Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-12-2011, 11:24 PM

Default Depression.

Has anyone here battled this disease. I am losing my family now for some poor choices I have made. I feel depression is the cause. The steam roll of it all is a lot for me to carry right now and I feel I am losing my grip. What is the best way to help myself before I do something stupid.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:29 PM

Please see your doctor.
This is something you can't battle alone. It isn't easy asking for help, in this case it is essential.

Here is a website worth checking out.
http://www.depressionhurts.ca

Hang in there.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:32 PM
Banned

pm sent bud
Old 02-12-2011, 11:34 PM

This something that you can't deal with on your own, asking for help is the first step to ending depression...
good luck..
Old 02-12-2011, 11:37 PM

pm sent also...
Old 02-12-2011, 11:43 PM

A lot of employee medical coverage have counseling available as part of the package. This is always private and not reported to the employer. If you have a health plan it may include this.

A lot of communities also have 'help' numbers that people can call to get in touch with services, or just someone to chat with about what you can do about problems. There may even be a provincial one. Check you local phone book under the blue pages to see what may be close to you.

This is a treatable disease that deserves no shame, but you have to reach out to get the help you need. A family doctor could guide you as well, but if time is of the essence, have a look for a help line to get a start.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:01 AM
Banned

"According to Health Canada and Statistics Canada, approximately 8% of adult Canadians will experience a major depression/anxiety at some point in their lives, and around 5% will in a given year."

You are not alone! Depression is an illness that is treatable.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:12 AM

pm sent
Old 02-13-2011, 12:13 AM

the absolute best thing you can do at this very minute is call

403 943 5465 in Calgary

780 408 5465 in Edmonton

or toll free

1 866 408 5465

It is free, confidential and offered by Alberta Health Services.
They can assess what you're going through and make a recommendation for you for right now... maybe that would be to go to emerg,..maybe that's just to talk,...

but it's protected by your right to confidentiality and the person on the other end is a professional.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:23 AM

Thank you all so very much for the PM's and all the advice. I have called the health link and will follow their advice. The thought of leaving my daughter without a dad kills me, but the thought of being here without her kills me also. I am very low and sad right now, I know I need help. I know that putting this on a forum may not be the best choice but I really needed someone to listen.
Thank you all again.
Dennis
Old 02-13-2011, 12:33 AM
Banned

Things WILL get better, I gaurantee it!!!
Old 02-13-2011, 12:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 827rotax View Post
Thank you all so very much for the PM's and all the advice. I have called the health link and will follow their advice. The thought of leaving my daughter without a dad kills me, but the thought of being here without her kills me also. I am very low and sad right now, I know I need help. I know that putting this on a forum may not be the best choice but I really needed someone to listen.
Thank you all again.
Dennis
Rotax. When you find your feet, go spend some time volunteering. You will find that will give you the strength to get through each day and the want to get up the day following. It’s very fulfilling.
Good luck, I am sure it is a struggle.

Jamie
Old 02-13-2011, 06:35 AM

Wise words once told to me.

"Depression is rage internalized"

Taking all the **** and anger and turning in on yourself. Hardly fair to you. Give yourself a break-get counselling quickly. It can get better really fast.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:39 AM
Banned

I see no shame in admitting your depression Dennis. The fact that you did is the first step in the right direction. Follow the advices given in the previous posts. Besides councelling, ask your doctor to prescribe a happy pill, because in a lot of cases it's a chemical imbalance in the brain which can be treated with meds. Depression is a nasty thing that can also lead to other medical problems or worse, so get out there, get the councelling, meds and go do something you love to do. Good luck.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Thank you all again.
Dennis
I am preying for u right now............................................... ......................God will help u if u let him
BOB
Old 02-13-2011, 08:05 AM
Banned

Bob, if you are preying for him, that would be bad. On the other hand, praying for him would be good. lol.....Hopefully rotax gets a chuckle outta of this, and puts a smile on his face.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:07 AM

Denis our thought are all with you, it may or not may the place to bring it up but by the looks of the responses I believe LOTS of people have advice and there thoughts are with you............. just feel the energy
Old 02-13-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Bob, if you are preying for him, that would be bad. On the other hand, praying for him would be good. lol.....Hopefully rotax gets a chuckle outta of this, and puts a smile on his face.
i was the smartest kid in grade 3 ........ for 6 years.Here in Sask ,thats a high school education
Old 02-13-2011, 08:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnyder View Post
i was the smartest kid in grade 3 ........ for 6 years.Here in Sask ,thats a high school education
Hahaha....3x6=18....wouldn't that make it a university edumacation?
Old 02-13-2011, 08:22 AM

PM sent Dennis
Old 02-13-2011, 08:25 AM

Default depression

Dennis - admitting there is a problem, and knowing what it is - you are on your way to finding a solution. It took tremendous courage for you to do what you did, my hat is off to you. Lots of great advice & positive energy here. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Nigel
Old 02-13-2011, 08:37 AM

I battled and conquered it too. Tough fight though at the start. The biggest surprise I had was when I finally saw how much support I had when I thought the whole world was against me.
It was my daughter that gave me the "want" to get help. You'll make it just fine. You will be amazed at how great your life is once you start looking at it different.

I thought about PM'ing this message, but I'm willing to bet there is more than just you who could use a few words of encouragement. Also I am not embarrassed to admit I was severely depressed.
If you or anyone wants to chat, PM me for my number.

Chin up. It gets better.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:00 AM

Exclamation Get Help!!!

This is a very serious illness! The treatment is effective and you will feel better and be able to move on with your life.

The best time for getting help is right NOW.

We are all with you in this, and remember it can happen to anyone.

Did I mention that the treatment works and you can go on to a happy productive life!
Old 02-13-2011, 09:01 AM

Admiting it to yourself is a huge first step, wanting to get help is the next step and will only lead to better days. Lots of positive thoughts and support here if you need it. Sunny days ahead, good on you for starting the process and seeking help for yourelf !
Old 02-13-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Has anyone here battled this disease. I am losing my family now for some poor choices I have made. I feel depression is the cause. The steam roll of it all is a lot for me to carry right now and I feel I am losing my grip. What is the best way to help myself before I do something stupid.
My friend, you need to go to the emergency department today. Go in, tell the triage nurse why you are there. Be patient because right now, there is nothing more important in your world than getting help.

Depression is treatable but the biggest problem is people not getting help. If you had cancer, you would seek treatment? Yes. You have a disease called depression, thus you need treatment now as depression spreads, just like cancer, and it spreads to others near you.

It can be stopped, but only if you go to the hospital and seek treatment.

Get showered, have some breakfast, grab $20 for misc stuff, pack a small overnite bag with your toothbrush etc and head over to the hospital. Stay there. You know that you have to do this, so do it.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Rotax. When you find your feet, go spend some time volunteering. You will find that will give you the strength to get through each day and the want to get up the day following. It’s very fulfilling.
Good luck, I am sure it is a struggle.

Jamie
Jamie, so much truth in that.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:55 AM

PM sent Rotax.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:21 PM

Default Hi Dennis

Our congregation all prayed for you this am. If you take the advice that you've been given everyday from now on will be a bit better.

Please tell us how you are doing. We want to hear the good news.

Bob
Old 02-13-2011, 04:59 PM

Both my wife and I work in Mental Health. She as a Psychologist and myself in education. 1 in 5 suffer from mental illness in a given year and you are not alone and help is easily available! Go to see a physician ASAP (walk in clinic if you do not have one of your own or in calgary you can go to the South Calgary Health Centre or Sheldon Chumir Health Centre) or contact the distress center (403)266-HELP/1605 or in Edmonton The support network (780) 482-4357.

You will get through this!

Peter
Old 02-13-2011, 05:54 PM
Banned

Very sage advice being handed out here Rotax...accept the heartfelt tips without judging yourself. Why is it that us guys have no problem in getting our vehicles tuned up, guns tuned up, reels tuned up, we read on how to maintain what ever "toy" we have, BUT when it comes to our feelings or relationships, we don't ever try to get a tune up on those? It is nothing to be ashamed about or embarrassed about...it is a necessity as far as I'm concerned! We are all pulling for you!