Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 11:33 AM

Default A Poacher's Message

many years ago (no it's not a fairy tale) i had several instances where i felt obligated to either call a Fish & Wildlife or call the report a poacher hotline. in one of these cases, the parties involved were known to me and reporting it would bring obvious sanctions from the perp. well, i did what i thought was right and reported it. that lead to a chain of events that has yet to reach it's full length.

after the issue was reported and investigated,he was charged with a wildlife act violation,a fine. i'm not sure what all went on during the investigation but the outcome was a very small fine for leaving the animal to waste,sans paw. the area where this particular offence occured was frequented by both me and the perp and very few other hunters. later on i arrive at this same hunting location and see that he has been there already. i knew the type of tracks his truck,trailer and quad made so i was absolutely sure he was hunting in the area and was the only other hunter in there.

i made camp and followed his trail up the cutline. i didn't get very far when i came upon a whitetail buck, probably 150-155. i could see where he stood and shot from,saw where the deer was hit, ie: hair on the ground. it expired just a few feet away. and that was where it was still laying,a few feet away. it was a day or two old.

so,here is the question. was it left there to send a message to me and if so,what was the message? he had gutted the deer, flipped him over onto his underside and cut off his tail. in hind site, if he went to that length to send me a message,do you think he is going two likely attempt retaliation until he gets redemption for his fine? is there a rule of law that protects people from harassment in such cases or are certian people above the law (aborginal), here in alberta?
Old 02-16-2011, 11:51 AM

If the tail is gone, and he has it, you might be worried about a certain tail being found on your property, with the fish cops not far behind. If that's his motive? If not I don't think there's much you can do except document future harassment and report it.
Tullfan
Old 02-16-2011, 11:59 AM

Maybe the message was that he is a pr*ck?

Wouldn't worry too much about it, unless he's made direct threats. Maybe just find another area to hunt.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:14 PM

pick your battles
Old 02-16-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnM View Post
Maybe the message was that he is a pr*ck?

Wouldn't worry too much about it, unless he's made direct threats. Maybe just find another area to hunt.
Sounds like he has abad habit of wasting meat AND a short memory ..I'd maybe also look for a new area to hunt and watch over my shoulder when hunting in the old one ..
Old 02-16-2011, 02:49 PM

I would have reported the SOB again and then I would find a new place to hunt. She's a big country out there lots of places to hunt.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:16 PM

Report him again.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:20 PM

well, you aren't really reporting HIM. You think it's him but you don't know. Just report the find and let the fish cops deal with it. Your report will insure you against getting charged if the tail somehow ends up at your place. Hope he wasn't in the bush taking picutres.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:23 PM
Gone Hunting

Lots of what ifs. Think it through. Make the call.

Don't lose your head over a little tail.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 02-16-2011, 03:24 PM

Default I agree, report him

I absolutely agree. Report the idiot again.
He's obviously a bully who could care less about people let alone wildlife.
Don't let him win. We need to stand up to goofs like this.
Your not alone.
Give me a pm and I'd help all I could. We've got to stick together against idiots.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:52 PM

Does the name Rozko mean anything? Report the carcass to F&W and find another spot to hunt.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:21 PM

ironically, i found two deer left behind on that trip. the other was a smaller buck a mile away, left behind because of ground shrinkage. maybe they were partners in crime,lol. anyways,with no actual physical evidence or eyewitness, it is a non-issue!!! ends up, being a, waste of time.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:46 PM
south b

Quote:
so,here is the question. was it left there to send a message to me and if so,what was the message? he had gutted the deer, flipped him over onto his underside and cut off his tail. in hind site, if he went to that length to send me a message,do you think he is going two likely attempt retaliation until he gets redemption for his fine? is there a rule of law that protects people from harassment in such cases
So you know its your ex- buddy that did it .

Quote:
with no actual physical evidence or eyewitness, it is a non-issue!!! ends up, being a, waste of time.
A waste of time So if that’s the case why blame your ex- buddy if your not one hundred percent sure.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:29 PM

Not sure why someone would take the time to gut a deer they were gonna leave after only taking the tail. Sounds like something else may have happened like the guy saw a bigger one while gutting the deer? Regardless it is all illegal but you could not prove anything without a witness or pics etc. Maybe have to let it slide.
Still wouldn't hurt to report your findings.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:56 PM

I would speak to the officer that originally fined him. That way, it's on record.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:23 PM

i agree with reporting it regardless of how non issue it is. Then its on record, fish cops can come and take a look around, see the tracks and such. Should it happen again and there are similarities then they can start to narrow things down.

Watching that new fish and game show on tv, seems all the cases those guys talk about in the show are a long time coming, lots of investigating over a long period of time before they catch the criminals in the show.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:31 PM

Question

Nait, you said that this happened many yeas ago. I am not sure where you are headed with this thread. What are you trying to get past us. I'm just not getting it..... Are asking what you should have done?

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 02-16-2011, 10:46 PM
Banned

If it happened "many years ago" and nothing has happened since then what are you worried about?
Old 02-16-2011, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
If it happened "many years ago" and nothing has happened since then what are you worried about?
just meandering,if in fact it was intended as a message,i'm wondering if a person convicted of a wildlife act offence and suffering from "hurt feelings" regarding a fine, can violate the charter rights of a canadian citizen, without repercussions from the law? i was not able to locate anything in the current act that addressed this specific issue.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:11 PM

Nait..I'm thinking that you are a little paranoid (s/p) so don't worry about it..
Old 02-16-2011, 11:14 PM

thanks for your medical opinion,doc.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nait Hadya View Post
just meandering,if in fact it was intended as a message,i'm wondering if a person convicted of a wildlife act offence and suffering from "hurt feelings" regarding a fine, can violate the charter rights of a canadian citizen, without repercussions from the law? i was not able to locate anything in the current act that addressed this specific issue.
Your situation sounds like another good reason for allowing dogs to accompany a hunter for all big game. That would solve your worries.

Straigh up Nait, why are you worried about this guy right now?

To answer your question. Of course a person can violate the charter without repercussions. SSS.

Last edited by walking buffalo; 02-16-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:11 AM
sheephunter

Does anyone else hear the theme music from the Twighlight Zone playing?
Old 02-17-2011, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
I'm thinking the outer limits....lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I7vPbthvWo
Old 02-17-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:

Here Nait That better?
Old 02-17-2011, 08:08 AM

Ok, so your man tracker, and can read the man's tracks and he know's you can? And knowing this he went out and poached not one but a few deer in the area you two have wrapped up as a big secret knowing you could read his couple day old tracks? And he likely purposely formulated a plan and carried out these actions to violate your charter rights?

??????

You are giving yourselves too much credit, and IF he did carry out this act for the purpose you believe he did, it isn't a charter rights violation. And if it was a CRF Act issue you would need to deal with the RCMP not F&W.

I would suggest you switch from Man Tracker, CSI, and Law and Order to Days of our Lives. You'll get the extreme drama this story says you crave.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:59 AM
sheephunter

Maybe this is Nait's way of saying he's throwing his hat in the ring to be the next Man Tracker. There is an opening right now
Old 02-17-2011, 09:50 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Maybe this is Nait's way of saying he's throwing his hat in the ring to be the next Man Tracker. There is an opening right now
Or leader of the Alberta conservatives.

Are the wild berries fermenting this time of year? Anyone know?.....Anyone???

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 02-17-2011, 10:05 AM

you did the right thing in reporting him in the first place, but, you should also report the deer that you found with the tail removed just to cover your butt. I'm also in a situation similar to yours, Friend of mine is poaching all season long, he will go in the country and shoot moose and call someone with a license to come and pick up the moose for the payment of $100 or one of the quarters, I know he's doing it for people with a license but it's still poaching, he shoots between 20-30 or more moose every season and I don't know what to do, I feel it's my responsibility to report this but on the other hand he's a good friend. What should I do, I think I'm going to end up reporting this because, well Friend or not this type of activity just makes me so dam angry and it has to stop.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatF View Post
you did the right thing in reporting him in the first place, but, you should also report the deer that you found with the tail removed just to cover your butt. I'm also in a situation similar to yours, Friend of mine is poaching all season long, he will go in the country and shoot moose and call someone with a license to come and pick up the moose for the payment of $100 or one of the quarters, I know he's doing it for people with a license but it's still poaching, he shoots between 20-30 or more moose every season and I don't know what to do, I feel it's my responsibility to report this but on the other hand he's a good friend. What should I do, I think I'm going to end up reporting this because, well Friend or not this type of activity just makes me so dam angry and it has to stop.
How can you claim this guy as your "good friend"? Wow. First off you should be much more cautious in who you hang out with, and second, I have to question why you would hang out with this guy in the first place?

Would you hang out with a drug dealer? With a known bank robber? With a convicted sex offender? What is the difference? This guy is breaking the law - and not some victimless paper crime, he is wholesale killing OUR wildlife for cash in his pocket - he is STEALING FROM YOU AND ME. Drop the dime (or the hammer) on this POS.
Closed Thread