Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-09-2013, 02:17 PM

Default Flying the Blindman?

I am usually a mountain stream/lake trout fly fisher. I was speaking to someone lately that said that they had good success last year flying the Blindman near Blackfalds. Any tips? Not looking for secret spots. I have a canoe and was planning on heading up the river, but any tips on what's in there and what they will hit? I was told that I have not lived until I have caught a pike on a fly so I am very eager seeing as the Blindman is right out my backyard.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywroe View Post
I am usually a mountain stream/lake trout fly fisher. I was speaking to someone lately that said that they had good success last year flying the Blindman near Blackfalds. Any tips? Not looking for secret spots. I have a canoe and was planning on heading up the river, but any tips on what's in there and what they will hit? I was told that I have not lived until I have caught a pike on a fly so I am very eager seeing as the Blindman is right out my backyard.
FH7 will set you up with all the info. I'm pretty sure its only pike and coarse fish. But I might be wrong.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:26 PM

Default ?

Fh7?
Old 04-09-2013, 02:58 PM

Keep in mind that it's closed until may 15.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:02 PM

Default .

Ya I am aware. just planning ahead. I've already been out scouting my hunting area for the upcoming season. Early bird gets the worm.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:34 PM

I've always wondered about the blindman river as well. It alway looks rather stagnant when passing over it at the Hwy2 bridge so probably good pike habitat I do know that pike on the fly is loads of fun! I've caught them in various rivers such as the Battle and Vermilion River and small lakes. Try buck tails and clouser minnows with reds, orange and yellow colours. Good luck! Let us know how you do.