the Bow.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:44 PM

Rod tip up...line as tight and straight as possible. Indicator does go under and I set every time as I was told just in case it is a strike. I know and have read that all of the Bow river is good for fishing, just was hoping someone would say that a certain area is better and easier to fish for beginners. Still just enjoy getting out there...

Cheers
Old 04-18-2013, 01:48 PM

go father south like towards policemans
Old 04-18-2013, 01:53 PM

Fish Creek Park is a good place to start too.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:49 PM

You will be skunked your first 3-5 times. While I am sure that they exist, I have not heard of a single person catching fish their first time out fly fishing on the Bow.

I was skunked my first 3 times.

There are places to catch fish from Harvie Passage onward. In 3 hours of fishing, to maximize your catches, you should probably cover 500m of water.

As well, SJW and leech are good go-to, but I would probably use a size 16-18 mayfly or hare's ear dropper.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:00 PM

There is a mapbook available specifically for the Calgary and below sections of the Bow (I have mentioned quite a while ago when it first came out - though can't find the post). It gives all the access points and descriptors, hatch charts, flow charts, etc. It's available at most shops, but I know for a fact Fishtales has it, as does BowRiverTroutfitters... Check it out, it's $15 well spent!
Old 04-18-2013, 03:07 PM

Bow is a tough fishery for most fly anglers let alone newbies,,,, if you want shorten the learning curve hiring a guide for a day is money well spent. Fishtales can set you up with a good guide if you need help finding a guide.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:22 PM

Try using a 9 foot leader with two feet of Tippit. tie on your San Juan worm then a 12 inch dropper right on the bend of the hook with a #18 hares ear nymph. As for weight I use two ab shot about 6 inches above worm. Put your strike indicator right up by the fly line. I try to mend fly line up stream right away to avoid it dragging nymphs up. I had lots of trouble with the bow Untill I started using this set up. I've only been skunked once in the last four years on it.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:59 PM

Awesome....thank you to all for all the great suggestions. I dropped into Policemans Flats and it looks like an absolute awesome place to kill many hours.

Cheers and thanks again to all
Old 04-18-2013, 06:53 PM

Here is a thread about spots on the bow, might be helpfull.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=167638
Old 04-18-2013, 08:38 PM

Thanks Burns....very helpful