Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-06-2013, 10:32 AM

Default Float tubes

I'm looking at float tubes and was wondering what's the best to get I'm only about 150 lbs

"Theirs a fine Line between fishing and standing on the shore like a dummy" - steven
Old 04-06-2013, 10:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikecrazed View Post
I'm looking at float tubes and was wondering what's the best to get I'm only about 150 lbs
I don't know if it's "the best" or not,but seeing as you're in SW CGY.....I was quite impressed with an Outcast floattube/u-boat model that I seen at WSS a cpl weeks ago on clearance sale,reg. $400ish(?) on sale for <$200 iirc??I was pretty tempted myself,but already have an old donut tube that I rarely ever use..
Old 04-06-2013, 02:12 PM

Fish Cat 4
Old 04-06-2013, 07:59 PM

I would stress to steer clear of a float tube if you plan on going on the bow. There are many shallow spots where my potoon skids over, would probably suck on a pontoon, and if it ever flipped you would be screwed
Old 04-06-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyber View Post
I would stress to steer clear of a float tube if you plan on going on the bow. There are many shallow spots where my potoon skids over, would probably suck on a pontoon, and if it ever flipped you would be screwed
Thanks for the heads up but I tend to be on small mountain lakes and or would be very carful on rivers I would use it on

"Theirs a fine Line between fishing and standing on the shore like a dummy" - steven
Old 04-06-2013, 09:01 PM

have you ever used one i was thinkin on getting one . are they the tubes you use flippers for ? i just wanna know how fun and affective they are any feedback on this would be awesome thx in advance
Old 04-06-2013, 09:32 PM
Banned

Chris, A float tube like a U boat style is the best for small still waters in my opinion, the advantages are (1) they are much lighter than pontoon boats and easily carried to your fav lake, (2)very easy to operate with waders and flippers, (3)not affected by breezes.
Disadvantages: (1) You cant go very far or fast in them. (2)They are not to be used on flowing rivers very dangerous if your feet get caught on a submerged object, you can be easily capsize and drown! (3)Just after ice out, the water temperature will be cold enough to ensure that your float is very short. many layers of underwear pants what have you and breathable or neoprene waders are the answer here.
Pontoon boats.. disadvantages, (1)harder to transport to your lake, much heavier than a float tube. (2)More susceptible to wind drifting, pack an anchor with you.
Advantages... (1)can be used on either lakes or rivers, you are higher out of the water hence this gives you better vision. (2)you are warmer as you are out of the icy water, (3)Using oars or an electric motor gives you much more mobility than a float tube in the water. you can still use flippers for hands free operation... I own both a fishcat 7 pontoon boat and a fishcat 4 U boat. I use both extensively during the spring to fall season.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:49 AM

wow great response thx .im so frign excited i want both too lol
Old 04-07-2013, 06:59 AM

I have a Cumberland Uboat float tube, works great but there are some times you need a pontoon boat! I have been looking for a option that will do both! I am going to buy a "watermaster by big sky inflatables". They are a pontoon boat with float tube qualities. Check them out they have a good website with videos.
My other criteria was it has to be easily pack able this one is!!! I showed my dad and his fishing buddies and they have bought 3 already. They have used them on the Bow and on numerous lakes. Dad said best way to purchase one is to go directly to the factory in Montana as they give you a deal dropping in!

The real kicker for me is it is cheaper than buying a good pontoon and a float tube. I think I am going to buy one for this summer.

http://www.bigskyinflatables.com/#2903
Old 04-07-2013, 08:34 AM

The "Water Skeeter Daytripper" awesome!!!!!
Old 04-07-2013, 09:36 AM

Here's a couple pages that might help you out.

Float Tubes: The good, bad & ugly

Float Tubing

Cheers,
Doc
Old 04-07-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medhatken View Post
The "Water Skeeter Daytripper" awesome!!!!!
X2

Pike 25
Walleye 5
Lake Whitefish 6
Suckers 1
Lake Trout 22
Tiger Trout 5
Rainbow Trout 26

20 days fished
18 days fished from my Hobie
Old 04-07-2013, 07:43 PM

The day tripper is a nice design but the build quality SUCKS. The upper u-portion of the tube WILL split eventually due to a bad seam weld and may leave you stranded in the middle of a lake holding on trying to get to shore.....If you have one buy a replacement bladder from creek company for their original U-boat, same size just has the valve on the other side (much better construction). Oh and for a good float tube I would go with a Superfat Cat from outcast not the fish cat...Bomb proof and has urethane bladders...
Old 04-13-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
Fish Cat 4
X2

Love mine.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:36 PM

Default get good chestwaders

I have used a float tube for 10 years in BC lakes around Kamloops and Revelstoke. Make sure you get nice thick neoprene waders if you plan on any early season fishing when the water is cold. Minimum 5 mil thick.

I love my float tube. Gets me in an out of those small lakes so quick and with good scuba quality flippers can get around fast.

Piece of advice, keep some rope with you and an extra flipper back strap. I had one break on me after several years while in the middle of the lake and almost lost the flipper right off my foot ! I used some paracord I had to tie it back onto my foot so I could make it back to shore. Trip over, I didnt have a spare with me