Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-05-2013, 09:17 PM

Arrow Fly fishing 2013

Who is going where doing what this year as to fly fishing, streams, rivers, lakes, creeks etc... anyone have any trips already in the works, i know i am off to Vancouver Island with a friend i grew up with a well known guide now, hopefully get into some steel, browns, sea run cutthroat, big lake cutthroat, small mouth bass and some salmon of course, cannot wait to get the fly rod out in a few months and wet a line.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:38 AM

This will be my first year with a actual flyrod. Anywhere with water will be good,just want to get out there,cant wait.
Ive used flies on my spin rod alot and my Tenkara rod so got the fly thing down sorta.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:17 AM

I hope to finally bump in to you up and down the banks of the NSR, I don't mind the local trout ponds (I'm not that above it) but i also leave some time for Pincher Creel area, Canmore (family vacation) which also dips into BC Radium area. sorry for this ice fishers - but come on spring.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren N View Post
I hope to finally bump in to you up and down the banks of the NSR, I don't mind the local trout ponds (I'm not that above it) but i also leave some time for Pincher Creel area, Canmore (family vacation) which also dips into BC Radium area. sorry for this ice fishers - but come on spring.
How's the fishing around Radium?My sister/BnL have a place near there(Wilmer)....it looks nice but I haven't wet a line there yet?

As for the OP Q,I'll be going to NB for Atlantic salmon in July and hope to squeeze in a few days in Aug on the west coast somewhere for salmon and steel?(Skeena R.??)
Old 01-06-2013, 10:09 AM

Heading to Mexico (Pacific side) to fish and surf. It will be our first time salt water fly fishing! Both my wife and I are SUPER excited!!
Old 01-06-2013, 10:47 AM

Got 10 alpine lakes planned, as well as hopefully some tiny creeks

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 01-06-2013, 10:51 AM
Banned

Trout Alley on Babine.

The Morice, Bulkley..and other Skeena sources.

I have never given the Nechako a good fish. Maybe it is time.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
How's the fishing around Radium?My sister/BnL have a place near there(Wilmer)....it looks nice but I haven't wet a line there yet?

As for the OP Q,I'll be going to NB for Atlantic salmon in July and hope to squeeze in a few days in Aug on the west coast somewhere for salmon and steel?(Skeena R.??)
I fished in Invermere which is just a couple miles past Radium (on the bottom of the mountain going up to Panorama). A bit on the lake itself and the River that just flows out (I think it's Columbian river?) Everything off shore. I had no idea what was in there and I casted out a few muddler minnows, buggers... and the squaw fish were many. I didn't even know what type of fish it was until i talked to a local.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:26 PM

Smile

This year should prove to be an interesting one for me. I have blown out one knee so I am limited to what I can do. But having said that I am going to probably fish more this year than last. I will start out the year with a trip down to BC. Fish some of the rivers for some winter steelhead. I will be sure to wear a life jacket from now on. I don't want to have my knee explode with pain again. Expecially when I am on a river. It could be game over.

I will also be heading out to the lakes in SA to fly fish for pike. I have a few friends that I will be taking out for their first shot at pike on the fly. They have no idea what they are going to be up for.

This spring I will be having my team in the Loch Style flyfishing tournament in Logan Lake BC. Team Tight Lines will be at it again. Then Team Tight Lines will also be competing in the Canadian Fly Fishing Championships in September. This year will be very exciting as they are being held in Calgary.

Add to that at least another half dozen trips to BC and a bunch of weekend trips this summer around Alberta and it is shaping up to be a very exciting summer.

I agree with you Darren. I don't mind ice fishing. But I can't wait each spring for the ice to come off.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:43 PM

I hope to start with a trip to the west kootenays at ice off in early April. Start off in the Columbia river near Trail for pre-spawn rainbows, and then up to the Arrow Lakes for shallow water bullies, then end up at Nakusp for ice-out rainbows.
Next is b.c. Turkey hunting season until mid May.

Then, Back in Canmore in May for some spawning grayling action at Quarry Lk, and then I want to try (again) for my first spring pike on a fly.

I love retirement
Old 01-06-2013, 05:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
I hope to start with a trip to the west kootenays at ice off in early April. Start off in the Columbia river near Trail for pre-spawn rainbows, and then up to the Arrow Lakes for shallow water bullies, then end up at Nakusp for ice-out rainbows.
Next is b.c. Turkey hunting season until mid May.

Then, Back in Canmore in May for some spawning grayling action at Quarry Lk, and then I want to try (again) for my first spring pike on a fly.

I love retirement
Do you take the Hobie kayaks with you?

My second mother lives at Grey Creek.

Most of her pet wild turkeys disappear around Thanksgiving.

Is it worth taking a Hobie kayak into that area?
Old 01-06-2013, 06:20 PM

Started a new job...so I hope it doesn't affect my plan to flyfish in Los Roques, Venezuela.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:11 PM

Shooting a Film for the fly fishing film festival is among my top priorities. Floating a couple rivers in the Eastern Slopes with the toon to film some shorts. Going to try and get 30 days on my new boat. Take the drift boat down the bow a few times, check out some beaver ponds, and some remote creeks and lakes. Heading to the van isle to hit some of the old favorites. Thats just for starters.

The way my work situation is this summer, i'll be working 3 hard days, off for 5, so i will have PLENTY of time to chase fish.

CMON OPEN WATER.

Last edited by Bhflyfisher; 01-06-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:21 PM
Banned

I'll be exploring more of the mtn streams that AB has to offer.
Being from BC....I'll head back for some good ole Coho/Steelhead hook ups in the Skeena area nxt Summer. I will be fly fishing as well as drift fishing.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Trout Alley on Babine.

The Morice, Bulkley..and other Skeena sources.

I have never given the Nechako a good fish. Maybe it is time.
Some holy water, very envious.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:36 PM

I will be staying relatively local, looking for the elusive 40" bull that I know rules these rivers. Possibly off into the middle of the bush to hit a river and lake that potentially only see one or two anglers/year. Maybe finish off with a trip to the Cariboo region.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:19 AM

The next year or two are going to be amazing!! Although I now live in the driest state of the driest continent on earth, there is some great trout fishing to be had! And being in south Australia I am in very close proximity to some of the world's greatest flyfishing waters! My list for 2013 and 2014 in no particular order
Tasmania
New Zealand
Exmouth for GT and bones, and others
East coast for mako sharks and sails
Victorian high country and new south whales
Christmas island
Taz will most likely be my first trip.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:24 AM

I'll be headed east for Tigers again, going to drift the waterton and columbia and then it's back to the Bow, there's some browns that need catching
Old 01-07-2013, 11:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUK SOO KOW View Post
The next year or two are going to be amazing!! Although I now live in the driest state of the driest continent on earth, there is some great trout fishing to be had! And being in south Australia I am in very close proximity to some of the world's greatest flyfishing waters! My list for 2013 and 2014 in no particular order
Tasmania
New Zealand
Exmouth for GT and bones, and others
East coast for mako sharks and sails
Victorian high country and new south whales
Christmas island
Taz will most likely be my first trip.
Makos are absolutely incredible fighters and dangerous to even bring alongside of boat....wayyyy up there on my bucket list....sure wish I'd taken advantage when I lived on the east coast.Don't know if there's alot in Bay of Fundy,but we did catch the odd one in gillnets?There's some awesome videos out there on utube etc....picture a 1000lb salmon that leaps 25ft in the air....that's mako fishn!!!
Old 01-07-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
I'll be headed east for Tigers again, going to drift the waterton and columbia and then it's back to the Bow, there's some browns that need catching
twin had pretty bad summerkill jay, its wasnt complete, but it did put a significant dent in the population. If thats where you're headed
Old 01-07-2013, 12:38 PM
Banned

Location: FTR Road in the summer (flyfishin), The bush in autum (huntin) the hills in winter (shreddin the pow

Want to head back to the Hummingbird and explore more around there....found some glorious places and hidden gems in there...will be going back hopefully. Also will hit up Elk Creek and would like to try The Creek From Hell as well.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
twin had pretty bad summerkill jay, its wasnt complete, but it did put a significant dent in the population. If thats where you're headed
I fished twin in the spring it was pretty awesome. I heard about the summer kill.... but no that's not where I'm headed
Old 01-07-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
I am game for floating the Waterton if you need someone to join you.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:28 PM

Finially got all new equipment for filming and also a camera guy so were going to Get out and explore some spots south with large "migratory" browns, got a few hike in potholes with big brookies lined up, a long hike up the cliffs for a golden trout, i also got a few spots worth checking out but I'll find out in spring if the conditions permit. Also have some plans to hit some local rivers with the pontoons including the clearwater, this year is going to be a good one with a great headstart so far. one thing I'm doing differently this year then last year is cutting out places with small fish including smaller creeks and rivers with high preasure.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:05 PM

Hoping to film a submission for the IFF with one of my buddies. That will definately be the focus of my summer fishing. I'd like to go check out some untouched trunk-road gems and try to find a hole worthy of my film. Hike in trip for Golden Trout is definately on the list. Do a little exploring north of Willmore for some bullies and grayling. Pike and Goldeye on the fly in the NSR definately ranks pretty high.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:29 PM

Filming fly fishing media all over Alberta is the main goal, and the fish definitely come with it. Solid plans on a few NSR float trips. As well as getting up either far north to hay river or north east to Lac La Ronge for some beasts living in the depths. Hitting up the Cowi on Van Isle in the beginning of Feb for some steel on the spey if I'm lucky, and smallies from shawnigan lake. In March its Bahamas for bones, permit, cuda and HOPEFULLY a lemon shark or two... Mid spring its time to hit up some eastern potholes for tigers, brookies, and bows. Plus an annual week long trip to Nordegg for the fish around there. Lots of fish, film, photos, and fun to come! Stoked.

OH! And of course Wabamun
Old 01-08-2013, 03:10 PM

I've caught Golden Trout on Barnaby Ridge, but I've never been up to Rainy Ridge yet. Hopefully I'm going to hike up there this summer and add to my total of goldens.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:04 PM

a few trips planed a few hikes in to remote lakes trips with my daughter tons of alpine lakes good times a head.
fishing near radium tons of great lakes not a short drive should get u to tons of little and large lakes take a drive out horse creek road or west side road pontoon boat a good choice rainbows, brookies great times!
Old 01-10-2013, 07:34 AM

Along with my regular river haunts I hope to hit more small waters for trout this year, Bought a boat so will explore more waters to fly fish for Lakers and rainbows. Might be a few trips to BC to some of my old home waters, the Shuswap and Okanagan.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 01-10-2013, 05:06 PM

This summer will be awesome as I get to spend the whole summer at our new fishing lodge in the NWT on a lake called Aylmer Lake and Clinton-Colden Lake.

I get to fish some water that has never seen a fisherman before, both lakes, river and creeks, I can hardly wait for spring.

So I will be fly fishing for gigantic lake trout on the lake in the shallow water and in the many rivers that come in and out of the lakes.

The arctic grayling on dry fly with a Wulff or Adams fly with a 4-5 weight rod is very high on my list this summer.

“Fly fishing locations in our area of the Northwest Territories are more remote, no crowds and offer more exotic species. Our seasons are shorter and access is limited, but the fish are huge and feisty.