Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-15-2013, 12:24 PM
Banned

Angry 2013 Regs

Any one read p4 top paragraph in General? "Until this occurs,anglers are asked to voluntarily comply with the spirit and intent of the barbless-only regulation and refrain from the use of barbed hooks." Key word being "voluntarily", looks like we'll be seeing a few more dead fish this year.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:30 PM

Poor fish handling has way more impact then barbs ever will. A better reg would be outlawing multiple trebles like they have in BC, IMHO.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:49 PM
Banned

Ya they should outlaw trebles as well, seen guys damn near gut fish tryin to get
them hooks out, even with the barbs pinched!
Old 04-15-2013, 01:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
Poor fish handling has way more impact then barbs ever will. A better reg would be outlawing multiple trebles like they have in BC, IMHO.
Whew!!!!

I thought I was the only one who realized the implications of poor handling.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Whew!!!!

I thought I was the only one who realized the implications of poor handling.
No kidding, that's the biggest fish-killer if you ask me.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Barbless generally means less handling time getting the hook of out me, my fishing partner,,, or the fish as the case may be which usually translates to a better survival rate of all concerned.

Now if we talk "mortality" from the act of hooking itself, single barbless will generally penetrate further than a barbed single and significantly more than treble barbed / barbless hook. Replacing trebles with single barbless on a lure while decreasing handling mortality may actually increase hooking mortality.

The debate really then becomes which is more significant,,, hooking or handling mortality?
Old 04-15-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
X2 I went to single treble on all my pike plugs, didn't really notice a difference in hook ups. I did watch a smallish pike hit a 7" plug once, he zoned right in on the treble hanging from the middle of the plug an actually grab just the treble.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-19-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I believe barbless hooks however, may result in less incidents of poor fish handling than barbed.

I do agree on your statement in reducing the amounts of trebles. I've found in the process of removing hooks, the fish can easily get itself hooked into another treble, extending the time out of water... which in the end, increases mortality possibilities