Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2024, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
Criminals carry cell phones and call police really fast for help.

RCMP miss some people more than others. I suspect you or I would not be missed
Odd my buddy in the lower mainland plays baseball with the local junkies on at the min bi weekly in Chilliwack without an issue . He is not the only one I know like this. I know of multiple instances here in Alberta too both rural and in the city.

I bet if I show this thread to the officers my son trains with they will just be shaking their heads

Here is reality yes there are laws that protect criminals, criminals are not rushing to dial 911 during a crime, majority of officers have no interest in charging an average citizen over a criminal, and finally if you don’t think there is officers who will do their best to turn a blind eye you are kidding yourself

In the past I have even been pulled aside and basically told to not speak well the officer told me what took place so he could write his report in a manner that would make it easier to ignore what took place

Of course there is going to be those officers who are not going to be like this and enforce all laws. This is why you don’t phone in when you cross that line

I know from your past posts you have had a negative experience with the RCMP that wrecked your trust and I get that. But the reality is they are not all the same and they don’t like the scum out there either
Old 03-16-2024, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Except this is Canada, if you are loading, because you intend to use a firearm, you become the criminal, and the thief becomes the victim, even if he was willing to harm/kill you, to get your vehicle. In Canada, you are supposed to run away or hide , and just leave your home and belongings to any thief with that wants to kick your door in. The next step, will be to tell us not to lock our doors, so the thieves don't hurt themselves breaking in.
You definitely need to leave firearms out of any conflict. That means don’t even use them as a scare tactic. As soon as you pull a firearm odds are you are screwed. Knife or bow or other sharp objects are also right up there as a bad idea

This is where Canada sucks when defending yourself

You have to tread the line a little
Old 03-16-2024, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
You definitely need to leave firearms out of any conflict. That means don’t even use them as a scare tactic. As soon as you pull a firearm odds are you are screwed. Knife or bow or other sharp objects are also right up there as a bad idea

I used to play a lot of baseball/fastball. Think I need a little batting practice! That's why the bat was beside the door!!!
Old 03-16-2024, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabbo View Post
I used to play a lot of baseball/fastball. Think I need a little batting practice! That's why the bat was beside the door!!!
I have been advised against the beside the door bat or anything beside the door because it shows your act was premeditated
Old 03-16-2024, 09:04 AM

Quote:
I have been advised against the beside the door bat or anything beside the door because it shows your act was premeditated
Not at all, just put it there when I came in from practice and forgot about it??
Old 03-16-2024, 09:37 AM

A can of wasp spray and a blinding strobe light to keep them busy while I pull the 8" meat cleaver out of the knife block
Old 03-16-2024, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Not at all, just put it there when I came in from practice and forgot about it??
I get what you’re saying and if it was up to me it wouldn’t matter

I am just following advice I was given and I know others who were told the same
Old 03-16-2024, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
A can of wasp spray and a blinding strobe light to keep them busy while I pull the 8" meat cleaver out of the knife block
Yeah you are going to jail
Old 03-16-2024, 10:13 AM

A whip! It can be a good teaching tool. Like the one Indy Jones was using…
And you can always claim that you were playing some s&m with a wifey a night before and just left it by the door…
Old 03-16-2024, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Yeah you are going to jail
I get what you're saying Smoky, but many people have had enough and it's very obvious, nothing will change until we get a government with some BALLS! Many years back, a Calgary drug store owner ended up shooting a fleeing robber in the back! Pretty sure he killed the guy! His store had been robbed many times at gun point!! Members of his family, wife, daughters etc were terrified! He did get charged, but there was such a public outcry I think the prosecutor ended up staying all charges.

It's a sad day when the government makes legal, law abiding firearms owners jump through hoops and over hurdles, while at the same time reducing minimum sentences for smuggling illegal guns!!

The people stealing cars these days are very sophisticated! They actually go shopping for vehicles for foreign buyers. Buyers pick what make, model, even the color they want and the thieves go get it!! Wouldn't doubt they even bribe people in the licensing offices to find vehicles for them.
Yes, we're encroaching into the realm of vigilantism, but the police are beating their brains out and the courts turn these are so's loose in less than 24 hours and it's business as usual!!
Old 03-16-2024, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
A whip! It can be a good teaching tool. Like the one Indy Jones was using…
And you can always claim that you were playing some s&m with a wifey a night before and just left it by the door…
Bwaaaahhaaa! Spit coffee all over the keyboard!!
Old 03-16-2024, 10:44 AM

Quote:
I get what you're saying Smoky, but many people have had enough and it's very obvious, nothing will change until we get a government with some BALLS! Many years back, a Calgary drug store owner ended up shooting a fleeing robber in the back! Pretty sure he killed the guy! His store had been robbed many times at gun point!! Members of his family, wife, daughters etc were terrified! He did get charged, but there was such a public outcry I think the prosecutor ended up staying all charges.

It's a sad day when the government makes legal, law abiding firearms owners jump through hoops and over hurdles, while at the same time reducing minimum sentences for smuggling illegal guns!!

The people stealing cars these days are very sophisticated! They actually go shopping for vehicles for foreign buyers. Buyers pick what make, model, even the color they want and the thieves go get it!! Wouldn't doubt they even bribe people in the licensing offices to find vehicles for them.
Yes, we're encroaching into the realm of vigilantism, but the police are beating their brains out and the courts turn these are so's loose in less than 24 hours and it's business as usual!!
I get what you’re saying and I am not the guy who thinks you should do nothing. I am just stating the sad reality that you have to take steps to cover your rear when you cross that line.

The fact is if no cops are involved you can get away with anything but it’s wise to tread a bit of a line so if someone does call them it’s easier for the officer to turn a blind eye.

The stuff I am stating is trying to improve your odds of not having an issue if you end up dealing with it yourself.

I learned long ago calling the cops doesn’t fix the problem because our laws suck so I learned to tread a bit of a line instead
Old 03-16-2024, 11:02 AM

Pretty soon they will tell us to leave our gun safes unlocked or better yet leave our guns outside by the doorstep so they don't have to break into the house to get them. Then they can blame us and charge us with unsafe storage.
Old 03-16-2024, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Pretty soon they will tell us to leave our gun safes unlocked or better yet leave our guns outside by the doorstep so they don't have to break into the house to get them. Then they can blame us and charge us with unsafe storage.
Things are getting way beyond stupid.
Old 03-16-2024, 11:39 AM

Quote:

I thought the pharmacist got time out of that but maybe I'm remembering wrong?
Old 03-16-2024, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Odd my buddy in the lower mainland plays baseball with the local junkies on at the min bi weekly in Chilliwack without an issue . He is not the only one I know like this. I know of multiple instances here in Alberta too both rural and in the city.

I bet if I show this thread to the officers my son trains with they will just be shaking their heads

Here is reality yes there are laws that protect criminals, criminals are not rushing to dial 911 during a crime, majority of officers have no interest in charging an average citizen over a criminal, and finally if you don’t think there is officers who will do their best to turn a blind eye you are kidding yourself

In the past I have even been pulled aside and basically told to not speak well the officer told me what took place so he could write his report in a manner that would make it easier to ignore what took place

Of course there is going to be those officers who are not going to be like this and enforce all laws. This is why you don’t phone in when you cross that line

I know from your past posts you have had a negative experience with the RCMP that wrecked your trust and I get that. But the reality is they are not all the same and they don’t like the scum out there either
I pray you are right about some being good. I suspect it depends on who happens to be on duty. I know what happened to me so extremely hard for me to every trust them. However my Reeve doesn't live far from me. He caught a guy at night in his yard steeling gas and he held him there at gun point until mounties showed up. Everything went as should.
Another rancher west of me caught a guy and girl with loading their truck with stolen things from his mother's house at his mothers yard. He pulled his gun and the crooks already called 911 and guess who got out of jail first.
Old 03-16-2024, 12:13 PM

Quote:

Barry Holland wrote a great book on how to legally defend yourself and property in Canada. I highly recommend it.

"NO MORE MR.NICE-GUY, A GUIDE TO DEFENDING YOURSELF, FAMILY, AND PROPERTY IN CANADA", BARRY HOLLAND

https://ctomsinc.com/products/book-n...-barry-holland
Old 03-16-2024, 12:30 PM

Quote:
I pray you are right about some being good. I suspect it depends on who happens to be on duty. I know what happened to me so extremely hard for me to every trust them. However my Reeve doesn't live far from me. He caught a guy at night in his yard steeling gas and he held him there at gun point until mounties showed up. Everything went as should.
Another rancher west of me caught a guy and girl with loading their truck with stolen things from his mother's house at his mothers yard. He pulled his gun and the crooks already called 911 and guess who got out of jail first.
Best way to look at is a cop/rcmp officer is just another member of society hired to a job. In any workplace you are going to find a mix of good, bad, lazy, and hard workers. I have met officers I respect and others that are real pieces of crap

Quality varies and they are all different individuals is the best way to put it

Yeah with the stories you just mentioned that is where because of Canadian law you are taking a gamble as soon as the firearms is involved. Remember when an officer pulls up he has laws and policies he has to follow even if he doesn’t agree with them. Now when you have multiple officers show up it also becomes more difficult for them to have a blind eye to things as well especially if they don’t all agree on how to handle it. This can result in every thing by our crappy laws. Firearms is going to result in multiple officers

This is why I have said you need to tread a line that doesn’t create as much attention

Now that I know a firearm was involved causing a thief to call 911 I am not surprised. The risk of being shot vs calling the cops and getting charged with theft causes a criminal to weigh the odds

Until our laws change if they ever do picking up a firearm or a bladed weapon shows possible intent of deadly force and killing an individual(scum or not) is a greater crime than theft

Knock half of their teeth out with your work boots doesn’t trigger the same issues as pulling out a firearm even if you don’t touch them at all

It’s not that I agree with this but it is what it is
Old 03-16-2024, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Best way to look at is a cop/rcmp officer is just another member of society hired to a job. In any workplace you are going to find a mix of good, bad, lazy, and hard workers. I have met officers I respect and others that are real pieces of crap

Quality varies and they are all different individuals is the best way to put it

Yeah with the stories you just mentioned that is where because of Canadian law you are taking a gamble as soon as the firearms is involved. Remember when an officer pulls up he has laws and policies he has to follow even if he doesn’t agree with them. Now when you have multiple officers show up it also becomes more difficult for them to have a blind eye to things as well especially if they don’t all agree on how to handle it. This can result in every thing by our crappy laws. Firearms is going to result in multiple officers

This is why I have said you need to tread a line that doesn’t create as much attention

Now that I know a firearm was involved causing a thief to call 911 I am not surprised. The risk of being shot vs calling the cops and getting charged with theft causes a criminal to weigh the odds

Until our laws change if they ever do picking up a firearm or a bladed weapon shows possible intent of deadly force and killing an individual(scum or not) is a greater crime than theft

Knock half of their teeth out with your work boots doesn’t trigger the same issues as pulling out a firearm even if you don’t touch them at all

It’s not that I agree with this but it is what it is
I'm old but I'm no Mike Tyson. Physically I would stand no chance against young person.
I really would not want to shoot anyone. Last resort I guess nobody would want to get shot in foot. Not even with rimfire 22. Rock salt loaded in shotgun might have value.
There is a section of land west of me were private owner allows people to enjoy. Its grass with creek and kind of secluded but close to town. Some people went on there and left their garbage . basically lunch and liquor bottles but they were also target shooting. Lots of surplus 7.62x39 and 9 mm luger everywhere. Military hard ball and wrong time of year for hunter's. Makes you wonder who is around and with what.
Old 03-17-2024, 08:13 PM

Default Key and Fob

I dont leave them next to the doors but they can get there in about 3 seconds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240302_171707.jpg (53.3 KB, 98 views)

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 03-17-2024, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Some of the best home security

My dog is good for barking and letting me know what is around. He would also be on a thief in 3 seconds but from there he would just be looking for attention or a treat
Old 03-17-2024, 11:06 PM

Quote:
I hope you have plenty of extra large heavy duty garbage bags at your disposal…Or you are planning of feeding them?
Old 03-18-2024, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
I hope you have plenty of extra large heavy duty garbage bags at your disposal…Or you are planning of feeding them?
ever thrown a piece of meat in with a flock of chickens? first time I threw a mouse in I was amazed how fast it dissappeared . plus quality meat based dog food is quite expensive

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 03-18-2024, 09:48 AM

I think dogs only work if somebody is scared of them.
The problem for me with dogs is keeping them home without tying them. Big commitment. Have to be physically able to walk and do stuff with them. Physically I would rather be doing other things.
Used to be able years ago to get I guess what you would call a res dog. Basically free,smart, would let you know if somebody was around. Everybody I know now just has border collies, healers or Germany Sheppard. Healers kill cats.Sheppard high maintenance. Collies need a job
Old 03-18-2024, 09:53 AM

Maybe in the near future AI will find a solution for this .
Old 03-18-2024, 10:52 AM

Quote:
I think dogs only work if somebody is scared of them.
The problem for me with dogs is keeping them home without tying them. Big commitment. Have to be physically able to walk and do stuff with them. Physically I would rather be doing other things.
Used to be able years ago to get I guess what you would call a res dog. Basically free,smart, would let you know if somebody was around. Everybody I know now just has border collies, healers or Germany Sheppard. Healers kill cats.Sheppard high maintenance. Collies need a job
There has been many interviews with ex thieves saying dogs in general are a deterrent because of the barking alerting people alone it’s not just fear
Old 03-18-2024, 11:21 AM

Quote:
ever thrown a piece of meat in with a flock of chickens? first time I threw a mouse in I was amazed how fast it dissappeared . plus quality meat based dog food is quite expensive
Yes I have heard about that from the farmer that I buy my eggs from… He said that they are vicious cold blooded killers! He said that he moves the chicken enclosure around and let them loose in a barn - no need for a cat!
Old 03-18-2024, 11:44 AM

Quote:
There has been many interviews with ex thieves saying dogs in general are a deterrent because of the barking alerting people alone it’s not just fear
Exactly! Barking dogs bring attention, and theives don't want that. And then there is the risk of a dog being aggressive with strangers. And the best part is, if a thief breaks into your home, and a dog does tear them up, the dog can't be charged.
Old 03-18-2024, 02:39 PM

Quote:
I thought the pharmacist got time out of that but maybe I'm remembering wrong?
I used to live in that neighborhood, Marda Loop. I believe he got off scott free, even though he had a shotgun stashed under the counter because he'd been robbed a couple of times. He was worried about his wife's safety because she worked in the store as well.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 03-19-2024, 12:10 AM

What’s next,- leave some milk & cookies beside my keys at the front door?