Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-26-2010, 12:17 PM

Default Grazing Lease Land Summary

I thought I'd summarize what I've learned over the last few weeks regarding leased lands and my own experience so it might help others out.

There are a few different types of leased crown land out there. As hunters we're likely most interested in "recreation on agricultural public land." This brochure is about the best summation of how things are supposed to work.

Then you go here and see if there is leased land you'd like access to. Just keep zooming down until you see sections, and then click on the "info" tool at the top, click on the quarter section, the info about access will come up. First read if there are any conditions on access (usually are, reasonable), and if you need to contact someone first. Sometimes you do, sometimes you don't. Some leases have management plans or conditions, some don't. Some of the time you have to contact someone first to get access. This is where things may start to get more complicated.

When you call the contact up I'd suggest being respectful and asking for permission on specific days in certain areas. Print off the map from the lease site so you and the leaseholder can talk about features on the lease easily. You're likely talking with someone who is out there on the land, and he is responsible for it. It is public land, but he likely runs stock on all of it, and manages it, and cares a great deal about it. He may have a bad taste in his mouth from poachers, previous users, etc. I don't own or lease land and firmly believe in public access to public land, but after talking to a few of these guys I can see that they are in a difficult position trying to manage people on the leases, telling them what you're going to do on the lease just isn't going to be well received at all. And they have some power...

OK, hopefully all goes well, you get permission to go on, and treat the land well and respect the leaseholder's fences, stock, property, etc. End of story, stop reading if it all works like this for you.

In my experience the leaseholder may say something like, "I've already got two guys in there, and don't want more. Sorry." If that's in the SRD plan on the site end of story again, leaseholder's call. There is no way transparent way to verify that the leaseholder is in fact following the plan. You can call SRD at this point if you think he isn't. A lot of the time there is no access plan on the SRD site, yet the leaseholder basically says no for a reason that's not listed under the reasons a leaseholder can deny access.

Before you give up or call SRD I'd recommend talking with the leaseholder again for a bit. A couple of calls, an offer to pay a visit, just get some sort of relationship with the leaseholder and things may be OK. You shouldn't "have" to do this, but as I'm learning the people who live and work there have a history with that land that's every bit as strong or much stronger than how we feel about "our" favorite hunting spots. Makes sense, but looking at a "lease" on a computer screen is not the same as working it.

A lot of people are likely to get mad at this point and say, "Our land, expletive you." But here's the murky bit: If you do that then you're going to have to deal with SRD, and while SRD supports public access the land owner can also say to SRD, "Well, I've still got 30 cattle in there, so no." Even on huge lease, if it's not crossfenced then cattle in there at all are pretty much cause to deny access (unless moving the cattle around to prevent access, and that's not easy to prove). Or the leaseholder can say, "I've already got hunters booked on every single day, that guy can hunt the paved quarter section by the sewer plant (for example)". Now, it shouldn't work like this, but in reality in my experience it does. What's nice and neat and concise on the computer screen just isn't in real life.

This is where the whole system starts to wobble. SRD and the leaseholder may have talked and come up with a plan that just isn't on the site yet. Or the leaseholder is getting pounded by requests and his system of writing stuff down on a piece of paper in the pile by the phone is falling apart a bit because he's trying to find the missing 50 cows with most of his time, and he can just say, "Full." Leaseholders are often not spreadhsheet on their iPhone kind of people, but that's the job they're being asked to do. This is a problem. Oh, and the contact info for the site is sometimes not right, use the link below to contact SRD and get the new info.

On the web site there are some "hard" rules for how leases work. In reality there's a leaseholder, you, and the SRD, and it's all pretty human and not so clearcut as it is on paper.

If you eventually do need to talk to SRD the list of people is here. The guy I dealt with was very professional and fast in responding, and definitely helped.

A big problem is that we all use the internet and are fast on it, while SRD is trying to manage thousands of leases and leaseholders, some of which are "problem" spots in one year and then OK in the next, land managers change on the leases, etc. etc. Some of the leaseholders are internet geeks, but a whole lot aren't. It's just not a simple system to keep updated, especially for a "problem" that only crops up periodically. I don't see it really working well for either hunters or leaseholders. Long-term, if the population keeps growing as seems likely, some other system is going to have to be implemented, or the current one tightened up substantially. At present leaseholders can abuse the system with either good or bad intentions, and if protested the results may not be good for the hunter.

There's one lease that has obviously great hunting on it, the leaseholder has told me "no" despite every effort I could make. I've talked with SRD informally about it, but have to decide if I want to have SRD contact the leaseholder and attempt some sort of resolution or not. This may just **** the leaseholder off, and while the leaseholder technically can't deny me access he could certainly make the experience not a lot of fun as noted above. Might be worth it to bust up what I see as basically a hunting preserve for the guy's buddies, might not if I get access to it with some work... It's a flawed system when that's how the thinking has to go. This leaseholder is also friends with the other leaseholders in the area I have organized access to. If someone is annoying my friends I'm likely to be annoyed too.

Conclusion: Personally, I feel mixed about the whole experience. I met a few good people on leases and look forward to hunting there so that's positive, but the original piece of leased land I wanted to access is still off limits despite all the good faith and effort I've tried. I believe public access means just that, but I'm not sure it's worth the battle to get access, or if I'd enjoy the access I do get. The system has some real problems that I'm not sure how to solve in a way that makes economic sense.

Let's keep it civil if this winds anyone up, both leaseholders and the SRD are very likely to be reading this.

Hope this novel is useful.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:32 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info on this. I have been using the website, ad using the info tool and find it quite handy. But the all of the additional info that you just put, helps me immensely , as I have already called and am calling more this afternoon.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:40 PM

I have yet to wade into this quagmire because of my total lack of knowledge on hunting leased land. It is really tempting because of how far I have to go currently to hunt land without permission. This post at least lets me know how to get started.

Great post, thx
Old 10-26-2010, 12:57 PM

Default leased land

Good post beans.

I have used the website and for the most part had very good luck. I find that if you can meet the lease holder face to face it sometimes makes it harder for him to say no.

In the one lease where you haven`t gotten permission I think I would definately speak to SRD and get them to contact the lease holder. I beleive that some of the lease holders treat the land as their own instead of the public land that it is. If he can justify to SRD then end of strory but it will keep him honest regardless if you hunt it or not.

Mini
Old 10-26-2010, 01:59 PM

This is a great post, Many and huge thank-you's!!!! I have been looking for a site just like this and in 10 min I have accessed new permission on 8 quarters of prime hunting land!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-26-2010, 03:01 PM

Default Great!

That's great you got some new access there Diamonddave! That makes writing all of that worthwhile, good luck.

Minimoose, I've gone back and forth on the SRD involvement on the lease that's shutting me down. I did talk about it with them (and again they've been good on all questions etc, great actually!), but it's not just about the SRD and the leaseholder but local friendships etc. I agree about keeping shadowy leaseholders honest, so that's a plus for SRD. Unfortunately it's just not all simple.

Anyhow, good luck with access and a safe season!
Old 10-26-2010, 03:34 PM

Good read. Thanks for doing the research

Thx

Bretan
Old 10-26-2010, 03:35 PM

Thanks again! I had posted on here a while ago about looking for a site like this or where to find this info. Walking and knocking on doors is great if they live there, but these leases are all held by people 100's of km away so a simple phone call worked wonders.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:36 PM

This is awesome!! Great post Bean! Thanks so much. I had purchased a landowner map for my area, but this is way simpler to use. I now have access to well over 1500 acres of prime hunting land around my place!
Old 10-26-2010, 04:29 PM
Gone Hunting

I have accessed new permission on 8 quarters of prime hunting land

And

I now have access to well over 1500 acres of prime hunting land around my place!

This is great for you guys.

But think about this, the "lease holders" will now be telling other hunters asking permission that they have already given out access permission to other hunters.

If you are trying to tie up exclusive hunting land for yourself (I am not saying you are intentionally) it has a negative effect on other hunters.

I have got access to some ag lease land and I specifically told the fellow that I may or may not be hunting there. And I asked if he had given access "permission" to others.

Ag lease people should be willing to "share the land" with recreational users. And recreational users should be able and willing to share the land with each other.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 10-26-2010, 04:51 PM

Duffy I wish I could say I was surprised to read your input on this thread. I never said any thing about exclusive rights to hunt, I asked for a place to hunt. I am not tying anything up or keeping anybody else out. I found a site, threw the help of a guy on AO, that gave me contact info for lease land. End of story.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:59 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
Duffy I wish I could say I was surprised to read your input on this thread. I never said any thing about exclusive rights to hunt, I asked for a place to hunt. I am not tying anything up or keeping anybody else out. I found a site, threw the help of a guy on AO, that gave me contact info for lease land. End of story.
Do I detect a "defensive note"?

If so you misread or misunderstood my post.

And if you just can't see the possibility that your actions could inadvertently effect another hunter, then I am glad I posted so it would be pointed out to you and to others.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

Old 10-26-2010, 05:09 PM

Not defensive, just tired of the spin you put on things. No I don't see anything wrong what-so-ever in calling the lease holder and asking permission. Thats how people get access to hunt land around here. I plan to hunt the areas I asked about, thats why I asked......
Old 10-26-2010, 05:09 PM
Banned

duff, i say this with no sleight intended.....but wake up! beans....great post with excellent info. the truth is that ANYONE reading that just became empowered to do as you and diamonddave have done and opened up some access. as for the suggestion that it shuts it down to others.....cmon duff......IF it was shut down before at least the early bird is getting his worm. i see nowhere that dave just got eclusive accesss to anything......or that the next guy cant do the same thing on the same land.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:46 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
duff, i say this with no sleight intended.....but wake up! beans....great post with excellent info. the truth is that ANYONE reading that just became empowered to do as you and diamonddave have done and opened up some access. as for the suggestion that it shuts it down to others.....cmon duff......IF it was shut down before at least the early bird is getting his worm. i see nowhere that dave just got eclusive accesss to anything......or that the next guy cant do the same thing on the same land.
Like I have said before a lot of people on this forum do not know how to read a post and understand what it is intended to say. Like you and diamonddave have missed the point of my post.

from my post:

"If you are trying to tie up exclusive hunting land for yourself (I am not saying you are intentionally)"

Now what do you think that means???

From diamondaves post:

No I don't see anything wrong what-so-ever in calling the lease holder and asking permission.

Why are you saying that? I never said you should not call and get permission.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:29 PM

What I read from you post was I was "inadvertantly" tieing up access and keeping other hunters off of land that i called and was granted permission on. I'm pretty sure I didn't miss read that.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:30 PM

If we miss read your post please dumb it down a little more so that us simple people can understand what you really tried to say.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:30 PM

I do not understand what Duffy is trying to say.... I got access to about 10,000 acres so far this year, I don't care what else they do with it. Let others on, don't let others on. I will treat them very well.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:33 PM

Don't worry, I didnt get it either.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:26 PM

Thanks for posting! That is some real good info, I never knew such places existed on the net for finding out who has leased land.

I think Duffy is just cranky that u posted this info for all to see.
Perhaps he likes his exclusive access, or he just likes to stir the pot.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:08 AM

Default More accountable

I have dealt with a leaseholder for many years now and have found it quite frustrating because he limits the number of hunters on his 2 sections of lease. I agree with limiting the number of hunters but I think he is not being truthful. He limits 4 parties of 4 hunters each to these 2 sections. Fair enough. However, a few years ago I took it upon myself to investigate his claims of being full up on a particular weekend. I drove the roads and walked around the sections for an entire weekend and saw no one. Doesn't mean no one was there. Other times we have hunted the lease and saw no one and yet if you hunt the land around it you invariably see and meet other hunters. In conversations with him I have noted that he and his friends hunt. He is extremely difficult to contact in order to obtain permission. One year, prior to hunting season, I must have called ten times with no answers and no voice mails. I called the land manager for the area to complain. Within 10 minutes the lease holder called me at work. I called the land manager back and asked if he had a special phone number or cell phone for the lease holder--no, same number I used. His latest ploy is not allowing any quads on the leases for any reason--not even to pull out game. Last example: a fella from work asked me if I hunted there 2 weekends previous. I said no. Apparently the lease holder denied them permission because he already had a lawyer from Delburne hunting there. Not the real town or profession. The point is the leaseholder was talking about me. What do you think? Do you think he should be accountable to the land manager for the names of the hunters he is giving permission to? BEL
Old 10-27-2010, 10:30 AM

Default Yep

Bel, this is exactly the kind of murky situation I found. When the leaseholder is responsible for managing access this is what's going to happen unfortunately. If you become the squeaky wheel you may find more days where there are already supposedly people on the lease. Or the leaseholder is bitter about quads on his land, I've heard that more than once. But it should say on the zed site "no motorized transport" if that's what he wants. Guys I've talked to were flexible about getting critters as long as they knew about it and that's all it was for.

The solution is likely some sort of database system, but that's got problems too.

Hopefully you'll get your situation sorted, I know it can be frustrating as its just wrong really. No good for the reasonable leaseholders either, lot of work and hassle.