Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-12-2017, 07:40 PM

Default Haida Gwaii....I'm Baaaack!

....here I come! Leaving tomorrow for a couple days of fishing out of Masset with a some great friends of mine! Booked it before Christmas and have been counting the days. Hopefully we can get on to some nice big Chinook. Will post a few pics when I get back.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-12-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
....here I come! Leaving tomorrow for a couple days of fishing out of Masset with a some great friends of mine! Booked it before Christmas and have been counting the days. Hopefully we can get on to some nice big Chinook. Will post a few pics when I get back.
Sounds like a fantastic time, look forward to the report and some pictures.

Have fun.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:37 AM

Had a great trip out to Masset again this year. Our charter was with Stan Hansen operating Haida Princess, and as last year he got it done for us. The weather was God-awful but the fishing was grand. We trolled inlet the first day right off, it was raining and blowing 30 knots, so my two friends who had never fished before went to put on their rain gear (hereafter called their 'rubber pants'), and the second they went to get changed, lines not three minutes in the water, BAM! and I had a fish on (as I was last man on the deck, what was I supposed to do?). Interesting enough, it wasn't a salmon, but a 45" 40ish pound halibut! Stan missed on the first gaff and only damaged it a bit as pictures show, and it ran hard, but I got it back and all was well.

We got no Springs in the inlet, so Stan took us out a bit, and it was like fishing off a bucking bronco with the wind at 30 knots. But we caught our limit, 6 chinook on board. My buddy Kevin got the biggest one of the bunch and his first ever salmon, about 25 lbs (and we all loved the big gob of chew in that smile of his LOL), I took one at 22.....

The next day, it was a bit calmer, but way wetter, and I got soaked to the bone. Next year, I'm taking Helly Hansen along for the trip! We fished the inlet again to start (was the last day to fish inlet) and the other boats landed a few here and there till the rain ran them off....and we again limited out on Springs by 10:30! All of our springs were in the 18-25 lb range, with one smaller one at the end. Had our fish processed, packed and frozen for trip back, and we all ended up with a 50 lb box to bring home. Air Canada was kind enough to knock the bottom out of all our styrofoam coolers, but the heavy cardboard box was too much for them to wreck! So all was well

I'd post more pics, but Photobucket sucks hard! Anyway, many thanks to Stan, he is the best! A great way for old friends to celebrate their 50th birthday together. Until next year.....

Thanks STAN!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 06-18-2017 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:48 AM

I also wanted to do a big shout out and thank you to the staff and Master Chef at Charter's restaurant. That place is absolutely first class spectacular and fantastic! Food was insanely good, very reasonable price, the staff were friendly and it was spotlessly clean. I couldn't get in last year, as it is always full by reservation, but this year I booked all three nights of our stay. All the way back in March actually! Well worth the visit to just eat there. Thanks guys!

One of my favorites was the crisp pork belly with scallops...I don't usually photograph my food because I'm busy eating it, but this was worth the picture! The other meals I also had seafood fettuccini with prawns and scallops, and a short rib that was to die for. Never mind the potato soup with bacon. If you fish Masset, you must eat there! I just left a review on Google for them, lots of good pictures by some other happier customers there as well.

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 06-18-2017 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:29 AM

great pics thanks for sharing!!!
Old 06-18-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken07aovette View Post
great pics thanks for sharing!!!
x2.

Bw
Old 06-18-2017, 11:14 AM

Thanks. And for the record (before the Forum Fish Measurement Squad calls me out), yes, that pic of me and my chinook....it isn't 22 lbs. I know. I caught the 22 lb chinook the next day (bragging rights for day 2, it was biggest) but actually didn't get a pic of me holding it up, just laying there on the deck all bonked. Anyway, it was so wet and rainy, a lot of my pictures aren't that good because the camera/phone was dripping wet. That was just the only half decent picture I had of me and a chinook.

The best pic is of Kevin with that first ever chinook though, after catching oodles of pike in his lifetime. The look on his face, and the death grip on the rod, and the smile say it all. We had a great reunion.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there to head off any 'conversations of correction'...the halibut is legit though! lol

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 06-18-2017 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:22 AM

Thanks for the update !!! It's good to hear the fishing is going as strong as ever!! We'll be heading out there in 3 weeks and hopefully it continues.
I have to remember to stop in for dinner at Charters again, (it really is a remarkable little restaurant for a town the size of Masset !!!)
Old 06-18-2017, 11:32 AM

You should have better weather then at least. I do like to come out in mid june though, always seem to do good with the Chinook. Later on I have landed a few, but more Koho. It's all great though. Look forward to your pics too Scott.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:53 AM
Banned

Congrats on a successful trip!

Looks like you were fishing off of a commercial boat?

By the way for uploading pictures give http://imgur.com/ a try that's what I use. really easy.

What was you're guide charging you per day?

Last edited by 338 Rules; 06-18-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338 Rules View Post

By the way for uploading pictures give http://imgur.com/ a try that's what I use. really easy.

I believe Stan's boat is one of 2 (3 ??) made locally in Masset and I believe it's used for guiding as well as commercial fishing. Twisted can probably correct me if I'm wrong.
They're very easy boats to pick out due to their unique lines.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:44 PM

Thanks for posting. A pilgrimage I have yet to make. Looks fun!!!
Old 06-18-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338 Rules View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
I believe Stan's boat is one of 2 (3 ??) made locally in Masset and I believe it's used for guiding as well as commercial fishing. Twisted can probably correct me if I'm wrong.
They're very easy boats to pick out due to their unique lines.
Stan and his brother (?) built three of those, I don't think he fishes commercial, again not sure though about that, he may just be a sporty charter? We paid $1200 a day for 3 guys which I think is quite fair. Stan is a great guide, knows his stuff, Don cherry would call him a Beauty!

Old 06-19-2017, 05:54 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Beauty is right, very cool trip.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-19-2017, 06:59 AM
Banned

Congrats on a successful salmon trip. Pity the weather was a little harsh, but thats fishing. Been some great reports from members salmon fishing this year.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:25 AM

Nice report! Congrats on finding them.

I'm headed to Langara the August long weekend. Self-guided. No guess on the weather as I don't want to jinx it.

I hear you on PhotoBucket. I still use if here and there but if it is driving you nuts then try https://postimage.io/
Simple interface but if works.