Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-13-2013, 05:59 PM

Default Old fly rods from my grandpa

Just thought I would share some pictures of some old fly rods I inherited from my grandpa. Not looking to sell these. If you have any information about these old rods I would love to hear about it.

First rod is a Major Rod. Made in Canada. Model H-85 I believe.3 piece. Its about 8`6``. There is very very little information on the internet about this rod except for it was possibly from the 1940`s.

Second rod is a Gold Tiger. 8` long. No model number. I found on the internet they were made in Japan from about 1948 to 1962 and many were sold to Canadian and US soldiers to help stimulate Japan`s economy after world war 2. I also read that they were really cheap junk rods. It also has a reel with no name or numbers on it so Im assuming its came with it. Its a 3 piece rod as well but it has 2 different tip sections. One of them is stiff and the other is pretty flexible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg major rod.jpg (68.0 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg major rod 2.jpg (73.4 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg major rod 3.jpg (46.4 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg gold tiger.jpg (49.6 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg gold tiger 2.jpg (46.3 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg gold tiger 3.jpg (34.9 KB, 65 views)
Old 04-13-2013, 06:47 PM

Just my 2 cents, the Major rod was probably be rated a 7 weight, more of a Bass fly rod. They called them Magna Power rods. I would guess 1961 or 1963, Either by Hi or Sila-Flex making the blanks (Sila-Flex was bought out by Browning). These earlier models where nicer than the later as they paid more attention to the fittings. There was also a Major Green rod in 8-9. This may have been mad "for" the Canadian market instead of in Canada. Can't comment on the Japanese rod, too many vague brands over there.

Nice that you have these rods from you grandpa, hang them in a place of honor.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 04-13-2013, 07:35 PM

Thanks for a bit of info. The major rod also says "hi-fi" on it. They're definetely not going anywhere. Nice old rods to put on my wall