Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-17-2017, 02:54 PM

Default Out of province fishing licence

My dad is visiting from BC and I'd love to take him out for a day of fishing. I found the out of province licence fees online and was thinking of buying one for him. Then I noticed it said you need a WIN card to buy any licences. Does anyone know if that's the case for out of province tourists? It seems like if someone was passing through and wanted to go fishing for a day, the WIN card requirement might be discouraging. Does anyone know if this Is the case or are out of province licences available without WIN card.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Caddy View Post
My dad is visiting from BC and I'd love to take him out for a day of fishing. I found the out of province licence fees online and was thinking of buying one for him. Then I noticed it said you need a WIN card to buy any licences. Does anyone know if that's the case for out of province tourists? It seems like if someone was passing through and wanted to go fishing for a day, the WIN card requirement might be discouraging. Does anyone know if this Is the case or are out of province licences available without WIN card.
As an Albertan, I am not sure. To buy an Ontario License, an out-of-province Canadian still needs a WIN card (or their version) to buy anything longer than a 3 day license.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:29 PM

I don't know about your questions, but great name. 20 years since I first heard the Mad Caddies and you'll still catch me cranking up "Macho Nacho's" on a regular basis.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:31 PM

Default Required for everyone

Every individual who wants to purchase either a hunting or fishing license in the province of alberta, regardless of if they are a resident or NOT requires a win card

Win card is valid for 5 years and cost 8$.... if that discourages the individual from purchasing a license...
Old 06-17-2017, 05:58 PM

He can purchase his win card at the same time as his license, there is no wait time.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-18-2017, 01:23 AM

Plus they hugely raised the fees for out-of-province anglers this year. A shameful tax grab and a reason for all out of province casual-fishers to avoid angling in Alberta.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isopod View Post
Plus they hugely raised the fees for out-of-province anglers this year. A shameful tax grab and a reason for all out of province casual-fishers to avoid angling in Alberta.
When I have fished in BC or NFLD I have had to pay more for being out of Province so why not do it here?
Old 06-18-2017, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isopod View Post
At $60/year, it is on par with most other Canadian provinces. It is $75 for Saskatchewan, $55 Ontario (with very limited retention numbers, but also need a WIN card), $55 in BC (plus all the other gouging fees, like classified water and steelhead fees).

Sorry man---$60 all-in is reasonable.