Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-17-2024, 07:31 AM

Default onan generator 4500 running watts

Travel land RV in Airdrie has Onan generators. Two types, one gas only and one gas/propane. $1599 and $1699 respectively. They are inverter and sales guy said 53 dB. Might have to check on that, but might be a pretty goo deal if you happen to be in the market!
Old 03-17-2024, 11:42 AM

whats 53 db?
Old 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
whats 53 db?
53 db is the decibels for noise level.
Old 03-17-2024, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
whats 53 db?
About as loud as a dishwasher or washing machine. For a genny..... pretty quiet.
Old 03-17-2024, 12:24 PM

https://arrkannrvparts.com/products/...onan-generator

Was looking into the specs on this model as a option to a Honda 3000 inverter.
Seems to check all of the boxes for my needs - limited use power failures - and much less costly than the Honda.

Arrkkann website lists a sale price of $1499

Thanks to the OP for the heads up.
Old 03-17-2024, 03:02 PM

Bought a BE 3600 watt for a good price, I believe it is basically an Onan. Use it for the hunting cabin when solar isn't available. I have about 1000 hours on it in 2 years and it's pretty much done. It's a great generator but you get what you pay for. Also it doesn't have a starter it some how uses the stator in generator to crank and it cranks fairly slow so in cold temps a bit of an issue. Thought it was great but I'm buying a Honda this spring and keeping the other one for backup I guess.
If you don't plan on using it a tonne it's probably a good deal.
Old 03-17-2024, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwest View Post
53 db is the decibels for noise level.
Lol As soon as I pressed enter , I remembered what it was.
I used a readers years ago after builder a few quite gen. sets for the oil field .
53 is nice and low indeed
Old 03-18-2024, 10:10 AM

Have being running the Cummins/Onan P4500 for a few years now and it just purrs , remote start with recoil back-up ,30 amp female to accept RV plug , wheels and retractable handle so its easy to move around. Zero problems and good on fuel . Very well built ,Honda quality for 1/2 the price.
Old 03-18-2024, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
Have being running the Cummins/Onan P4500 for a few years now and it just purrs , remote start with recoil back-up ,30 amp female to accept RV plug , wheels and retractable handle so its easy to move around. Zero problems and good on fuel . Very well built ,Honda quality for 1/2 the price.
These units look interesting for sure.

I camped next to a fellow who had one. The remote start looks slick. They are not as quiet as a honda or yamaha but its not a huge difference.

What's the run time on yours? I had the smaller honda 3000i that was built similar. Folding handle, wheels, 70lbs dry....was a nice unit but got rid of it due to the run time. 5 to 7 hours on a full tank with that one.
Old 03-18-2024, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Just curious how many hours you have on it? Does it use a separate starter?
Old 03-18-2024, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
These units look interesting for sure.

I camped next to a fellow who had one. The remote start looks slick. They are not as quiet as a honda or yamaha but its not a huge difference.

What's the run time on yours? I had the smaller honda 3000i that was built similar. Folding handle, wheels, 70lbs dry....was a nice unit but got rid of it due to the run time. 5 to 7 hours on a full tank with that one.
It has a 3.4 gallon fuel tank and will run 18 hours at 25%. Never have run it more then a few hours during the day and a few first thing in morning. being an inverter genny it is good on fuel. Engine RPM correlates with load. It,s a 224 cc OHV four stroke. Got a LED display for fuel readings , power output etc.
Weight just under 100 Lbs.
Old 03-18-2024, 12:03 PM

Quote:
It has a 3.4 gallon fuel tank and will run 18 hours at 25%. Never have run it more then a few hours during the day and a few first thing in morning. being an inverter genny it is good on fuel. Engine RPM correlates with load. It,s a 224 cc OHV four stroke. Got a LED display for fuel readings , power output etc.
Weight just under 100 Lbs.
Well that's a plus for sure. About the same run time as my Yamaha 3000. But way lighter package, remote start and a lot cheaper.

I've been googling them a bit and the reviews are all over the map. Lots of positive, but a fair bit of failures and poor part availability for repairs.

Nice to get some positive info from someone whos got a bit of time with one Thanks.
Old 03-18-2024, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp hunter View Post
Just curious how many hours you have on it? Does it use a separate starter?
Have approx 100 hrs on it , not many but so far so good. Supposed to have a small coke can sized starter