Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-08-2013, 02:34 PM

Default Newbie with a new setup!

Hey everyone,

I've been an avid spinning and baitcasting fisherman my entire life and now feel it's time (now that I can afford it) to try my hand at fly fishing. I did some research and decided on a 9 ft 6wt setup. However, all of my research went out the window today when I impulsively purchased a Sage Approach (9' 6wt) with a CLA 3 Ross Reel.

Haven't been able to find any real reviews for the Approach but am hoping it wasn't a bad purchase. Although I've never casted a fly rod, it felt good in my hand and seemed to have a nice action when compared to other entry level rods (Echo, St. Croix and TFO BVK).

Anyone have experience with the Approach? Anything good or bad to say? How does this setup look for a beginner?
Old 04-08-2013, 02:40 PM

I'm sure it will be a good setup for a new flyfisher. The only problem is, since you've never casted a flyrod before, is not having anything to compare it to. Sage is a very good line of rods though, so I'm sure the money will be well spent.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:40 PM
Banned

I see your an advocate of ye ole sayin..."shoot first and ask questions later" philosophy.

Well its done now....so your stuck w/ it.

All this being said....You done good....you should be happy w/ this setup for quite some time.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:00 PM

Smile What line did you get?

The line is the most important component IMO. If you haven't bought a fly line yet, ask the boys for advice. The correct one for what you are trying to do makes a huge difference.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:49 PM

Great thread. I am also getting into fly fishing this year and I just learnt a whole bunch!
Old 04-08-2013, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
The line is the most important component IMO. If you haven't bought a fly line yet, ask the boys for advice. The correct one for what you are trying to do makes a huge difference.
Great finishing setup advice.
But I assume he bought the combo unit...so it came w/ line??
Old 04-08-2013, 09:54 PM

Nope. Didn't buy the combo unit. I bought a CLA 3 Ross Reel to go with it. Since I plan on practicing my casting on the lawn lots before I get out on the rivers and lakes I bought cheaper floating line (Scientific Anglers Pro Series). The guy at the store recommended that because I will probably cause some damage and there's no point ruining good expensive line. I plan on getting some kind of Rio line... Every post I've read and everyone I've spoken to regarding line raves about it.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:56 PM

Also picked up the Orvis guide to beginning fly fishing. Reading it right now.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:00 PM

when you start to cast better get your self some rio gold
I would have just went with the better line in the first place -most important part
nice first set up !
Old 04-09-2013, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipercub17 View Post
when you start to cast better get your self some rio gold
I would have just went with the better line in the first place -most important part
nice first set up !
I had some rio gold and did not much care for it. It was sub par as it did not last more then a few season for me, and a season is around 10 days for me.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:32 AM
Banned

Rio gold is not all that great, i never see anyone reccomend a royal wulff TT line, try to find it in orange(or olive, just not white) in 6wt. One of the best allaround lines with proper line sizing. Learn to cast with this line and you'll never look back.

Sa pro is a great line as well, nice long bellies and quality wise as good as any line out there, sans loops.

I have a few rio gold lines a 7wt and a 4wt dont really care much for them, still prefer my Royal Wulff line
Old 04-09-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
I had some rio gold and did not much care for it. It was sub par as it did not last more then a few season for me, and a season is around 10 days for me.
I'm also beginning to question the quality of Rio lines. I've got 2 Rio gold lines that started cracking at the loop after only 1 season of use, a 5wt & a 6wt.
Last weekend fishing with a 6wt Rio grand, I again had issues with cracking on the first 10' of line. Again the line is only 1 season old.
I do clean my lines regularly and they are stored inside out of the sun, but maybe I don't condition them as often as one should?? I was using the grand alot this winter, maybe they don't like the cold?
Despite the cracking issues, the gold and grand are nice casting lines and easy to mend and control.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damaltor View Post
I'm also beginning to question the quality of Rio lines. I've got 2 Rio gold lines that started cracking at the loop after only 1 season of use, a 5wt & a 6wt.
Last weekend fishing with a 6wt Rio grand, I again had issues with cracking on the first 10' of line. Again the line is only 1 season old.
I do clean my lines regularly and they are stored inside out of the sun, but maybe I don't condition them as often as one should?? I was using the grand alot this winter, maybe they don't like the cold?
Despite the cracking issues, the gold and grand are nice casting lines and easy to mend and control.
i recommend going with sharkskin cast it once and u won't look anywhere else
Old 04-09-2013, 09:50 AM

I am done with Rio. Out of the box it is awesome but it does not hold up. I returned a 6wt Gold that cracked to pieces after about a month of use. They gave me a new line but it only lasted one summer. Same story with my sons Rio Grand line. We do fish a lot and are not easy on equipment but this stuff just isn't worth the asking price.

Where we are having the problems is where your hand would be on the line when casting at comfortable distances. I don't know if it is reacting to the oils on one's hands or perhaps from bug spray???

I have never had a problem with Cortland or SA and really tried to like the Rio after reading good reviews and liking the parent company for other products.

I have SA Mastery GPX on my fast rods and it performs perfect and shows no signs of wear after a full season. Regular WF Mastery on slower rods delivers drys every bit as softly as Rio Gold with good distance.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:19 AM
Banned

IMO,Airflo lines are leading the industry and are well known for there longevity....they are simply the best there is as far as I'm concerned in every aspect,taper designs,slick coatings,low stretch technology(sensitivity),and durability....you won't find a tougher,longer lasting line.
That said,I just picked up new a Rio Gold for my 5wt,mainly because it was 1/2 price and I've heard such good reviews for the most part....time will tell I suppose?Other than that,I've been gradually replacing all my lines with Airflo lines as required for the last few years.....but on that note,the aforementioned Rio Gold is replacing the 5 yr old SA GPX that is currently on my 5wt,and that is 5 hard years of use,50-100 days/yr on that line and rod combo alone as my main go-to,do it all trout rod.Truth be known,there's still a fair bit of life left in that GPX although it's a bit "softer" than new,but no cracks in it,can't complain really,it's seen a ton of use and I'm a real slacker on maintenance.I probly cleaned it once or twice at most over 5 years of hard use?I aint throwing it out just yet,put it that way.A good cleaning and line treatment and its fine,spooling it on a backup reel/spare loaner rod where it'll likely last several more seasons?
Old 04-09-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillHunter1 View Post
Nope. Didn't buy the combo unit. I bought a CLA 3 Ross Reel to go with it. Since I plan on practicing my casting on the lawn lots before I get out on the rivers and lakes I bought cheaper floating line (Scientific Anglers Pro Series). The guy at the store recommended that because I will probably cause some damage and there's no point ruining good expensive line. I plan on getting some kind of Rio line... Every post I've read and everyone I've spoken to regarding line raves about it.
You got a great rod and reel (especially the reel) for a beginner. 6wt is a perfect starter for around here. You will be able to use those for years. I wouldn't stress about the line too much. Scientific Anglers isn't that bad. Heck, it's what they recommended for a recent saltwater flats trip I did. If you can't cast that competently you aren't going to be able to cast anything more expensive any better.

I would suggest a lesson. Other than that, go for it. You can wait on waders and boots if you like. Around here June to September I usually leave the waders at home and fish in shorts and old runners or water shoes. Much more comfortable. If you want to start right now, then yeah, waders are a must.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:09 PM

Nice first setup by the way. As for Rio gold I don't like it either. I just bought some SA air cell for my 7 weight ( I'm a cheap bugger) as it was on double sale I like it better ? I also really like my new orvis hydros superfine that I also got on sale (like 40$ off). It cast well and mends like you wouldn't believe.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:38 PM

Good luck with the new set-up. You should be happy with it. As far as line goes, Cortland or SA over Rio any day for me.

happy fishing!