Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-08-2013, 07:25 AM

Default Fly fishing Grande Prairie area...

Well being still new to fly fishing and quite new to the gp area, I'm wondering if somebody can help me out filling my days off with some spots to try my 'skills', (using that term VERY loosely), and catch some fish. Don't mind driving or hiking also have a 4x4, yet no quad.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-08-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttCan View Post
Well being still new to fly fishing and quite new to the gp area, I'm wondering if somebody can help me out filling my days off with some spots to try my 'skills', (using that term VERY loosely), and catch some fish. Don't mind driving or hiking also have a 4x4, yet no quad.

Thanks in advance!
Best advice I can give you is pick yourself up a copy of Barry Mitchell's Alberta Fishing Guide. It has detailed descriptions on locations, how to get there, and species present. You'll find it at Can Tire, Wholesale Sports, most gas stations and the odd grocery store.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:41 PM

head south toward grande cache lot of good rivers south of ya on hwy 40
Old 04-08-2013, 11:38 PM

Go to the Torrens and try for some cutties, they are pretty cooperative trout.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:49 PM

You can try some of the stocked lakes in the area. Swan Lake is popular It is aerated so there should be some open water you can chuck a fly into. Careful of the ice conditions this time of year though. Until June, you are pretty much stuck waiting if you want to fish the rivers.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
I remeber the Torrens.

That was a helicopter stocking.

And a successful one too.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
I think i have been there twice in my eaely 20s... if i remember correctly.. that road in is pretty brutal. Lol
Old 04-10-2013, 01:25 PM

Even more hard to access... Hmm... Seems like the pressure might be pretty light
Old 04-10-2013, 01:28 PM

road into two lakes is alot better, as i was in it a few years ago after quite a few years and only a pothole every 25 feet now.........lol
Old 04-10-2013, 08:05 PM

Not much for size of fish in the Torrens, that being said I have only fished it twice.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:39 PM

Look at google maps mark water bodys you think might hold fish ask around to anglers In the area and voila

"Theirs a fine Line between fishing and standing on the shore like a dummy" - steven
Old 04-11-2013, 09:40 AM

Default Your best bet bar none.

Get ahold of the Peace country fly fishers association . There will be posters up at Bartons, amnd wholesale sports . they are absolutly the best resource when it come to fishing with a fly rod around Grande Prairie. For the price of the membership you get a wealth of intimate knowledge of the area , a discount of I think 15% at wholesale sports and a group of people to fish with of all kinds of ages and disposition of both sexes.

Meeting Muskoseepi Park Pavillion‏

Ian Campbell (icsign03@telus.net)

08/04/2013

Photos

To: Ian Campbell

April 11, 2013

Meeting Muskoseepi Park Pavillion @ 7 PM

Our new president Jim Epp will be hosting the next meeting about Leaders and Knots.

This is the meeting where you can find out how to set up your stuff, and check out the set up that the other fishers use.

If you have a special piece of fishing gear, knot or system for setting up your gear, please feel free to share with the club.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The weekend Sports Expo went off smoothly - Good Job and thank you to the members who were involved.

Welcome to all the new members Julie Cummings, Curtis McPherson, Thomas Martin, Nick Sturko, Jeff Maltais, Tyler Racansky, and Gordon Provencher. Do make yourselves at home at the club.

Now is the time when you can sign up for the 3 club fishing trips (2 Lakes, Swan, and Sulphur Lake) and make arrangements to join club members when they go fishing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Event calendar

April 11 Knots and Leaders Jim Epp

April 14 @ 1-4 pm. ** Get Outdoors Alberta Event

April 18 What is new @ Fish and Wildlife Craig Johnson SRD

April 25 Outdoor Casting clinic

May 11 Swan Lake Cleanup

May 31- June 2 Two Lakes (Kakwa Provincial Park) trip

June 7 - 9 Figure 8/Sulphur Lake weekend

July 12-14 Kakwa River float

** President Jim say ;-

"We have an event this following Saturday, April 14 from 1-4 pm. We will be part of the Get Outdoors Alberta Event run by the Be Fit for Life folks, sort of a multi-activity participation event.

Good opportunity for club exposure. We have been asked to set up a How to Fly Cast station. We will need a couple of volunteers to attend. I will explain at the Thurs. Meeting.

We need to get the date for the East Dollar lake deal yet. I have sent an email to Dave Jackson & see if anything is scheduled yet.

I'd also like to get at least 1 official club deal in both August & Sept. Any ideas?"
--

Ian Campbell 780-532-7381 (Cell)

11118 93 A St

Grande Prairie, Alberta,

Canada. T8V 1Y7
Old 04-13-2013, 02:18 AM

I lived in Gp for 14 months and tried to fish as often as I could. Swan Lake was a favorite for the float tube but there are big trout in moonshine lake as well. I tried the simonette with no success, but only once. My best river experience was the Kakwa. I caught Grayling, but was told that it is also a great bull trout fishery. Tons of bear sign at the Kakwa so take precautions. Good Luck.

Depending on your rig, Snipe Lake could produce some excellent streamer fishing for pike in the perimeter reeds. Sturgeon lake also has some really nice pike.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:01 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Drsuzuki;1925733]Get ahold of the Peace country fly fishers association . There will be posters up at Bartons, amnd wholesale sports . they are absolutly the best resource when it come to fishing with a fly rod around Grande Prairie. For the price of the membership you get a wealth of intimate knowledge of the area , a discount of I think 15% at wholesale sports and a group of people to fish with of all kinds of ages and disposition of both sexes.

Meeting Muskoseepi Park Pavillion‏

You guys need a little website.

No. I do not sell or make them.

Where is Craig Johnson working out of these days?