Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-01-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post
Did you previously submit a membership to them?
Haven't had a restricted for about 12 years...that would have been the last time I submitted. When I called on one to complete the transfer, I was asked for the name of my club but did not give any other info. The completed transfer was e-mailed later that same day.

Last edited by 260 Rem; 03-01-2016 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:11 PM

Cabelas in Calgary requires you to have a membership to complete the sale. No proof of one and they can't sell you restricted anything.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Farmer View Post
Actually I didn't ask, I'm sorry if you think I'm a lesser person because of that.

Show me that there is no legislation requiring it and I may look into it further, looks like you have a hill to die on, what is the court case number you have filed so I can look it up?
I suggest all of those that are under the impression that a gun club membership is legislation should join the NFA.
Or ask the CFO to direct you to the regulation.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
How would you prove your use is target shooting if you don't belong to an approved shoot range? The only legal place to shoot a restricted?
Not entirely true.
The restricted allows possession at your home address.
You can fire a shot from your house, or in your house if there are no County or MD rules against it.
Just like shooting a long gun but you cannot step out into yard to do it.
But you can legally fire it out the window.
Join the NFA and learn this and other things about gun laws.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:39 PM

Default Permitted purposes for a restricted firearm

Target Shooting Practice and Competition

To be authorized to have restricted firearms for target shooting purposes, an individual must provide proof that he or she practices or competes at an approved shooting club or range. For more information about approved shooting clubs and ranges, contact the appropriate provincial or territorial CFO by calling 1-800-731-4000.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/restr-eng.htm

You can shoot out the windows all you want but you still need a membership to own it.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:56 PM

Quote:

To be authorized to have restricted firearms for target shooting purposes, an individual must provide proof that he or she practices or competes at an approved shooting club or range. For more information about approved shooting clubs and ranges, contact the appropriate provincial or territorial CFO by calling 1-800-731-4000.

You can shoot out the windows all you want but you still need a membership to own it.
You can practice or compete with out a membership in the US or you could be a collector and shoot out of your window.
There is no requirement for a gun range to issue a membership, they could give a short term day access.
It is easier to just get the membership than to fight them, which I do but it is still not a requirement by law.
I suspect that fighting them would red flag a person for a future vendetta.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:

You should quote the bottom part too. The part that says that for legal requirements you should consult the FA or CCoC. The RCMP site is not law and even admits it on the page.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:28 PM

if she wants to get a handgun with no hassles she is better off to join a club or become an associate member and also get the chance to meet people with similar interests. Usually a pretty good group of people in your own area as previously mentioned.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:37 PM

Depends where you buy it. I bought one at Wholesale and had to show them proof of range membership. Bought one from Prophet River via their web site and no proof was needed. Bought one from a dealer in Nova Scotia and again no proof of membership was needed. Was never asked by cfc during the transfers either. YMMV