Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-13-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
Our congregation all prayed for you this am. If you take the advice that you've been given everyday from now on will be a bit better.

Please tell us how you are doing. We want to hear the good news.

Bob
Lots of Prayer coming to u
Old 02-13-2011, 06:52 PM

Jesus won't save you..... Only you can save you, lots of good advice so far.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:53 PM

Default Good luck, stay strong

im not religeous or else i would pray for you, but you will make it through this, and good luck to you!
Old 02-13-2011, 08:51 PM
Banned

Yes, I am religious and I will pray for you and if you need to talk, PM me. Folks helped me through it when I needed it, and I will likewise do the same for you.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:22 PM

Depression is something that I have battled most of my life. Get help. You can't do it on your own. When it gets real bad, medication is often the only way I can get out of it.

I have found that once I get out of the deep depression, excercise and healthy eating help to keep me out. I have a very supportive wife that helps me out too. She is very understanding, and can often see the symptom setting in long before I can. This is good cause then I can make changes in my life to head off the depression before it gets too bad.

Good luck sir. Don't let depression rule your life.

Dusty
Old 02-13-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
Jesus won't save you..... Only you can save you, lots of good advice so far.
You couldn't be more wrong.
Jesus does save..
The power of prayer is more amazing than you could imagine.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almer Fudd View Post
You couldn't be more wrong.
Jesus does save..
The power of prayer is more amazing than you could imagine.
Lets not have a religeon fight lol. I believe prayer works for those who believe it does. But listen to everyones advice on here Rotax
Old 02-13-2011, 10:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage7mm View Post
Lets not have a religeon fight lol. I believe prayer works for those who believe it does. But listen to everyones advice on here Rotax
It's spelled "religion" for you info. And Almer prays to Jesus as I do, no fight here, so don't make one. And the advise is good as you mentioned.

A lot of people say that they're going to send their prayers when people fall upon hardship. But, they don't really mean it, it's just internet BS to make them feel good. When I say that I'll pray for you in a prayer, I really mean it and I do it and mean it down to my socks. I have no shame whatsoever in admitting that Jesus is our saviour and that I try to be a good Christian, even though I know that I've failed at times.

Last edited by gitrdun; 02-13-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
It's spelled "religion" for you info. And Almer prays to Jesus as I do, no fight here, so don't make one. And the advise is good as you mentioned.
ok, lol thanks for the spelling help too.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage7mm View Post
ok, lol thanks for the spelling help too.
oooops, internet timing. sorry
Old 02-13-2011, 10:11 PM

I cannot even tell you all how helpfull you have all been. Thank you all very much, it still is all a lot to deal with but I feel I have a fighting chance now, I did not yesterday. There are so many wonderful people on here, I am very glad I reached out when I did. I will be making an appointment with my doctor in the morning. I was able to spend my day with my daughter at her soccerfest, we had a parent against the kids game, I had so much fun I can't imagine how she would feel if I was gone. Thank you all for the PM's and words of encouragement. Not to be dramatic, but it may have saved a little girl's father.
Dennis
Old 02-13-2011, 10:34 PM

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say I'm ecstatic to hear you'll be taking this immensely important first step. Glad to hear about a good day out with your daughter too. Thats time well spent, each and every time.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say I'm ecstatic to hear you'll be taking this immensely important first step. Glad to hear about a good day out with your daughter too. Thats time well spent, each and every time.
2x
Dennis.
We are all here for you and I'm always prepared for a PM if you feel like the need for an ear or shoulder.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:27 PM

took balls to post that friend good on ya it is a ****ty deal but like many others said there is help family doc or just some walk in doc can help line ya up with an ear to vent to and maybe med's if need be i know this from experiance stay strong it gets better!
Old 02-13-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
took balls to post that friend good on ya
That's for sure, you've got a lot of support here. Look for the positive things that surround you, trust me they are there. A beautiful sunset or sunrise, a bird sitting on your window sill or the love that a pet gives 24/7 unconditionally.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:00 AM

I feel for ya Bud. I've been fighting depression all my life. Had no self esteem or confidence in myself and it usually came out in rage. Don't know why my wife and kids stuck with me for 30 years. But about 20 years ago I tried to quit smoking and the Doc gave me Wellbutrin. Didn't make me stop smoking but my wife noticed a slight change in my attitude so the Doc kept me on it for a little while and then changed to Effexor. That worked awsome, I even got some good feeling about myself going again. Well that all came to a crash when I had an accident and screwed up my back. Started drinking fairly heavy and the Effexor lost it's effect and I just stopped taking it. Big mistake. Sat out in my RV one night with a bottle of vodka, a bottle of painkillers and a razer blade drunk and deciding which one would be easiest. Chose the pills because I figured I'd just pass out if I drank more but ended up puking them out and passing out anyway. When I woke up the next morning I was scared. Pulled my wits together and straightened myself out for a while until I had surgery and then I was a mess again. Went back on a higher dose of wellbutrin and after a pretty rocky number of years I'm finally feeling better about my life. It's still scary waking up every morning wondering if todays the day I flip again but it's just one day at a time. I've developed a few little ways to stop myself before it gets carried away and time will tell. Took me a very long time to realize there's always someone more than willing to lend you an ear. Life has it's struggles but you have the power to change things for the better and I know you will. Pencil me in as one of your fellow forumers here to do whatever I can. PM me anytime. Sorry for the long rant guys but I tried to put 30 or so years into a short story.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:34 AM

Count me in as well. Lost a best friend to this disease and wish everyday i could have helped more. Anytime you want to talk or anything. Pm me. i check this site often so you wont have to wait long to hear from me.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:03 AM

Your a brave man to ask for help and I hope you find it. Remember one thing, no matter how bad things get, there is light at the end of the tunnel. Many of us have been through marriage break ups and divorce, fought for custody or visitation rights for our children.
Its a hard hill to climb but you will reach the top. Do what you need to do and take one day at a time. Take one hour, 1 minute at a time if you have to....ask your self is there anything right here right now that I can't handle. Talk to people, get in a support group and get yourself outside of the vicious circle.

No matter what, don't listen to the comittee of *******s in your head. You are a good person and life is very much worth living.

All the best my friend!
Old 02-14-2011, 09:41 AM
Banned

I lost my brother to this 2 years ago.I think it was a combo self pity/they`ll miss me when I`m gone sort of thing.I found him hanging in his basement.
Trust me,you don`t EVER want the people you love to remember you like that.
Get help,get pills,go fishing,get a puppy,play with your kids............anything it takes.Stay strong.Joe.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:00 AM

Default Depression

Lots of good advice here Dennis, not much more to say than call someone, even a buddy and go fishing or for coffee, and tak, that's what is missing in this tech world, human interface. Best to you.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:06 AM

Keep your appointment. Dont cancel no matter how "good" you are feeling. Go to that appointment and spill your guts to the doctor.

One good day or a million good days. You choose.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:14 AM

Appointment is made, and I will follow through. A big hats off to all that are willing to openly share their stories with me. Just a great bunch of "beings" you all are, refreshing to know that the world is still full of caring helpful people. My life is fulfilling and great, just a lot cloudy right now. lots of talk in the last few days with many of you, most I dont know from Adam, but all very willing to lend an ear, unbaised and caring. Thank you all again.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:30 AM
Gone Hunting

Today I am proud to say I am a member on Alberta Outdoorsman.
You folks are awesome!

Yeah I battled depression. It was a very long dark valley, but I came out the other side better then I went in. For that I have Jesus to thank.

I was not a believer. In fact I hated anything to do with Jesus. But in that dark place I met the man who died for us all. It was by far the best thing to ever happen to me.

I have no answers for you, but I believe in you. I know how hard this road is and I KNOW YOU CAN MAKE IT THROUGH. You have made the right first step.
Asking for help is the hardest part.

Now you know you are not alone. We are here and we care.
When you feel you need help, remember, there are folks here who understand. Even at 3:00 in the morning.

I too will be praying for you.

One last thing. Through this I learned that tears are Gods medicine for the heart. Tears wash the wounds clean so that they can heal.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:52 AM

its a long hard battle, it took you a long time to get to where you are now, it will take a long time to get back to who you were , make the calls that have been suggested by others , make an appointment to see yer DR ASAP, depression is a tough thing to deal with even with help, its so different for each individual, best thing is get help asap,
no one can help you if you don't want to be helped, and you cant be responsible for anyone else's happiness, you can only enhance their happieness, same as others for you, if yer way down and out and cant navigate for yourself, how can be there for yerself, get the help you need so you can be on the top of yer game for you, and then you will be there for others, fix yerself first, I wish you the very best, and we here at A.O are here for you if need be. keep yer chin up, laughter is a great medicine for depression, and lots of activity, join a gym or just go for good long strenuous walks

( when yer up to poop to yer bottom lip don't make waves)(just tyrin to make ya smile)
Old 02-14-2011, 10:58 AM

It took me about 15 years to figure out that I was depressed and feeling the way I felt was not normal. Been on happy pills since my mid twenties. I'm glad you recognize that there is a problem and it didn't take you as long as it took me.

The "Rage internalized" quote is a good one.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:58 AM

Wow, Thanks for sharing Keg.

"God helps those who help themselves" was never written in the bible. In fact the bible says the complete opposite.

Trying to sort out difficult times in your life, alone is almost impossible.

Dennis, you are on the right track by seeking medical/professional help.

And if you choose to walk with the Lord, you will never walk alone again.

Last edited by Almer Fudd; 02-14-2011 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:05 PM

I have imediate family with depression. When you don't have it, its tough to 'fix' the problem or understand how it feels. Gone are the days of telling people to just pull up your socks.

Keep that dr.'s appointment. Medication and counselling does and will help.

Don't think of yourself as being weak. you have a health condition. Just like a chronic physical illness, instead you have a mental one. There just seems to be a stigma associated with the mental illness, though there shouldn't ben.

Hang in there, and if you are thinking dark thoughts, make that phone call to reach out.

Thanks for letting us help in some small way.

Take care, and be strong. My family member has good days and bad ones. The meds just help balance out the extreme lows.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:49 PM

It started for me in my mid teens. My mom was dieing from cancer and I became the center of the universe for all around. It seemed strange at first, all of the attention I received, but by the time she passed away a couple of years later I had become a master at wallowing in the misery of it all.

A full blown alcoholic by the time I was twenty the blues became so habitual I had forgotten what normal was. I traveled from province to province on this crazy roller coaster of mood swings. I was always able to maintain a good job and had some wonderful relationships, but inside of me was this knowing that something bad was about to happen. If it didn’t happen soon enough, I would cause it. The cycle would be complete and I would start all over again.

There then came a time when I was thirty that I came to the sad realization that I had no one left to blame.

That was nearly twenty years ago. My kids (11 and 16) have never known that pathetic soul I left there in that dingy hotel room.

I will not bore you with the details of recovery as each of us must find our own way. I will tell you that 90% of the battle is won the moment you admit you have a problem. No, life has not become a bed of roses and yes there are still days when I look to the heavens for a little support, but it does get better everyday.

I had taken much more than I had ever given to this world. The deficit left me feeling emptier with every morsel I grabbed in selfishness. In giving I found peace.

“Anyone who seeks his own happiness will not find it. But those who seek the happiness of others will find happiness in all they do.” – a transliteration of the words of Jesus from Mathew 16

I wish you the best of luck and please remember that misery is truly optional.

Last edited by MK2750; 02-14-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post

Don't think of yourself as being weak. you have a health condition. Just like a chronic physical illness, instead you have a mental one. There just seems to be a stigma associated with the mental illness, though there shouldn't ben.
While I won't say this is wrong; because it's not; if it makes it easier to wrap ones head around it you can even compare depression to a vitamin deficiency. There are certain chemicals, etc that your body simply isn't manufacturing quite enough of, and your brain is the organ that needs these compounds. Most guys can relate to needing a sandwich, you simply need a serotonin smoothie!

Oversimplified yes; but it puts things in a context that tough guy procrastinators can justify going to the Dr for.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:27 PM

Wow so many good people on this forum offering advice. Blows my mind. Some giving there own battles which takes alot of balls. Salute ya all.

After 4500 posts ya all know I ain't good with words.

Hang in ther 827, you can do it. My best to you.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com